Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods spare tire on the fender, hanging off the back or none at all?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Deuce hearse with a side mount. HRP

[​IMG]

i.rant, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. Boatmark

Boatmark

Never cared for side-mount's, but rear mount depends (to me) on both the style of the build, and the body style of the car. I like it on HRP's resto styled sedan. I don't think I'd like it on most coupes. On a pickup I again think it depends on the style - on a simple truck with the wheel / tire exposed, yes. On a more custom truck with a cover that matches the upholstery, not for me. On later model stuff I have never seen a Continental kit that I liked, even if it was stock. (like say a small bird)

But to each his own. Like Jim Croce said: "If you dig it, do it. If you dig it a lot, do it twice!)

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, '35/'36s look about the best of any of the Fords with a rear mounted spare...especially if going for the Kustom look.
    36 spare.jpg 1936 4.jpg

I'm going that direction with the Cabriolet (avatar) with skirts & spare...but I turned the carrier into an extra locking storage/tool box. Fuck a spare tire tir1.jpg tir2.jpg

35cab, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I remember the neighbor (older kid) had a raked '33 Tudor, right hand sidemount with a 'tire cover', white naugahyde...Car looked a mile long with that fender well spare.
    I loved it.
    When I found my '34 five window, it had a right hand fenderwell spare...I put a used 5.00 X 16 Harley tire on a '40 wheel, but it looked rinky-dink, that skinny tire in that tight well.
    Traded a restorer for a plain fender.... grew out of fenderwell spares.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile

My 33 has a spare off the back. Not sure it would be my choice, but it will stay out of respect and history. And at least it has a Kelsey-Hayes Stripper on the back!

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

What are the wheels? HRP

7. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

I love a matching spare tire. Plan on putting on one my flair side bed in the original spot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Crocodile

Crocodile

They are a Kelsey-Hayes wheel from around 69-70. Aluminum center riveted into a steel hoop. Yenko offered them, and I think they were available through some Ford Dealers too. I would like to find another pair to build a mullins style trailer to match the car

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. They are unique and I would think they are rare. HRP

10. Crocodile

Crocodile

Rare is a strong word, but yes, uncommon and hard to find. And pricey. Sadly, Bob had a trailer that had a pair that was separated from the car before I could buy it. And he had a Chevy pattern set that I missed out on (I would be OK using that on a trailer...).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Crocodile

Crocodile

Just looked and there are pairs from $550 to a grand on the big auction site. A single for $350. All GM pattern. I will probably have slots on the trailer of the future...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Never hurts to post a "WANTED" in the classifieds, who knows you might get lucky. HRP

13. Crocodile

Crocodile

Good idea. I wouldn't need show quality for a trailer, but it would be cool if they matched the car.

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the other alternative in the pick up bed.if you keep removing all the quaint features from yor classy cars you might as well drive a coddington fiberglass smoothie replica.

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Trunks are for spare tires and hiding friends going to a drive-in theater. (Also, for long surfboards) But, for those smooth fender roadsters, coupes and sedans, why ruin the smooth curving design of the fenders? Yes, they were available on some models, but it just takes away the look of the hot rod.
    upload_2020-8-7_4-20-15.png
    The spare on the back also adds only weight and does nothing for the hot rod look. It reminds me of the Model T races and swap meets where almost every old car in attendance had a spare exposed, somewhere. Yikes! I suppose that having a spare hanging off of the back does offer some protection and an effort to be prepared.
    upload_2020-8-7_4-21-31.png

Not that it is an indication of where we used to live, but no one had a spare or exposed tire hanging off of the back, due to theft. Even our old 65 El Camino neatly, had the spare behind the seat. But, if we did not want it there, it would have been flattened, mounted and covered in the truck bed.

Jnaki

In our old 40 Ford Sedan Delivery rear compartment, there was a cool place to put the spare, out of sight and mind. Handy for immediate emergencies, but we did not have AAA at our beck and call as teenagers. All ideas and styles will accommodate different people. When I opened my wife’s new small station wagon, the spare was missing… factory theft at its finest… as @deanlowe said about the auto club… AAA works wonders everywhere, for all makes and models of cars, as well as satisfying the people in an emergency.