Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spare parts stash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Gersic, Apr 12, 2016.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

So I'm fixing a coolent leak, need to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Carb off, alternator off, distributor out, pull the intake and ...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460521366.155468.jpg

... well that's a surprise. It seems to be a spare, just in case, I guess.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like who ever put the engine together last time had the pushrods laying in the valley to reach easily and had an extra one that they forgot.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

never have enough

mad mikey likes this.
  4. LOL I have found the strangest things in an engine. I pulled the pan on a recently overhauled 283 for inspection before using it and found 2 pistons worth of rings and one rod turned around backward.

years ago I was trouble shooting a lower end noise in a Ford small block, it had never been apart and was still under warrantee. I still have the Thorson 1/2x9/16 box end wrench that was rattling around in the pan. I wouldn't have thunk that the factory was using Thorson wrenches.

Ya just never know what is going to be in an engine, new or otherwise.

mad mikey likes this.

5. I work on big diesel engines, heavy and medium duty. Have fond all sorts of stuff in oil pans over the years. Wrenches, sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, zip ties, various small parts, sensor plugs, a pen, the list goes on......:eek::D:D:D