Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedway Kwik Top fitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARPY, May 3, 2019.

1. CARPY

CARPY

hey guys, My girl just ordered a Kwik Top from speedway, I have a 28 Roadster with a 2 inched chopped stainless windshield, I want to fit that to the A-Bone but, I have seen no video's at all on fitting this set up, or even how to upholster it.
    Any one shed any light on this out here as it looks a little Rickety in the photos and doesnt tell you how the top secures to the windshield posts to stop it flying off when moving.
    Anybody help at all?

Attached Files:

2. I'd purchased same to try and make a folding top for a sport coupe. Didn't work, too short and wasn't going to butcher SS. I believe the front bow would mount with regular roadster parts which aren't included. Check Bratton's website. they're strictly Model A restoration stuff and pretty sure they have the roadster front bow parts.
    Chopping the side bows to match the w/s is almost like getting the frame set up first, then hold a 2" piece horizontal across the angles. trouble is when the top frame drops vertically, the angles won't quite match up. I remember
    Street Rodder magazine did just that, but back 2002-2009. If I come across it, I'll post. but try googling "How to chop roadster bows.

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm putting one on my roadster now. It comes with thumb screws to pinch into the top posts. I replaced them with knurled knobs from a '36, and I opened up the hole in the back of the windshield post so they actually thread into the post so there's no way it can lift up. I did a lot of cutting and welding on mine to get it to fit my 3" chop and get the profile I want. I also added a rear bow like a "bop top." It's at the trim shop now with a bunch of vintage photos so he trims it the way they used to be done, so I don't have any final product photos for you yet.
    20181112_213446.jpg 20181119_173117.jpg

Kreepea_1, dsiddons and kadillackid like this.
  4. Axle B

Axle B
    from RI

anymore info out there? did you guys finish yours?

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I did finish mine. I'm not crazy about how it came out, but I think it was more my upholstery guy than the top frame. I've got another guy lined up and we're going to take another stab at covering it again. I don't like the shape of the side window and it's too droopy between the bows even though it's drawn tight. 20190730_201901.jpg

A Boner and Kreepea_1 like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No easy feat, that roadster top! I've had three '27 T roadsters (full bodied, not 'bobtails') and the first one took 3 tries to get it to look 'right'. (My roadster was chopped 5", 'moderate' for a 'T'...But still took my rag man Mart 3 attempts, first was too low in rear...then the next looked like a 'Race Chop!??!' (Whaaat? What race?)
    Finally, a nice profile was gotten, with a 'B' pillar 'reverse slant' that looked like a 'T', only way lower.
    Wish I had a pic...

7. Axle B

Axle B
    from RI

thanks guys! just got my top irons, starting to figure it out. 28 with a 5" chop windshield. wish me luck!

pecker head likes this.
  8. pecker head

pecker head

Any updates ?

9. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

I just installed one on my 29
    with a 3 inch chop
    purchase the steel powder coated version, all the hardware is stainless steel
    made quite well
    had to V-cut the side rails to get the angle proper were they meet the windshield posts
    also made sleeves to fit into the post stantion bosses, otherwise it would wobble
    now just waiting to get into the trim shop

10. CSPIDY

CSPIDY