Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Split bones for dummies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deere boy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Deere boy

Deere boy

Let me start by saying that I know little about hot rods though I know a little about A Fords because my dad restored them when I was a kid.
    At any rate, I am trying to build a speedster using as many John Deere parts as possible. The engine is Deere and it is coupled to a model A three speed and car rear axle. I am not using the Ford bell housing. In my first few test drives I have found that the thing is too fast in low gear to putt around shows, so I am planning to change the three speed to a four. A four is a couple of inches longer so I will have to cut down the drive shaft. This is going to mess up where the rear wishbone attaches. So I guess I need to buy one of these ball joint kits, cut the bones and attach them to the frame?
    Am I thinking right?

2. Rear bones mount to drive shaft,front to bell.Which is your problem?

3. curious, what John Deere engine are you using?

4. If your not using Henry's bell housing, what are they attached to now?

5. Deere boy

Deere boy

LUC. About the same HP as a model T Ford

6. Deere boy

Deere boy

Rear, I will be taking three inches out of the drive shaft and torque tube, so they will no longer fit.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Shorten them up and reattach to the shortened torque tube. Photos would also be helpful to see what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  8. Deere boy

Deere boy

I can get some photos, but right now it looks like any other model A car with a three speed.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Post some photos of what you have BEFORE you start cutting anything.

10. alchemy

alchemy

If you have the talent to shorten the torquetube and the driveshaft, you certainly have enough to shorten up the rear wishbones too. Do as said above, just cut them to fit the new location of the tab on the shortened torquetube. They aren't too delicate, you can't hurt them. Might require a slight bend at the rear of the wishbone to meet closer in the center at the front. Use a hot wrench to heat the tube and pull in gently.

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. Hot wrench= torch.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don’t buy this one till I see pictures

13. fortynut

fortynut

Did I just hear the theme music from The Twilight Zone? Beam me up Scotty!

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I've seen old Fords turned into speedsters. And I've seen old Fords turned into tractors. But I've never seen an old tractor turned into a speedster. Post some pictures of this creation.