Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speaking of 327's( update with lipstick)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always been a short stroke guy (insert tacky joke here). I love the 265,283 and 327's. The funny thing is, my dad, who is 80 years old is doing an LS1 conversion and he keeps trying to convert me. It makes sense in my head, but I don't like the idea of starting over. I think I may be like the old wooden spoke model T guys I used to make fun of.

2. 48stude

48stude

They run the cam in this morning .Later in the day they started tuning the center carb. I took a video but, when I try to upload it I get the file is too big. I'm not savvy enough to know how to fix it:confused: Bill

3. You need to load it onto YouTube then post the link.

48stude likes this.
  4. 48stude

48stude

This run is on the center carb only ,the end carbs are blocked. John had just opened up the jets from 55 to 58,modified the accelerator pump spring,modified the power valve spring and opened the idle tubes. After this run he is still going to make more mods to the carb .. Bill

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looking forward to numbers!

48stude likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

My guess is 331 hp at 5500.

Tickety Boo and 48stude like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buddy and I owned a 1968 Chevrolet station wagon we raced in NHRA stock eliminator.M class.
    327 4-speed. Every run we made we dumped the clutch at 7,000 rpm.
    That ol' 327 never broke.Never lost a clutch.
    Not bad for a cough,cough,err factory stock engine.
    Passed tech every time as well.

Clay Belt, Fordors and 48stude like this.
  8. Got my 327 done and dyno'ed last year, in the car in spring and enjoyed it over the summer, such awesome motors. Looking forward to seeing your pulls

48stude likes this.
  9. 48stude

48stude

After a week of modifying the idle systems ,power valve, accelerator pumps,main jetting ,the venturi booster cluster, emulsion tubes and air bleeds, John finally got the air fuel ratio at 12.5 at idle ,POT and WOT. Along with the BSFC at around 5. Just yesterday the carbs and the engine were finally liking each other. It has wonderful manners. It will idle at 540 rpm on the dyno. If you slam the throttle to WOT ,it will do so without any hesitation and with no black smoke. I love the crisp sound, it starts within one revolution . Now for the numbers. At 5400 rpm It measured 311 hp. At 3600 rpm 360 lbs of torque. After 5500 the power dives because of the limitations of the manifold. John asked me if I wanted to try a 6000 rpm pull and I said makes no sense. Those are the numbers off the top of my head as things were starting to heat up in Wellsburg because of the 2" of rain the Thursday night which was causing the Ohio river to swell onto main street and John is a volunteer fireman and we had to cut things short. Now here is the fly in the ointment, they know that this dynos numbers are skewed to the light side, the more horsepower an engine makes the farther the horsepower is off. So we can only speculate as to the true HP. I would say that the guesses made here are probably closer to the true Hp. But that's all speculation . I wanted this tripower to work and that's why they put it on the dyno where you get instant feed back. I am extremely happy with this 327 and can't wait to drive it around in my roadster. I've added a video of the last pull . Bill

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Kan Kustom, UNCLECHET, slim38 and 4 others like this.
  10. rmorris

rmorris

11. rmorris

rmorris

I also had a k/sa, L/SA 1967 Chevy Caprice that I ran IHRA and NHRA with 327/275 hp motor. With 5:38 gears and 29" tall tire it would go through lights at 7200 still pulling. It had balanced/blueprinted motor and a legal cheater cam.

Fordors likes this.
  12. 48stude

48stude

Been adding some jewelry and lipstick.:D Bill
    P1020361.JPG

13. The 327 in my'40 coupe will pull 6700 rpm easily........started life as a 375 HP motor, but now has an Isky cam slightly better than the original 30-30 cam, ported heads and a few mods to the Rochester FI. '40 deluxe coupe - 327 FI engine.jpg

Has original GM forged pistons. With 3.70 gears it got 18 mpg on a 1100 mile trip. Real easy to drive around town also.

j-jock, 48stude, bowie and 2 others like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for posting this, it's always interesting to see what some of our favorite combinations really do.
    It's somewhat distressing to hear how much work they had to do to get the Rochesters to perform the way you wanted them to. I have a similar set up on my roadster so this is of special interest to me. I haven't messed with mine that much other than a basic jet change due to it being seriously rich. The little 283 will be replaced later this spring so I'll wait til then to tinker with it some more.
    PntFrwl (2).JPG

j-jock and 48stude like this.
  15. 48stude

48stude

Watching John rework the carbs was a real education which I really enjoyed. The jetting ended up being 59 in the center carb and 61 in the end carbs Bill

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Deuces, 48stude and bchctybob like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Mine had 58s in the center carb but the plugs were black and sooty. I overshot a little; I went all the way down to 52s (its a fresh but wimpy 283) but it's too lean. I'll try 54s or 55s next. The ends are blocked off temporarily while I get the center working better, then I'll bring the end carbs back in the mix. Like I mentioned, I hope to replace the little Chevy with a new 345" Olds Rocket using the same carbs on a vintage Edelbrock manifold sometime late spring or early summer, then start all over again, LOL.

48stude likes this.
  18. 48stude

48stude

It looks like your carbs are the large base which are bigger as far as cfm goes. Mine are the small base 275 cfm
    That sounds very cool to me.:) Bill

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, the Olds is almost done at the machine shop. I've been collecting parts (and $$) for quite a while. Now I have to decide; B&M Hydro or S-10 5 spd. I had both the flywheel and the flex plate balanced. The car isn't set up for a clutch pedal as it is now though. I've been enjoying the car with the little Chevy 'til I get the Olds ready. You're gonna love that roadster with that peppy 327.
    By the way - like the way you dressed up the engine.....
    My '31 Tudor sedan, I sold a while back. I've been kinda stuck on those 3x2 set-ups I guess.
    sedan82013 018.jpg sedan82013 003.jpg

calredneck, 48stude and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

48stude likes this.
  21. 48stude

48stude

They do have their own personality. I look forward to seeing your Olds motor all done. By the way I'm digging both of your A's Bill

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bchctybob likes this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Beautiful motor. What does the angle milling do ?

23. 48stude

48stude

Thank you , I appreciate it!:)
    The short answer is to reduce the volume of the combustion chamber. My son had these heads done 15 yrs or so ago by a shop that specialized in super stock motors. Back then acid porting, angle milling and etc were ways to kind of legally cheat. Actually these heads would work way better with a single plane four barrel manifold and a cam that makes higher rpm power. But ,my son wanted that I should use these heads and I wanted the tripower. The marine cam makes tons of low end torque that kind of offsets the not enough low end port velocity of the heads.:rolleyes: Bill

24. Cool ride... I’m also a 327 fan. Haven’t done much in the way of upgrades to the my 327 yet. Gonna work out the kinks this summer and maybe go roller setup and tripower next year.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob likes this.
  25. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Roothawg has it right!!
    upload_2018-3-8_13-21-25.png
    Beautiful 327!!

48stude likes this.
  26. 48stude

48stude

Cool car you have there! When I started thinking about this build ,I was really wanting to run a Hallock style windshield. But I couldn't figure out a top so I changed directions back the stock style windshield. In this part of the country there are just a hand full of good roadster days that you can enjoy without a top or I'm just getting old.....:eek: Bill

39 Aaron NZ likes this.