Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway disc. brake kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinky sr, Sep 1, 2012.

1. pinky sr

pinky sr
    from mi

has anyone used any of the speedway disc. brake kits for 53-54 chey spindles. i was looking at the wiwood kit but are the cheaper ones a good kit.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've got the same basic setup. Mines for early Ford spindles. Anyway, its a great kit and had everthing. Even races for the bearings. That was my main concern.

Wilwoods are great, but like you, I have to shop around and save my coin.

Good luck.

3. I agree with tfeverfred-Been working great for the last three years

4. I have had great success with Speedway disc brakes kits as well. One thing I do is make sure I use the GM midsize calipers. They work the best with most brake booster/master cylinder combos.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm using a Speedway kit as well,..on the 40, with the mid size GM calipers. That particular kit is exactly the same as Magnum Axel.

4TTRUK

6. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

I got the speedway kit for ford spindles and am very happy with it bolted right up with no problems.

7. I also have the Speedway kit for Ford spindles on my 34. They come with Chinese bearings though. I think I will change those as soon as I can find some made here.
    Just remember, you get what you pay for.

8. fordor41

fordor41

I have Speedway disc on my '41. I found that the bolts that mount the caliper brackets to the spindles were too short and had to turn some material off the backside of the spindle nut to allow the cotter pin to be installed. Other than that they assembled/work great

9. Word of caution buying the complete kit from Speedway. My friend bought a kit and the calipers were metric calipers, but drilled and tapped for the inlet for a 7/16 banjo fitting. So if he has to replace the caliper, he either HAS to buy it from speedway, or buy new hoses. :mad:

My advice. Buy the basic brackets and supply your own rotors and calipers so if you need to replace them you can just run to a parts house.

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The drilling taping does pose a problem with future failures, and at one time when drilling taping, they didn't get them drilled straight, and hoses would not seal at the calipers. Just beware

11. Weasel

Weasel

I can confirm the re-tapped metric banjos - leaked like a sieve. Would I buy Speedway brakes again - no way. This is a major fuck up in my book - these are brakes fer chrissakes....

12. sqhd

sqhd

Maybe try Scarebird's kit.

Carl

13. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Bought a speedway kit for my '60 and have the same problem with leaks at the hose and the bleeder screw. I didn't know they retapped them. Glad this thread came up, I was going to try and buy new hoses this week.
    If I buy new calipers too does anyone know the application that the speedway 16" hose matches to? The gm midsize hoses I've found are only about 11" long.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

S-10 calipers use metric threads but should be the same as pre-metric mid size calipers other than the threads

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I agree, I did the same thing.:)