Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speed Bleeders Pros and Cons????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 27, 2013.

1. n847

n847

I'm just about to finish out my disc swap on the Plymouth. Since I already had a late model M/C I shouldn't need to bench bleed it. I pluged the lines under the car during dissassembly. I've been thinking about seting the fronts up with speed bleeders. I found them from Dorman on rockauto for under $10 shipped.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or concerns before I proceede. I don't know many people who have used them in the past!

Thanks in advance!
    Nate

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

They make one-man bleeding easy. I used them once, I like them.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The best thing ever invented for self bleeding your brakes. I use them.

4. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I've had them on my truck for six or seven years without a problem.
    Well worth the ten bucks.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

All pros no cons. My Son has them on his rpu and it was the first time we had ever used them. Really made it easier and we got a better bleed because it wasn't sucking air back in. I plan on using them on my own rpu when the time comes.

Don

6. Fogger

Fogger

Another positive on the speed bleeders. I used the Russell parts and they do make a one person brake bleed very easy.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Every running vehicle I own with disc brakes has them. First thing I do when servicing the brakes. On my late models I inspect the brakes every 20K, deglaze rotors, scuff pads, regrease, reassemble, bleed off 1\4-1\2 qt of fluid on each corner. Friends think I'm crazy.

8. slodat

slodat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have them on my car and it makes self bleeding brakes so easy. 3 years and no trouble yet.

I will be putting them on my other cars when I need to bleed brakes.

9. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

and were can one purchase these critters? :eek:

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

11. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

awesome but one question do they have for the old cars? 46 dodge or just match up the size?

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yes, the size and thread count is important.

Don

13. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

right on i'll pull one out tomorrow since i need to bleed brakes anyways after im done with the drums and greasing..

thanks Don

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You got it, bud. You will like them a lot.

Don

15. they are WAAAYYY easier than getting my friends to actually show up at the shop to bleed brakes:D

16. Putting them on my daily when I do the disc conversion and rear brake rebuild this summer. I cant get anyone to help me bleed brakes either!:D

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pros: solo bleeding. Cons: does not come with cold beer.

18. there were some realy cool ones posted the other day that had a screw with a seal and a hose nipple where were they

19. n847

n847

Ok stupid question then...How the hell do they work? I understand they have a check valve that allows the air past and not the fluid, but do I just crack them open then re-tighten after I'm finished or what. It just seems too easy to be true! Obviously I haven't done my research on these yet!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Do they make them for early 40,s ford?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yep,

Roy Naciwicz (734) 654-9450

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369741815.926510.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369741835.657608.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369741856.360498.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  22. n847

n847

I assume you still have to do one wheel at a time?

23. I wonder if this product would work when bleeding a hydraulic clutch with an external slave cylinder?

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

They let air AND fluid out, just the same as bleeding with a normal bleed screw. The coated threads and check valve just won't allow it to suck back in.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They let air AND fluid out, but the check valve prevents any air from getting sucked back INTO the wheel cylinder when the brake pedal is released. So you just pump the brake pedal a few times, close the valve, refill the M/C reservoir, and move on to the next wheel..

27. n847

n847

Ok that makes more sense! The way it was explained to me was no fluid comes out! Thanks all!

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Originally Posted by n847 [​IMG]
    Ok stupid question then...How the hell do they work? I understand they have a check valve that allows the air past and not the fluid, but do I just crack them open then re-tighten after I'm finished or what. It just seems too easy to be true! Obviously I haven't done my research on these yet!

Yep, we found you can turn them loose a bit more than the directions say and you get a better flow. The special sealant on the threads keeps air from going back into the wheel cylinder, as does the check valve inside the bleeder. I immerse the rubber hose end into clean fluid so I can see bubbles coming out, and when you see no more bubbles you tighten down that bleeder and move to the next wheel.

Although one person can do it by themselves it is still easier with two as one can be watching for bubbles in the fluid coming out and also making sure the MC doesn't run low on fluid while the other person pumps the pedal.

The biggest advantage IMO is not having to continually be loosening and tightening the bleeder as the pedal is pumped. You just loosen it a little till fluid will flow, then you don't touch it again until you are done with that wheel, at which time you retighten it.

Don

29. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I added speed bleeders to the wife's MGA a couple of months back when rebuilding the brakes. They worked great but I just couldn't get a solid pedal. Remembered a deceptively simply tool I used to use back in the UK as a kid, the Gunson Ezibleed system. You pressurize it from the closest tyre to the M/C. Hooked it up and hey presto, solid pedal in a few seconds. Could also be used instead of speed bleeders.

http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=664&item=1818

There is a company here in the US that sells it now. If anyone needs contact info I will post it.