Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedometer needle removal Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scofflaw, Feb 12, 2009.

1. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

I've searched the archives but haven't found a conclusive answer:
    I have a 1954 Pontiac with a beautiful face but busted speedometer head. I have another core head that works really well but the speeo face is crap. My plan is to pop the needles off and just swap faces.
    I've read some posts that advise to pull straight up on the base of the needle to remove it; others advise to rotate the needle to it's limit then twist and pull up at the same time. I don't want to snap the shaft off so I figured I ask first for a change before I break something;)

What do you guys advise
    -Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

Pull up on it, if that doesn't work then try twisting it. Just make sure you hold the shaft and cup. Be careful, be patient.

3. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Man that was fast, Thanks for the advice

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Before you screw it up, check with a professional speedo repairman-somebody who's done it for years. Better yet, take it to him and let him do it.

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I've seen older ones with interference fit and newer ones screw on, not sure what you will find. BE CAREFUL and make a little tool to fit around the shaft and pull straight up. Good luck!