Register now to get rid of these ads!

Something different for a engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kelgar50, Nov 12, 2006.

1. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Just wanted to get an oppinon or some thoughts on a different engine for a poss. Track T project.
    Like I said it's different.What we got here is a 30'-40's Allis-Chammler flathead 4.It is a gas engine and is water cooled and very complete from the carb down to the pan even the Aliss-Chamlers fuel filter is still on the damn thing and looks like new.
    This thing also has a bitchin looking grill kinda resembles a old Paige.
    So after seeing this I intantlly thought Track T.
    I do realize that alot of parts would have to be made for speed parts but I belive that it might be cool.
    So any comments,sug,or ideas would be great.
    Sorry I don't have any pic's to post as im on the road right now but when I get back I will post some.

2. Squablow

Squablow

The motor is interesting, but how are you going to hook a tranny up to it? Allis used a ton of flatheads over the years, I had an Allis Chalmers forklift from the 70's that had a flathead 4 in it, it was a Continental engine. Probably won't put out shit for RPM's either, so you'll need an overdrive stick tranny and some good rearend gears to make it go.

Would probably be challenging but the end result would get attention.

3. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

I thinking I would get a hold of Sharp Mfg. as they are only a couple of hours from me and he is good at tranny adaptors.Last time I was there he was making an adapter to put a (not kidding about this ) a Eton Fuller semi 13 spd behind a big block chevy.I asked him why and he said thats what the cust. wanted.

And there was a guy that used a A/C flat 4 in a midget back in the 30's or 40's found a picture of it but can't find any info.
    So to get the rpms out of it I was thinking about a regrind on the cam,find some different valve spring that could take it,oversize valves,and maybe bore it out if poss..
    Then of course would have to bumpup the compresion,make a new intake and split headers.
    I believe that it is do able and will take some time.But hell the thing is free so why the hell not.May not be the fastest thing around but for scootin round town might be fun.

4. Be a lot of work, but Kool and different. Ain't that a big part of hotrodding?