Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark? problem; or, i swear i am going to kill my truck with me in it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Jan 14, 2009.

1. sun down

sun down
    from tx

if it has new plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, dist, rotor and the timing is ok then do you think it might be in the ignition switch...??

2. 50merc808

50merc808

don't know if someone has mentioned this yet but....i'm curious
    1;Is the ballast getting hot with just KEY ON?
    2;Is the dizzy/rotor even spinning? kinda stupid question since you are changing/gapping points i'm sure it is.
    3;did you ever get her to have a good clean spark yet?

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ANNNND WHATs THE TEMP,AND HAS IT SNOWED ANY MORE:D keep chugging my friend

4. At this point, I agree with the idea of just setting it on fire,,,,with or without you in the back. This thng has even pissed me off way down in Texas

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

you might want to take a break from it for a while so you dont go nuts forget what i said earier i think your fighting the choke is it manual or electric dont keep it closed all the way use a knife from the kitchen pour a small amount of gas in carb make sure choke is almost closed use knife in between carb and butterfly sit in car and crank should fire it ran when it was warm soon i would insure it get fire insurance find some one you dont like then torch them both that way you have an alibi collect your money and buy a new one good luck and only kidding i dont know your state of mind john and his2 cents

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

there is a WAY TO CHECK YOUR WIRES continuity test im sure another hamber could help i dont know what the reading should be my parts guy knows ill get back to you with more information john . ohmstest

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

called my parts guy reading should be 5-7000 ohms per foot of wire the coils i was talking about were internal and external your coil should be marked .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

nothing? the theme from jepordy is playing.................over and over and over.................................and....

9. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

You still alive? not that it really matters cause people are expendable but i just thought id check and hopefully some one put the fire out on the truck and its for sale cheap.. :)
    Its the american way ay know.. you get pissed enuff to kill yourself over a fucking truck and i buy it get it running and sell it for a profit.. You need my number ?
    Dave :)

10. I think I know what the Problem is........................................
    the Muffler Bearing is Grounding out!
    Change that & it will Start....mabey..lol
    I wish I was Closer but were having the Same Weather & I can't work in this
    Cold, Temps its supposed Warm up by the Weekend

11. ok back to basics. is the dist turning (pull cap and watch), is it getting signal (test probe on neg side of coil with other end on pos side of battery it should blink when cranking).

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i am still alive, for the moment. i might pm you for your number though, dave...

i have been back at school, not an easy thing for an old man, and still working full time, so i haven't looked at it in a couple days. but i am obligation and child free all weekend, so i will have victory before monday.

either that or my next of kin will be phoning dave with an offer. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I do like a guy that can take some shit :D
    Good luck..
    Dave

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it runs! hallelujah, God almighty, it runs!

today i checked for spark at the points, and had it. i checked for spark at the plugs, and had it, bu weakly. i changed the cap, rotor, and installed new plugs, and it fired off and runs.

i do still have a misfire, and it is backfiring, which means it isn't getting spark to all cylinders all the time. so i think it probably needs wires too. am i right in the assumption?

it will start at the first turn of the key now though...

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thank God!!!! Good job, GeneralGow!!!! Way to stick it out!!!!

16. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Oh, how I love a happy ending....

17. noboD

noboD

Good for you, General. Now, what fixed it?

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, it actually fired when the plugs were replaced. but i am not convinved it was the problem in the beginning. i think i probably fouled them. i think it was one of the tune up items. probably the cap or rotor.

i do still have a misfire, and it backfires. so there is some fuel in there not igniting when it should. i will rpelace the wires to see if they provide better flow to the plugs and smooth that out.

the last time it backfired, it was so loud the neighbors came out to see if everyone was still alive. and i think it blew a hole in a muffler.

but it runs. and it starts cold too. just went out and started it again.

19. sun down

sun down
    from tx

nice to hear, you might watch it run at night and see if you can
    see any of the plug wires leaking.....

plus check the points to make sure they have the right gap
    and you might check the dist to make sure you put the wires in the right place.

any of the above could cause a slight miss too..

I never thought that plugs could keep one from starting but I found out they can.. good luck with it..

20. Congrats !!!!!!!!!! Now, how about a nice smokey burn-out?

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i double checked the wire placement. only removed one wire at a time when i replaced the dist cap.so i know they are on the right way.

not sure the ol' binder would do a smoky burnout...

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ain't that a gooooood feeling!!!!!!!! congrats

23. Sorry about this simple one,but.....Did you change your plugs? they may be fouled out.....I've had this problem hit me a few times and it still fools me/ shocks me every time. My father had told me there is something different about todays gas that will foul those plugs like old gas never would, but I forget what that specific detail is...I'd clean them and burn tham dry with a torch but still they'd be fouled. Trust me, I find it hard to belive myself each time it's happened but i've had a motor running fine then not want to run the next time i've had to start it...I dont know how hard your plugs are to change but my inline 6's can be swapped in just a few minutes.
    Also, make sure its not humidity / moisture killing your spark. I recently had a 66 mack firetruck gas motor with duel ignition systems not start for me on a humid day. this truck had never given a problem before but the problem definatly wasn't the fuel, the voltage, juice or spark. I tried everything!!!! the only clue that I had was that the oily mess on the outside of the motor had turned grey from the absorbed moisture. I had saturated the block, plugs, ignition, and wires with w.d.40 but no luck, not a hint that this 707 gas motor would fire at all. I went back the next day with fresh plugs and before changing them I lokked at the motor. the oil was black again. I tried to s!art it before digging into the plugs and vroooomm!!! The motor started quicker and stronger than it ever had. so the problem was that external moisture. While I had strong spark to the plugs, and had supposedly waterproofed them, that humidity somehow kept that good strong spark from passing throughthe center of 12 good sparkplugs......Come to think of it I can recall quite a few stories of old Buicks or chryslers that would never start or run on a rainy day, this might be one of those cases.... Be patient...sometimes these problems enjoy messing with our heads, don't let this one destroy yours.

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

alfred, thanks for the advice, and i think that cold and moisture certainly didnt help. but i did get it running yesterday, as my last couple posts celebrated.

25. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Good for you, Mark...it sounds like you're almost home...finally!!!:cool:

26. Weasel

Weasel

Now where's the YouTube video clip huh??? huh??:D

27. Is it time for the "Happy Dance" yet ?

Attached Files:

28. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

is this how your truck runs?

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

carefully recheck your firing order and assure your wire are correctly positioned on the cap and at the plugs.

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

haha, don, i didnt see actual flames, but the last backfire took me by surprise enough for me to leave the ground. yikes!