Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good idea. I have been too busy to worry about it.
    Funny thing happened today. I ordered a trailer tire for my car trailer from Walmart and so I stopped by the store this morning to see if they could mount the tire this morning before work.
    They had to hunt around the store ,but they found it and got it mounted and I got home and there was an email and a notification on my phone that they were sorry but my tire was going to be delayed in shipping. I thought about canceling the order and seeing if I could get a refund. It seems that one hand doesn't what the other one is doing.
    I went to the doctor this morning for a shoulder issue that's been bothering me for about a year now.
    The doctor said I will be needing a shoulder replacement and he showed me where it is bone on bone. I had rotator cuff surgery about 20 years ago and I knew this day was coming eventually.
    He also recommended an automatic in the car as it could dislocate after the replacement.

Thor1, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've had so many rotator cuff surgeries that I told the doctor to put a zipper in the next time!

Dog_Patch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:............."Mom....he said the A word!"
    6sally6

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

The Gassers and A/FX cars can right hand or left hand steer. So I could learn to shift with my left arm.
    It would be weird, but it can be done. Ask all of the right hand steer guys from the U.K. and down under guys.

Thor1, loudbang, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  5. ..........That's pretty much standard procedure at Wal-Mart. Try getting any kind of results at one of their customer service desks. They're obviously trained to talk in circles. They want to compete with Amazon for online sales, but they simply aren't equipped for it. Best of good luck with the shoulder surgery.......Don.

loudbang, catdad49 and 48fordnut like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just before I got drafted I had an OT MGTD that was RHD. Got the hang of shifting left handed in no time at all.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I spent a total of 10 yrs in England while in the USAF and never had a problem shifting. It was getting use to the pedals being reversed that gets you...just kidding, the pedals don't change. Even being right handed doesn't pose any problems. I raced a right hand drive Mini on Road Course Tracks and never had a problem. The one time I went to Santa Pod, I even speed shifted my buddy's Mini. A right hand drive car on the Strip here would be a novelty. Good luck with your shoulder, my left one is bothering me right now. The right cuff was done in 2002. Ron.

Thor1, -Brent- and loudbang like this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Gonna be at Shady Side this Saturday........I'll be glad to 'run-it-through-the-traps' fer ye!!
    Well........my shoulders are good but my left knee sucks sooooooo.......
    See ya there!!!!
    6sally6

Thor1, Dog_Patch and catdad49 like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

We are loaded and getting ready to pull out about 8:30 am this morning.
    See y'all at Shadyside. Hope to give you something to cheer about. Just stop by and say hello anyway.

Thor1, loudbang, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  10. glrbird

glrbird

Good luck!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riding along from the west coast. Hope it all works.:cool:

Thor1, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well we did not break the car.
    We didn't qualify well but made some shock settings and the picked a lot. It was too late and we had to run the # 1 qualifier in the first round and he ended up winning the whole thing.
    I have some adjustments to make before the Florida race.
    At least we drove it on the trailer.
    Will post a video when my son sends it to me.

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, brEad, Dog_Patch and 15 others like this.
  13. Great job Mike! We are all super proud of you. I like to tell my Buddies at work that I have a friend who races SEGA. I sure hope I get to come and see you race next year.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Super.
    Driving on the trailer is always a Big Plus.

Congratulations.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I raced dirt track we have loaded the car with 2 wreckers.
    Once with a front end loader.
    So other than having to stop in ashville and buy a trailer tire. It was a fun weekend.
    It was really good our son and his fiance drove over from rock hill to spend the day.
    For those of you that couldn't be there. Shadyside dragway set am all time attendance record.
    We drew a bigger crowd than when the street outlaws came there. Quain is doing something right and the stands were still full for the finals.
    Great weekend
    Now time to get ready for the last race of the season in Holt fl. In 2 weeks.
    Going to put my 6.00 gear in it.
    Maybe build some slapper bars and relocate my tachometer. It is hard to stage the car with it down in the dash

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, bchctybob, Dog_Patch and 7 others like this.
  16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Keep after it. You are a winner no matter what.

Thor1, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  17. glrbird

glrbird

Any time you drive them on the trailer, it’s a good day. You’ll get there. Your older now and can analyze things better. Slapper bars can work good, I was taught to have a 1/2 in gap between the snubber and it’s contact point when the car is at rest on level ground.

18. catdad49

catdad49

Mike, looked like you were getting a handle on it. My sin,Taylor and I made it just in time for qualifiying and never walked the pits (didn’t want to lose our spot on the Big end)! Told Taylor, "that's one of my fellow HAMBers and I watched him build it”. Best of Luck in Holt, super stock is a tough class!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I had a vibration in the driveline that would not let me really get after it in 3 rd and 4th gear.
    Took my driveshaft over to Hudlow's and they put it on their machine and showed me the bend in the driveshaft. You couldn't see it by looking at it. Must have bent it when it spit it out at the race in Aiken.
    They stopped what they were doing and put a new tube in it and a new rear ujoint saddle and u joint and had it done by this afternoon.
    I took the chunk out today and am going to setup a 6.00 gear for it tomorrow. Also when I was under the car I noticed that it had ripped the driver side rear spring shackle hanger out of the frame.
    So some more fab work to brace that up .
    It looks like I will be swapping out my 31 spline axles and spool for some 35 spline's over the winter.
    My axles have a slight twist to the splines. Not bad enough that it won't make one more race, but that will be a definite winter upgrade.
    This must be one bad little Windsor. I am planning 6,000 rpm launches in Florida so look out driveline you going to get abused.

Thor1, bchctybob, scotty t and 11 others like this.
  20. glrbird

glrbird

I always liked finding problems at home. Saw pictures of it, nose up, looked good.

Thor1, Deuces, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  21. glrbird

glrbird

Saw a YouTube of the race, you car looked good. Plants the tire hard.

Thor1, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  22. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Link?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Southeast gassers .com go to Quain Stotts facebook page and see the video of the race. I was the first pair down the track right after the national anthem.
    Good launch, but not much after second gear because of the bent driveshaft causing a vibration and I had to get out of it.

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

Sorry I missed you Mike......we wuz there!
    I saw you launch and I think you need more gear too! That track prep makes it grip-like-glue don't it!?!!
    I told my buddy......."That's the guy on the HAMB I was tell'in ya about. "(AND all the help you offered last winter with my SBF surging issues)
    I certainly ain't in your league as far as race cars go but....... from a spectator's point-of-view... it looks like stiffer gears and get just a little wheel spin off the line would help a bunch. Sorta give it a second for the fuel mixture in the carb to start flowing and the R's to come up. Once tached up and you nailing second gear..your momentum will help move you on down the strip.
    How heavy is your flywheel? (That might be a good tuning point to consider). Although you have taken a lotta weight outta the old wagon (and moved some weight around too) its still pretty heavy to get going with a small block AND a track that is pretty sticky.
    It surprises me more of those cars don't break stuff when leaving the line. wheeewww-weeee!:eek:

Thor1 likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am taking care of the gear issue today. I will have my 6.00 gear set in the Comet by the weekend. My flywheel is 32 lbs. I have a 2.75 1st gear in the transmission so it should launch like I want it to.
    I have a 103 lb. counter weight in the driver side rear just in front of the tailgate that I am going to move to the pass. side and move the 55 lb. that is on the pass. side over to the driver side.
    Going to drop the air pressure down to 15 lbs. to soften up the rear. I adjusted the shocks to the lightest setting and picked up .7 off my 60foot. Now that I will have the confidence to know that all of the parts will be in the car at the finish line I am going bring my launch rpm up to 6500. That should make it eat. The car was 2 lbs. heavy when I crossed the scales so I put a 10 lb . weight in it.
    Had to stop today and build a set of heavy duty ramps. Going to N.C. Thursday morning to pick up a 53 Buick for a fellow Hamber. My old ramps wouldn't hold that tank.

Thor1, bchctybob, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my gear setup this morning . Had to work at the golf course this afternoon so it will have to wait until Friday before I can stab it back in there.
    Tomorrow is a travel day to help a fellow hamber get a car home from N.C. back to Knoxville.

27. glrbird

glrbird

Road trips can be fun.

loudbang likes this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes road trips are fun and meeting new people and seeing new places is great.
    Couldn't talk carolina chevrolet out of his Falcon, but he does have a nice place back in the mountains.

Thor1, 48fordnut, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Well at least you got one photo from Bangshift run at Shadyside. :)

1.jpg

30. SR100

SR100

If you edit the title for one to something like 'SEGA 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon' you'll be able to tell them apart. If you hold your cursor over 'Thread Tools' on the right above the first post on the page, you'll see 'Edit Title'. It's pretty self-explanatory from there.

Thor1, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.