Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Batwing warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Sep 27, 2009.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I do not want to start a thread bashing Speedway, I buy many parts from them, but if you are using the polished batwing (part number 916-35002) check the lower connection around the bung over.

I was getting ready for a show this weekend and noticed that the lower connection around the bung had cracked all the way across on the bottom. Both left and right side were broken. This scared the shit out of me. I drive my coupe very hard when I am out. So look your part over and hopefully it's just a fluke.

Attached Files:

2. Ooof! That's spooky. Good thing you caught it and thanks for the heads-up!

3. "Stainless"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

How old are those ?

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Around a year old.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

The reason I ask is I have a set of speedway mr roadster bat wings, and they have a lot more metal around the bottom where yours cracked and in there catalogue they show the heavier set like mine. Hmmm? John

My part #was 91635006
    They don't even show your part# 91635002 any more or I just couldn't find it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  7. 49 Custom

49 Custom

As I suspect most places do, Speedway distributes parts from many manufacturers. It's no excuse for defective parts, but it explains that while most of their components are just fine you have to be on the look out for lemons. Glad no one was hurt, and let us know how Speedway handles it if you contact them!

-Stefan

8. Deadbird

Deadbird

9. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Scarrrrrryyyyyyyy sounds like hydrogen embrittlement. not a good idea to chrome stressed parts. they need to be heat treated properly immediatly after chroming!
    Dont worry about bashing Speedway With the amount of outsourced crap they have taken to selling us I am outta there. Ask me about their Pertronix header kit sometime and their response WOW.

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

11. they look very spindlely

12. dino1

dino1
    from austin tx

looks like your wife almost owned Speedway....

13. made in china?

14. That would've been a nightmare down at the Texas mile!

15. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Holy Shit!!!!:eek: After you change your shorts, think very seriosly about the investment cast ones. Never had a problem with them! The ones that you broke, look scary to me before they broke. Glad you caught it before you had a major mishap!

16. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

That is just plain old scary. Good thing you caught that. Could've been disastrous.

17. RAY With

RAY With

According to The Speedway catalog there sold under the Mr. Roadster name.I have a pair on my 33 Roadster thats been on for close to 2 years and no sign of fatigue or breakage.I will keep an eye on them and this could be an isolated case here. Thanks for posting the information and pictures.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Obviously, any load-bearing part "could" conceivably develop stress fatigue. But, shouldn't critical parts like this be going through a routine inspection process (meaning one of several reliable TESTS, e.g., sonic, magnaflux, x-ray, etc.)?

20. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

From the close up pictures here. They look cheap and too light weight. I guess I would not have even put them on if they looked that bad when I first got them. But then it depends on how the company presents them. " Tested" etc.
    I sell stuff all the time and a lot of people only want to pay the "cheap junk price" for the good stuff. I do not sell anything that I would not use myself . Maybe the seller of this item should do the same. There ya go thats a polite way to say it.

21. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man that looks like 1/8 steel that part in that stress load should at least be 1/4 inch thick and heliarced by a code welder not ho chi men !!

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I sure would like to hear what speedway has to say about this..
    and would they switch out a set of those for the cast ones?
    as long as your front end is set up right..there should be no room for part failure like this, and owning up to it should not be an issue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  23. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i would like to know the rest of the suspension set up before jumping up and down about a part.

4 link or hair pins
    tube axle or I beam
    spring location

4t6ford likes this.
  24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

not for nothing ,but come on,,look at them ,,how thin they are,,all those welds..

was a thread a while back talking about good built wings,,I picked me up a pair of these beasts good chunky

also and not for nothing,,I see ohhhhh far to often on the site,," I need this part and I need it Cheap" and catalog buying most times that what you get and you get what you pay for,,

I find it even sader that the people making these parts care even less as the make them and have the balls to actually sell this stuff to people...

It may meet 'spec' but just barely,,thats a sad day

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They're also well known for taking someone else's product and having it popped over in China.

26. floored

floored

These appear to be the ones they are still selling on their polished 4 bar kits.

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are one Lucky SOB, thats kinda scary.
    Looks like a spring over axle I beam to me. If so that part failure through poor quality manufacture, nothing to do with the front end set up!
    Yes, would love to hear what Speedway have to say!

Doc.

28. I found a crack in both of my bat-wings in the boss where the perch bolt goes through. Don't know who made em but both sides were broke. They were really cheap looking when I changed em out with the cast ones.:eek: