Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedometer repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Herr Otto, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

The speedometer in my 61 apache is not working. The speedo cable up to the head does spin. Can I repair the speedo head myself or does it need to be sent out? If sent out, to where, who repairs speedometers?
    Thank you

31ster likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

There used to be a speedo repair shop in every good sized city...not so much, any more. I've been able to fix about half of them, but it helps to have several other clusters to scavenge parts from. The odometer gets sticky, the gears strip, the needle breaks off, the speedo gets sticky and needs lubrication, there's a bushing in there that wears out, etc. It's impossible to say if you can fix it yourself, but you can try...

3. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

4. Slopok

Slopok

Depending on where your located in Chicago there are plenty of local repair shops. Google Speedometer Repair.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

6. rfraze

rfraze

Ditto on Williamsons. Plus they can do custom work on it for you, should you want to change it's look.

7. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

I sent my speedometer from my 61 Apache out to get a quote on how much to repair it. The quote was $300.00 , which may be a good price but I am not prepared to pay that much. My truck is not going to be stock or a show truck, more like a rat rod. Does anyone have other options for me that will not cost an arm and a leg and that will give me an accurate reading of my speed?
    Thank you

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I literally just shipped a set of 36 Ford gauges to Bob's Speedometer this afternoon. Spoke to him and he said he will give a firm quote when they are with him. If we cannot agree on a price he will ship them back at his cost. Seems like a solid business practice. Will report back on the end product.

Getting a gas gauge converted from 6v to 12v and recalibrated to a 30-240 ohm sender and having him rebuild the speedo.

Heard good things about them, time will tell I guess.

9. I'll throw this out there-maybe rig a cheapie up, to get by with while you a) save up the needed bucks
    b) find one at a junkyard or swap meet.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sent you a PM check your in box

11. 30dodge54

30dodge54

Redoing a1930 dodge and converting to 12 volt,
    I would like to know if possible ,what bob's charging for conversion on fuel gage

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

Use HAMBer e1956v!! I sent him a 1935 Dodge speedometer that was not working. Not only did he fix it, he rebuilt it, cleaned it, buffed the lens, and set the odometer to the correct millage for my hot rod. He sent it back to me and told me not to pay him until I installed it and was happy with the work...WHAT!!!???? Talk about awesome service. I paid him immediately and thanked him for being such an upstanding guy. The price was right, too.

Another time he made me a custom speedometer cable. He sent it to me and told me not to pay him until it was installed and I was happy with it. Of course I paid him immediately. It's cool to know that there are still people out there that are honest, trust others, and truly care about their customers! e1956v Rules!!!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014