Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some really great tin going to auction in Mitchell, Indiana

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ironhunter

ironhunter

Found a post on the Fordbarn linking to this site. Damn, I'd love to go! These aution companies don't know what the hell they are doing, and I think do the seller an injustice by advertising without knowing what they are even talking about (never saw a 1938 Model A), but maybe there will be some good deals. This is just a few pics from the site, they claim there are at least 30 Model A, T, and B's, not to mention the piles of sheetmetal from the 20's and 30's. Good luck guys...i wish I could go but I'm gonna be tied up that weekend!
    http://www.brewerauctionservice.com/11-17-07-Mitchell/11-17-07-Mitchell.asp

Attached Files:

2. ironhunter

ironhunter

more pics. Damn I'd love to see some HAMBers get hold of some of this great tin...AND POST PICS!!!!

Attached Files:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Now that's a chop!

Attached Files:

4. ironhunter

ironhunter

yah...no shit! I had to snag that pic just to see the reaction! That aside, it looks like stepping back 40 years in the junkyards when I was a kid. Man, I wish I was able to go...

5. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

The one 32 in the front looks to be a Victoria. The picture under the chopped one reminds me of a A 400 cowl. There are some fantastic cars in there. Don't just look at the car pics read the list also.
    WOW!

6. kb cookout

kb cookout

I live 12 mile from it and they haven't even scratched the surface of what there, Georgie used to deliver buses for Carpenter bus company (the bus plant was just up the street) and would buy a car and drive home.. there is? was? a 40's willy pickup and some austin bantams don't know if they have uncovered them yet :eek:

later kb

7. the shark

the shark

im mildly familiar with Mitchel IN... i recall a big lot of old cars and some slightly newer ones. I think it was on the corner of 60 just down the street from a Dairy Queen. Is that the lot that this bunch is coming from? The last time i was there, the owner had a sign out front that read "Not a junk yard, Nothing for sale"

Mitchell is FULL of old cars.. most of which the owners would rather let rot into the ground than give them up to someone willing to hand over a fair amount of cash.

8. the shark

the shark

ok i just checked the link and YES it is the lot that i was talking about! I used to wonder what was back in the woods beyond what i could see form the road and it far surpasses my expectations.

i dont have any money to buy anything but i may still go just to see all the cars getting pulled from the woods.

9. Could someone educate me here? Lets say you win your auction, do you just have freedom to head back there and pick up your prise? can you drag your truck/trailer out into the field, load up and your golden?
    I've been to auctions before that were in doors, you grabbed your goodies and left, but never to something you might need a chainsaw.

10. morgan19d

morgan19d

yeah, i dont know if i can find a trailer but i am going to go just to see the cars and maybe if i find something i cant live without, i can find a way to drag it home, lol

11. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

Anyone want to split the fuel costs to go see this? I'm in Southern IL and have a truck and trailer... Nothing new but it would make the trip.

Probably could get 2 partially assembled cars on my trailer if i really wanted to.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Man,
    I am glad this isn't near.
    My wife would kill me if I drug all this home.
    About about this one..
    Its a panel truck I believe.

[​IMG]

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everyone under the age of lets say 40 should view those photos, that is what yards looked like in the early 1960's. Somebody please save that 1932 Ford Vicky!:eek:

14. old beet

old beet

Is that a MUNTZ with the 55 Chev grill in front? WOW!!..........OLDBEET

15. kb cookout

kb cookout

If anyone needs some local info pm me ;) There is a small motel in Mitchell about 2 mile from the auction and there is bigger motels in Beford and Paoli.. We stop by the UHaul rental (2 mile south on RT 37 )they have 3 car trailers on hand and you can call and reserve one.

later kb

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some local guy with a backhoe and logging chains could make some good money that weekend just pulling that stuff over to the trailers.

17. kb cookout

kb cookout

They havn't even start moving things around . it will be a circus trying to find a place to park much less load trailer

later kb

18. kb, how close is this to paoli?

19. Bring your poison ivy cream--there appears to be a ton of it in that mess---man I can't wait to start itchin.

20. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anybody else having problems looking at the auctioneer's pics?

21. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was thinking of going but I doubt I can get off of work. From the amount of people that know about it, I doubt there are going to be any bargains there.

22. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

23. matt b

matt b
    from Indiana

Hi Guys, I just signed up here to post some info about the Mitchell auction this Saturday. I have been thru this place about 6 times now and am pretty aware of what is there. Unfortunately they listed cars based on someone else's knowledge about 5-6 weeks ago. Most of what is listed now is pretty accurate but still some stuff might be off by a couple years. An early Ford might be a 49, 50 or 51, Some stuff I am not up on as much as I am the real early stuff. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Condition..most of this stuff is really rough, really rough. Dragging a lot of it out will break it in half. Everything is bought where it sets and buyer must do all removal. There are piles of stuff 10-12 foot high for 30 foot in front of a lot of it, trees, piles of junk. Lots of stuff may have other cars in front and not be accessable till those cars are moved. The trails thru this woods are passable by jeep, tractor or an old pick up, but a rollback won't make it. Ideally a wrecker and tractor are needed to get stuff out. A bulldozer wouldn't be a bad idea. Thee is supposed to be somebody there with a loader, but I don't have any details. This is just so nobody will find they are un-prepared for removing a car. It will be a chore and require some kind of power equipment. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The good part...there are about 5-6 model "A"'s that were covered with barn tin and they are very restorable. There is a very nice Bantam Roadster that appears to have no rust thru. Lots of useable fenders and body panels that a bady man can use. There is only one 31 Chev roadster, and it is a cowl section loose, rear body portion fallen over the frame, useable door skins, and 2 sedan parts cars that come with it. There is no 30 "A" roadster together, but there are some rusted down parts. All the cars that were uncovered have no floors and in most cases no subfloors, they are in dirt.<o:p></o:p>
    The Muntz was customized by somebody and has a completely re-worked front end and rear end. nothing is left from stock. It has no floor, and is rusted thru all over. Still it is a rare piece and does have the drive train and Carson top frame. There are 3 32 Ford bodies on frames. The Vicy, a tudor and a 4 door. Bodies are gone, but the frames are good on all three 32's. There is a 34 sedan on a frame the has possibilities, at least the frame is good. There is a 35/35 convert on a frame that can be fixed, a 37 convert that could be fixed, the other open V-8's probably are beyond help (too bad, there is a 41 convert and a 35 convert in there. There is 39/40 convert, but is only a cowl and top of drivers door. I am 57, 15-20 years ago there were a lot of antique guys around and street rodders that would fix this junk.. Today, I don't know a lot of guys that would put the time and money into re-building one of these old cars. Friday this 30 acres is open to everybody. Bidders will have to walk the whole place, decide what they want, write the number or letter of the car down. The Saturday auction will take place in field across the road, there is plenty of room here for parking. The cars will be bid on here, so be prepared to bid without seeing the car at that time.<o:p></o:p>
    I will try to answer questions, as long as I have time. <o:p></o:p>
    Matt

24. I'm betting lots 61, 62, 63, & 115 do well.

JH

25. phat rat

phat rat

I'll find out for myself Sat.

26. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Hmmmm, we're planning on going out, thanks for the info

27. matt b

matt b
    from Indiana

the numbers 61-63 all have good frames, bodies are shot, in my opinon. no trim of any kind on them, fenders are worthless, no floors, They are 32's and a good 32 frame ought to be worth $200 or so, I guess. The 32 coupe is a body only setting in dirt. the whole floor and subframe is rusted away and the it will probably break in half if picked up. I couldn't find any 32 grill parts in the whole place. I think the old guy got a lot of these cars for nothing in the 50's and 60's. Probably they were allready stripped of good parts and were rusting away out in the country.. He got them home and stored them, but they were allready bad when he got them. I was excited to find the 29 roadster and 29 roadster pickup under the barn tin and lumber that was stacked on them. Hard to believe, but there was so much stuff on and around them, that you could't see what was there. It was all removed by hand to expose the cars. When I could finally see them, it was hard. They are so bad. They had to have been rusted out hulks when they were hauled in. Water leaking on them for 40 years hasn't helped. It's a shame, the truck has no doors, but top irons are there. I mean this stuff is bad. There are about 5 model "A"'s that got covered pretty good and held up pretty nice. They all have some rust thru on one side or the other, but they are simple fixes with a patch panel.

I really recommend anybody that can come Friday to really look this stuff over and see how bad it is and how much it will take to get it out.

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

Yep, better be ready to spend some money if you want to take anything home. Should make for a fun day anyway.