Register now to get rid of these ads!

Son can't get a handle on TIG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Misfit, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for all the great tips, I've passed them on to him. I'm sure he'll get the hang off it, just takes patience and time.

2. Learn gas welding first.
    Play with the rod while watching tv is an excellent way to develop the muscle memory.
    Clean high quality lens.
    Soft high quality gloves.

Every brain is different, so he may end up using left hand and left foot

Just run beads at first.
    Set the machine at the amperage he wants and think of the pedal as an on and off switch. Fully depress pedal and run the beads. If its too hot, turn the machine down some, if its too cold turn it up some, but the idea is to run the bead by including your foot not depending on it. After that is mastered - 10-20 hrs id guess, it would take to teach the brain and one hand to work together, add the other hand and foot in.

3. The community collage here has a welding course.
    I signed up for TIG. went to class and they handed me a oxy/acet torch I said I know how to do that he gave me a test I passed and he had me help the other students then we all went to the tig welding. The instructor had a sign over his office that read "There are three things that make a good welder, practice,practice,practice"

4. shane85

shane85

pratice and more pratice is the key. and never give up.

5. i didnt take time to read all the comments so im sure there are good ones out there. i went to welding school and for 8 hours a day. when it came time for tig. we got a lot of it. it just takes time and practice. you said he passed stick, flux, and MIG. there is no OXY in there. its a shame. we did oxy and i was greatful for it. im trying to do teaching here in the metro. and one of the places i was looking at was starting a welding program. but they werent gona do oxy. first time i had heard of such nonsense. but from what i read now it is a common occurance.

6. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

We ALL struggled with tig before we got good at it. And being good at other methods can make you more impatient when it's not happening.
    Very good advise from 117harv earlier. Put the rod down, and concentrate on fusing a but joint or a lap. 16 ga. steel, start with a setting of around 120, hold the gap, push the pedal til you get an arc, increase pedal slowly til you get a puddle, start moving. If you get ahead of puddle, slow down and/or increase pedal.
    The important point is starting without the rod. 1 less thing to do AND you will see what you are doing much more clearly. Do that over and over and then try adding the filler rod.
    Happy welding,
    Steve

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i used a thumb wheel on a tig gun.... made it alot easier ..... they make them for alot of machines....i had to weld stainless inside a very tight area and couldnt use the pedal...

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I never did tig,If he can stick weld Especially if he can use two rods ,He will get the tig,Practice I think is the key and using both hands,,,,,

9. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

So true. Learning to gas weld first is how I was taught and made TIG much easier to get the hang of.

10. davo461

davo461

I didn't get the hang of until I had my eyes tested and got new glasses. Being able to see properly made all the difference. I didn't realize my eyes were a bit 'off'.
    Took a lot practice, though.
    Good luck.
    Davo.