Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Speed Junky's '34 Ford pickup truck thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPDJNKY, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Happy wife/ happy life
    Did you get your panels yet?

2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

For what its worth, I like the third option, just looks meaner to me. If you end up at Kerrys, let me know, I'd take a ride with you.

3. Not yet, still waiting for the cab corners to get here. They said it should be this week.

4. The bed mockup looks great! Can't wait to see it shortened up.

5. I'm hijacking my own thread for a second.:D
    When I was 5 yrs old my dad took me for a ride on one of his custom bikes. I remember to this day the feeling I had on that bike. It was loud, fast, and obnocscious. I was hooked on anything hot rod, drag bike, and custom related from that day forward! He had Norton's, BSA's, Triumph's, etc but the CB750 ruined me.:D Dad sold it in 1976 to a friends son.
    Well I tracked the bike down about 12 years ago and called the owner about once a year to sell it to me. It sat in his garage buried under stuff for years. Never moved, never cared for. I finally cracked him and I picked it up yesterday. It is in rough shape with some parts missing. Hoping they find the matching side covers too. I plan to restore it back to the way it was when my dad owned it one bolt at a time. I'm trying to get the guy who originally painted it to do it again.
    In 1975 dad had it custom painted, and an 850 kit installed with cams and RC pipe. Seat has custom. Rear wheel was replaced with a wider Harley hoop. Tank and head light is from a 450. Motor bolt on pieces were chromed.
    Like I said this bike is what turned me on to motorcycles and hot rods.
    Yesterday was a GOOD day!
    Here's a couple pics from 76.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it was yesterday after a 2hr bath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Groovy! Glad you got it back!

7. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Glad to see you got this home and back in the family!

Mike

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool that you scored your pops ride , bet it brings back some old memories every time you look at it

9. I been working on the driver side cab corner and rear lower wall replacement.
    It's my first rodeo with patch panels so it took me about 8 hrs start to finish.:rolleyes:
    Here's a couple before and afters...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Needs a little more metal finishing but I'm happy with it so far.

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Great news you got that bike back. Surprised it didnt have 6 inch over fork tubes! I had a 75, nice bikes. Keep us posted. Where you at on the bed?

11. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Cab corners and lower cab patch look awesome! I'm going to have to do mine sooner then later. Have the patches , just haven't gotten around to them. Any tips?

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Keep up the good work. Stu

13. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

not sure how i missed this one , but bad ass build , lovin the fe power plant

14. Thanks! Hopefully tackle the passenger side this weekend.
    I appreciate you guys answering my questions at breakfast. Even the dumb questions. :)

Only tips I have is measure three times and cut once. Take your time with welding them in. I did a quarter of an inch at a time, hammer on dollied the weld and moved on. Use the correct size wire if you are mig welding.:) When I chopped the top I was using 030" in the beginning and was fighting myself until I realized what was wrong. I am no pro at this by any means, but these are a few things that worked for me.

I ordered a few parts needed to get it running again. Once I fire it up and take it for a ride I'll know what direction I'll take with tearing it down. My dad will see it this weekend after 35 years. He's pretty pumped.
    I am waiting for the stake pockets to come in from Macs before I go any further with the bed. I have the proportions correct now though.

15. Thanks!

16. Nice work Brian. I hope you didnt keep your helper up too late .

17. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks

Looking good :)

18. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

I am late to this build Very nice job

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Brian, somehow I have been missing this thread and didn't realize it was you building it. As you mentioned in your PM we are friends from other forums. I'm a little slow sometimes, sorry. :eek:

Your pickup looks great. I have a soft spot for these 32-34 pickups, and like them just the way you are doing yours. Nice job. I am subscribing so I don't miss your updates.

Don

20. Thanks man!

Thanks for the nice comments Don. I have mucho respect for you and your son Dan's craftmanship and hot rods. Your modified and Dan's RPU are killer!

I got burned out and over whelmed with the build a couple of months ago so I took some time off. I started back up this week though. I obtained a rust free straight passenger door. I'm almost done chopping and re-welding it. I also started on the new bed. So stay tuned its full steam ahead again.

Brian

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Been following this thread from afar but I love every piece of it. Good to see this thread is back and alive.

22. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Is that bed long enough to hold the honda?

23. Still plugging along on the truck. Trying to get the bed sides finished up. Front panel and rear pan of the bed are done. Mounted the rear coil overs. I can't say enough about Ridetech's customer service. Shit arrives when they say it will. I drilled the holes for the visor and the rear roll pan. Waiting for the 3" dimple dies to arrive. Here's some more boring pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Inching along on the truck. I cut the new passenger door and tacked and fitted it. Still needs to be finish welded. Cut out the cancer in the passenger cab corner and lower wall bead and made up some new pieces today.
    [​IMG]

Before...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

I wish I had a lift to do this shit. :D

25. A little sneak peak at the bed sides. I had them bead rolled thru a Pullmax this time around since I needed to change the length of them anyways. The beads are nice and wide and deep. They will look more stock'ish this time around.
    Still need to find time to weld on the stake pockets and upper rails.
    [​IMG]
    I still plan to graph this Ford script into the homemade tailgate. Hoefully without warping the hell out of it. :D
    [​IMG]

26. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Very nice, keep us posted. A long winter coming, this bad boy might be running in the spring.

27. BIGMIKE@RIDETECH

BIGMIKE@RIDETECH
    from JASPER, IN

Nice Coilovers !!! Did you go fixed valve or single adjustable?

28. Their single adjustable.

29. Those bed sides are pretty sweet and that's a lot of tubing around that rear section..lol

30. Thanks Greg. I'd love to be driving it by next summer.