Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark Plugs - What do you run/recommend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop&drop, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I've found good plug wires to be more critical than the brand of plugs. Once I got rid of the cheap Taylors I was running, plugs seem to run forever in my blown SBC.

2. bryan6902

bryan6902

Everyone's going to have their own opinion on this one, because most everyone's set-up is just a little different. The key here is to find out what works for you and stick with that. My opinion is to buy QUALITY ignition parts: good cap, good rotor, good coil the spendy wires.... Maybe actually go to the dealer for parts. I worked the parts store for a while and you'd sell cheapo parts and watch 'em come back, sometimes THE SAME DAY, with bigger problems then they came in with. Working in dealership service we also see a lot of tune-ups gone wrong due to poor quality parts. The only platinum plugs, Champions, we use are on vehicles where the plugs are difficult to service, as in they're buried under a manifold or way behind something. If they're easy to get at save your money and don't buy platinums!

3. Larry T

Larry T

Always liked AC, Autolite, & Motorcraft. If AC's are now made by NGK (and I've got no reason to doubt it) I'll probably stick with Autolite.
    I do grind the electrode and side gap the plug on my race car stuff.
    Larry T

4. diggers4life

diggers4life

Seems I'm with the majority. I've had the best luck with Autolite and AC. I've had the worst luck with Accel and Champion.

5. creepr

creepr
    from dallas,ga

Has anyone tried the es plug? If so what kind of results did you get if any?cheers

6. zzford

zzford

I have had good luck with AC's, anyone ever use "Buttplugs"?

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Autolites, always............

8. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Back in the early '70's when i was factory rep for Moto-Ski snomobiles ,,i got boxes n boxes of free NGK spark plugs from the company for my Hearth 800 CC three cylinder 2 stroke race sled,,,,I either sold em or gave em away ,,they were junk then ,,and are junk now ,,i ran Autolites in all my 2 stroke sleds & Kawasaki bikes,,,even in the late '70's early '80's when i was racin' boats & Harleys ,,Autolites all the way ,,i have em in my Motor Home now,,which don't get driven much ,and in my Onan 6,000KW generator ,,which only gets fired up a few times a year ,,,they never fail ,,
    Werd to the wise ,,,totally PASS on Bosch Platnums,,,they are bad right outa da box ,,

9. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Ac Delco in GM products and Autolight or Motorcraft in Ford products. NGK will work, but I use those as last resort.

CN

10. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

With a SBC run the AC Delco plugs.

11. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I dated a girl once who liked to use Buttplugs, called it quits when she wanted me to use them though.....:D

I like Autolites... we used to stock AC's but had some problems with 'em so we switched 'em out.. Autolites are the 'chit... And as far as Champions go that's what my Cutlass is runnin' and I haven't had problems but when they're done she'll get a set of Autolites..

13. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Autolights in the Falcon, AC's in the Pontiac powered altered, NGK in the VW and compression in the Cummins.

Jon

14. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Got a free coupon for a set of E3's.
    Figured what the hell, I'll try em.
    Had to custom order from the local shop cuz they didn't carry the early small block Chevy

This is what showed up. As you can guess, no response from the factory.

Attached Files: