Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spindle Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by railroad, Oct 23, 2012.

1. railroad

railroad

I am trying to use a 37 to 41 front axle under a square tube frame for a 30 tudor. I would like to put the tie rod out front to allow more room for the split wishbones and the bottom of the frame. Can I swap sides with the spindles without messing up the built in geometry? I tired looking in the tech sec, but am still fuzzy eyed from all the reading. I also want to stick a set of 51 truck brakes on the front, to take advantage of the self energizing design. I have the brakes on hand, which is helpful also. I saw some articles on the bearing numbers, but most were for later model brakes.
    Thanks for any advise and insite on this issue.

2. 117harv

117harv

Yes and NO, more NO. Doing this messes up the Ackerman angles making the inside tire on a sharp turn, turn less than the outside, the exact oposite of what it should do. Do some redesign work and keep the tie rod behind the axle where it should be.

3. As stated above, it throws ackerman out the widow, BUT if you can heat/bend the tie rod ends out further, it puts it back into play.

4. railroad

railroad

I have a T bucket that the tie rod is in the front and I doubt the akerman is correct. I did not build it and it is a shorter wheel base than the tudor. It does scrub in slow sharp turns. I will rethink the tie rod location. I had considered putting offsets on each end of the tierod and maybe spacers, like for correcting bump steer, to move the tie rod up or down as needed. Any more suggestions. I will try to post some pics. I know that always seems to help.
    thanks,

5. 117harv

117harv

I take it that you have original spindles with the arms attached? If yes you can heat and bend them to get tie rod clearance. Also depending where you need the rod to go, different year wishbones may help as the yokes have dfferent shape. There are also dropped tie rod ends on the market to help with this problem.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014