Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sort of O/T--The Benefits of Using Paypal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Villlage Idiot, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Wow, I had no idea people were having so many problems with Paypal. I've been using them for years, but never for anything over $500. Both as a seller and a buyer. I usually keep about $100 in the account for spontaneus or small ebay purchases. I buy and sell alot of bicycle parts and small parts for my Cadillac. Also helps me sell parts to anyone in the world...and I've shipped stuff all over. Has worked great for me all these years, never been 'hosed', never had a problem and I've received and given refunds to unhappy parties...guess I'm too honest.

2. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Out of about 400 PayPal transactins, I've been screwed 3 times. That's less than 1% of my transactions. That's probably about the same rate, or better, as if I only accepted money orders or cash. Now, when you do get hosed, it's extremely frustrating. From my experience, if a buyer files a claim against you (legitimate or not) they will win EVERY time. I had one a few months ago where the buyer purchased a $50 item from me, left positive feedback on that auction site, and even emailed me saying how happy whey were with the purchase. Then, out of hte blue, they file a dispute saying they never received the item. I emailed the tracking confirmation, thefeeedback and the email to PayPal proving that it was delivered and they were happy with the item. A month later, I get an email from PayPal ruling in the buyer's favordespite my proof and I needed to "restore my account" to correct the negative balance that they deducted.

I swore I would never use them again...until I needed a part and PayPal was the only accepted payment method! I've used it probably 75 more times sincethen and not had any issues.

There are some alternativesout there, but they are so small that most people won't use them. PayPal is a massive monopoly, but they provide a service that few others do, so you have to take the good with the bad and understand that you might get hosed at some point. Since the last screwin' I try to limit the purchase amounts I use with them, but that's about it.

3. jmn444

jmn444

I've used it twice to get money back on a bad seller, and knock on wood never had a "problem" with it. Fees suck, but it's a convenience thing... from a buyers perspective, it wasn't that simple to get my money back on the bad items I got, so i'm not so concerned as a seller about it. Not a lot of big $ transactions for me though...

4. rixrex

rixrex

I have yet to venture out on Ebay/paypal, I need to as I have barns/tons of stuff to sell..after reading these experiences it seems like it can get difficult. I don't want to get into time consuming stuff..money orders are great but it takes very thorough discussion and photographs to get a buyer to commit to sending you a money order for something they can't put their hands on..goes with the territory guess, just be honest it will get you far....

5. Here's a little secret for all you PayPal haters. The US Postal service does money order up to $750 I think. And all for a flat fee of like $3.50. That's it. Pay with cash or a debit card (they don't accept credit cards) and you fill out the payee. Then mail the check. I use this all the time, it's cheap and more reliable than bank money orders (which are easier to forge). The payee just waits for the check to get there. Once it does, it's as good as cash. If this secret gets out though, it might put PayPal out of business, so be careful! :D

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'll simply reiterate the idea that you should never buy anything through Paypal for large amounts unless you do it through your credit card. Especially for items outside of eBay.

Your credit card is going to protect you 100% better than Paypal.

7. KustomKloset

KustomKloset

I have been using PayPal for years as a buyer and seller with more good than bad deals.

As a seller the bottom line is sales. If I did not take PP I would sell at least half as much and the stuff I did sell would sell for half as much or less. How do I know ... because I buy stuff on eBay from people that don't take PP and then re-sell it. Sure the fees suck but go get a swap space or a store and see how much it costs and how much you sell. I promise you, you won't make as much or as easy. If you are a small seller like me that sells vintage goods the net is the only good market I have found.

As a buyer PP is the only way I am protected. MOs, checks, or cash has no real protection. You can threaten or leave negative feedback but you are not going to get any money back.

Sure I have been screwed a couple of times using PP both as a buyer and as a seller. BUT it was because I did not know the PP guidlines and someone did. The scammers will always know the guidelines(loopholes).

For example ... A buyer doesn't pay until 2 weeks after the sale , you send the item with a tracking number and it is delivered. Your all good right? NOPE if the buyer makes a claim you will loose because payment must be made within 2 weeks of the sale.

As a buyer you have a time limit in wich to make a claim. This doesn't mean you have to file for a refund but at least open the claim. So if a seller is stringin' you along you can open a claim, wait for an agreed upon time and then either drop the claim if the item show or file for a refund if it doesn't. You are covered if you at least open the claim in time.

Just remember PP is a business with thousands of transactions a day and they will always side with the person in the guidelines right or wrong. That is why they are there (guidelines) they are set up so somone is always within them. So a minumum wage customer service rep can make a ruling without having to think. That's just the way it is.

I love doin' what I do and getting Hot Rod and Custom memorabila in to the hands of collectors and not the trash heap. I "meet" alot good people with cool collections and nice cars. There will always be ***holes and scammers. Just read your guidelines and research your seller/buyer if you can.

Hope this helps somebody KK

8. didgeytrucker

didgeytrucker

1) PayPal did not "phish" your info. A Phisher (not related at all to PayPal, or eBay) did that. You probably received an email claiming something was up with you PayPal account and you clicked on a link in the email. That's how Phishers get your info.

Read the PayPal (or any online company) policy regarding the information they will request in an email. NEVER click on a link in an email.

2) The last time I looked into this there were two types of PayPal accounts. One that will not accept credit card payments and one that will accept credit card payments. If you accept credit card payments you pay a fee to receive money. If you don't accept credit cards you don't pay a fee.

3) I have bought many items from all over the world and paid with PayPal. I've never had a problem. Some of the items would have been out of my reach otherwise. Twice I have had an eBay seller claim they never received my payment. One was paid with PayPal and one was with a U.S Postal Money Order. The situation was cleared up in two days with only a few emails with the PayPal transaction. With the Postal Money Order I had to wait 30 days to see if the Money Order was ever cashed. It was, by the seller, and deposited into his bank three days after I sent it. He forgot. But clearing up that mess took a month.

Tracy

9. beauishere

beauishere

I've practically built my latest project via ebay and Paypal. I've been lucky I guess. Never a problem. It helps to watch the seller's past feedback and amount of sales. I stay away from short timers. Good luck.

10. So, what do you do when you ship it via an alternate method (My truck is heading that way) and the buyer files a claim that they never recieved it?
    The one I liked was when the guy bought an application specific shifter, that I removed from an identical vehicle, and then claimed "Item not as described".
    I still buy with it, but I only take paypal from guys I know on here and other forums.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

We have been using paypal for about 4 years now to accept funds for the insulation we sell. Sure we have to pay a percentage of every sale but if we were set up to accept mastercard or visa we would have to pay. We keep a few thousand in Paypal and use it as our bank account and it draws 5 per cent enterest. Get that at a local bank. I dont believe operating on credit. We are drawing interest on our money and not paying somebody else for the same service. Paypal works for us. Several thousand transactions and no problems. One thing I really like is if some pays through paypal with their bank account, it has to clear paypal before paypal puts in out account. And paypal e-mails us when it happens, or doesnt happen.

12. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Used it once for a customer before I got an account to accept MC and VISA- and got RAPEd on charges.
    If you want to be able to accept CC- get a CC account. Paypal seems to only be good for the nickel and diming stuff...

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Had pay pal..never again..Cash, and money orders only..Pay - Pal is not your Pal if you are a seller..it is a convenience for the Buyer only..for them to use their credit card to impulse buy! The seller has to figure in the Fee to their selling price... or get bit! and to top it off they (pay-pal) have your bank information that can get hi jacked on line....kinda scary today with all the bank scams and bogus e-mail that looks like its coming from e-bay or Pay-Pal..trust me on this one..This is America..lets start doing buisness like its America..Pay cash..or send secured funds from your bank or Money order ..screw the Pay-pal's their just makin money off you..money you should be putting in your pocket..and on top of it all for the BUYERS conveinece..you are putting your funds at risk..dont do it and they should be boycotted by all us hot-rodders..do gooders..tailgators..rat-roders..rust buckets and Americans.. Screw the Man!!

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sorry, I have to chuckle at a "seller" complaining that something is convienent for buyers.

What's next? Complaining that a buyer actually wants to see the item before buying it?

I have another revelation for you. Your bank account info is already cruising around on the internet.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Well than lets just speed up the process and print it on a fuckin bill board!!

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Credit car accounts are much better and way more secure and they the credit card compaies are way more easy to work with and will work with you in your favor of disputes..because you are their customer and you have an account with them..

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

We use paypal in our business. We have made thousands of transactions through paypal and never had a problem we couldn't get resolved. The wife (Kelly) is relentless when it comes to getting problems resolved and she apparently knows their system. Shes been checking into getting set up with another company to take credit cards and so far no we cant save any money with anyone else. There are somethings we dont like about paypal, like the way they try to get anyone who pays us with a credit card to set up an account with them before paying. All you have to do is skip that part and pay anyway. We also like the way we can send an invoice to anyone with an e-mail address. Comes in handy when we need to charge a different freight rate than what is listed on the website or when giving the 10% discount we offer to Hambers.

18. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I don't care for it. I set up an account out of necessity, because I won a dispute and the only way I could get my money back was to open an account, according to ebay. I have emailed them several times and never got any response on how much money is in there or how to spent it. The whole thing is questionable and makes doing business uncomfortable. I deal only in MO's, you tell me how much to send, I mail the MO, you deposit the MO and ship the merchandise. Can't get any easier/cheaper than that. It obviously works for some people but I still don't know how much is in my account or how to access it. Me no likey!;)

19. I hate getting nicked when I sell something but I have been protected by PayPal in a scam before too. Basically, you are paying them to accept credit card transactions for you. If you have the money send to your band account, it takes 3-4 bus. days, but if you get a paypal debit card, you can withdraw the money immediately.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

Without question a credit card is more secure. Not all buyers have one and it in no way makes sense for the small time seller to set up a credit card account to accept money.

Alot of things with Paypal are things I wish was changed but there are gives and takes with all venues. I would never pay for anything large through Paypal without going through my credit card to do it so as a seller you are at risk either way.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I guess so///Its not for me..because I dont like the risks..besides its probably a forien company..and i give enough of my money to them..trying to keep it in america

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's owned by eBay.

23. wanna-b

wanna-b

I've been a verified seller for quite a few years and haven't had any problems so far. The only grumble I've had with paypal was when I was between jobs and tried to use by paypal debit card to pay for gas at the pump. If you want to use it at the pump, you need at least $30 on there. Now I know and keep at least that much on there for emergency use.

I have it linked to a checking account and only use it to buy stuff when I know I have cash in the account. Otherwise I offer to pay with a money order. Paypal is evil, just as evil as credit cards. ;)

24. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I like to use paypal because its quick and the stuff I buy is usually under 50 bucks or so, I use it off my credit card and don't mind adding the fee on HAMB purchases to my purchase price

a money order last time I got one was about $9.00 5 or 6 years ago who knows what they cost now

25. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I dont really like paypal either but i use it. Your post really doesnt make any sense or your not very smart:D
    If you set up a payapl account you had ot enter your emaill address and a password. The only way you cant access the info your looking for is if you didnt write your shit down so you can log in. Its really a no fucking brainer... Buy something using paypal the pages usually log you into your account and you just follow the screens and the info. It only takes a few seconds to access your account and check your transactions and any balance you have.... So easy a fucking cave man could do it
    Dave

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well, I guess I called this one.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188731

27. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

In my world Paypal rules..:) I've had a merchant account since they came into existence. The fees for accepting a payment aren't THAT high. I can accept credit cards payments even from friends. That PP logo definitely helps draw bidders to my eBay auctions and I haven't been burnt by a customer..yet. I like it as a buyer for the same reasons, plus do have a bit of protection from scammers.

A friend of mine sells used circle track cars and parts on the VERY cheap to fund his own dirt track jones. His stuff moves fast! If I'm short on cash when he has a deal for me, I can still get it. The only one who doesn't like PP is my credit card statement...:D

Yeah, I know that I sound like a poster girl for PP, but it truly does work for me.

Jan

28. BigJim394

BigJim394

You can get Money Orders for a dollar or less (service charge) at most Major Chain Convenience Stores. I think Walmart charges 79 cents. Banks rape you when you get a money order from them.

29. BigJim394

BigJim394

Paypal is great for buyers, until something goes horribly wrong and Paypal decides not to help you.
    Bank employees are bonded, so if they raid your bank account or run some scam to let someone else get to your funds, the bank can get the bonding company to reimburse you.
    Paypal hires their employees right off the street and they are not bonded. I have a friend who works at a high tech firm in CA. A year ago his firm hired a guy who had been an administrator at Paypal. My friend was told about the dozens of times over a few years, that Police (state and local) along with FBI and US Dept of Revenue agent came in to arrest Paypal employees who were either stealing user info and raiding their accounts, or supplying that info to scammers outside the US (usually in Asia or Eastern Europe.)
    If your account somehow gets "hijacked" Paypal will invariably blame you for falling for a Phishing email scheme, where it well could have been one of their crooked employees.

Interesting Paypal News article:
    http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060827/NEWS/608270343