Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sorry, I ain't leavin' just yet...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Aug 9, 2010.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thanks to you all that contacted me with your concern and prayers, but I'll be around for a little while longer.

For those that didn't know, I made an unscheduled trip to the ER the other day with symptoms of a mild stroke, and after thousands of $$$ worth of tests, (no one bothered to check my blood sugar level...only $110.00) I have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes...yay...

It sucks, but now I have a good excuse to lose weight...
    and by cutting out the beer, ice cream, cookies, Skittles, etc., I'll have more $$$ to buy car parts. :rolleyes:

Dear God...not the beer...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I'm glad it's not worse news. Take care of yourself!

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's always nice to hear that your worst fears are not true. What a relief, I went through something similar a couple months ago. Good luck on the diet!

4. Hey buddy, glad to hear that's all it is, not that Diabetes is something to take lightly, but at least it can be controlled.
    And like you say - more $$ for cool parts - yahoo

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My Advise to good health ,Build more cars ,And skip breakfast ...............I do it all the time .....But I need my lunch .Managed to stay around 160 my whole life .Good luck to you .Time for slenda

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your problem but glad to hear it's not as bad as it could have been.

Take care and do what the doctor says. My grandmother lived into her mid 90 and had to have a shot of insulin every day.

If you get real skinny maybe we can have weight loss contest and donate to the HAMB.:D

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Larry man I am sorry to hear that but glad it wasn't a stroke. Definitely a nudge to get you back to your fighting weight and start eating right. I should use your experience as a nudge for myself before I have a scare.

I'm glad you're ok buddy.

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Good to know you're going to be alright!

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This is the first I heard but I'm glad to know you'll still be here buddy! :D I'll pour you a few drops of Shiner in a sippy cup next time, that can't hurt :D

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Glad to hear you're ok. I'm gonna go home and drink a beer or six to Larry's health!!

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Damn Larry that sucks. Glad you're ok though!

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I did the same thing about 5 years ago, it took three years to get it under control and predictable from day to day. You will change your eating habits, and I manage to take pills by the handfull now ,but I'm alive and doing almost anything I could ever do.

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

NOT THE SKITTLES!!!!!!!! Glad youre ok Larry. Been having some health issues myself, Doc says Im gonna be around awhile too.

14. eddie1

eddie1

Glad to hear the news is not as bad as it could have been!

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Good to hear it wasn't a stroke...sometimes I wonder about doctors these days...they sure like to do tons of tests...and they all cost megabucks...

Diabetes, huh...??? At least that can be controlled...

So glad you're going to stick around a while...

Skittles ain't good for you anyway...try tootsie rolls...unh, never mind...no candy...!!!
    e
    R-

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Glad to hear you're ok, Larry!
    See you at the Drags?

Malcolm

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, sorry to hear than, man. At least diabetes can be dealt with. I guess that should be a warning for the rest of us, too, huh Larry?

I gotta stop the "bad" food, too. I'm still a young 'un but I see the signs all over.

Great, now that you'll have extra disposable income, 32 parts are going to skyrocket! :D

18. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

My wife is type 2 as well. My advise is to read and learn everything that you can about how your diet affects your blood sugar. Your eating habits will have to change. Instead of 2 meals a day, my wife eats about 4 times a day. Smaller portions and things that are better for her. As time goes on, she needs less cc's of insulin every day to keep her blood sugar where it needs to be. Hopefully the trend continues.

19. tinmann

tinmann

Glad to hear you're getting medical concerns under control, Larry. We need you here, so take care of your health.

No beer???? egads, that's pretty severe!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

20. If you cut those out... why would you want to live longer?

Hahaha.. Glad to see they found the culprit!

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I got a buddy who got diabetes. he finally went to the Doctor after his vision started failing. he started eating right and got on his mountain bike and lost a shitload of weight to the point where he no longer needed to take his medicine.

we Americans have the worst eating habits. my Doc said I'm on my way to diabetes in the next 10 years if I don't change my ways.

22. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Glad to hear you are going to be O.K. It is really important to take careof yourself from this point on. I have had diabetes for 33 years and I am fortunate to be in good health. My friend is not so lucky, July 4th he suffered a severe stroke diabetes related and now lays in rehab with a long road ahead of him. He is only 48 years old. A little cheating here and there adds up. The sugar eats at you slowly and when you don't take care of it thats when complications set in. Eat right, exercise, and take your medicine. Good luck to you and enjoy your new found good health.:)

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

glad to hear you'll be doing better Larry.... will we see you at the drags???

24. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Glad to hear it is something treatable and is something that will not impede on what you love to do. May we all be so lucky as we go through life. Be careful in this heat, it can magnify any issues somebody might be having. Good luck.

Kirk

25. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, glad they found the source of your problem, and that its no worse than that.

I've had type II for about 10 years now, and have it well under control with pills. Weight loss helps; I've lost about 95 # in the last 2.5 years. Go see an endocrinologist to get stabilized, my regular M.D. is an internist; he checks my internal chemistry 3-4 times a year.

Learn all you can about nutrition, esp. about complex carbs, glycemic index levels, and read product labels.

Best of luck with this, and PM me if I can tell you anything else.

Kinky6 :cool:

26. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

cutting out the beer...more for ME. Be well man. Slim

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Geez Louise, Larry...
    Well, the best news is that it wasn't a stroke...
    So...by this time next year, you will be in the best health you've had in many years.
    Better food, some extra exercise and a new outlook on everything....
    You'll feel better, sleep better and now you'll feel more energetic.
    It's a big win.....all that crap that you'll have to give up will be forgotten when you are feeling 20 years younger.

Shit, you can't croak, I haven't got to meet you yet!!!!!

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm worried for the employees at Corona...and the lime growers...and the people at Morton Salt Co.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Glad they got it figured out and everything should be ok. Made a couple trips to ER
    last yr. Ain't no fun:)

30. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I suppose that I need to get up early and sell some stock before the big slide.

I'm glad that they were able to finally get a proper diagnosis, and things are going to be OK.