Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some Pics Of some Welds Done With My Henrob Torch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Chad s

Chad s

I have been practicing with the torch for about 4 evenings now, about an hour each, so I've been welding with it for about 4 hours total. This is the first time I have ever held a torch, and welded with a method other than MIG. I LOVE this thing. Gas welding is so much more enjoyable than the squirt gun, you have so much more control over the weld pool.

Here are some pics of some practice coupons. The 90 degree weld is 1/8" steel, and the small but welds are 16 gauge. Both welds have just about 95% percent penetration, and I'm pretty happy with the appearance so far.

Attached Files:

2. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Chad, that's awesome! I will be looking into getting one or something similar when I get back. Are you using the standard tip? I've heard that the tip design has changed and is not as good as it was.
    Any problem with warpage? I will be doing body panels and want to minimize the heat.

thanks!

Dave

3. Chad s

Chad s

My torch came with 5 tips. 0,1,2,3 and a .5 alternate tip. The 1/8" plate was welded with a #2. The 16 guage was done with a #1. I practiced a lot with the #.5 on 16 guage, and found that it didnt really get hot enought o get good penetration, even though it is the reccomended tip for that thickness. I found that by controlling the heat with the #1 tip, by moving it in little circles (the henrob/cobra dvd reccomends not moving it around actually), I got a lot better penetration, could hold the puddle better, and didnt burn through.

I havnt used the torch to weld any real project yet, so I dont kow how bad the warpage will be on a body pannel, but the HAZ (heat affected zone ) is much broader with a gas weld than with mig, and it gets really hot, but you can cammer out the welds, unlike a MIG weld.

4. 16grem72

16grem72

whats the back side of the weld look like. make sure your getting plenty of penetration, otherwise you'll loose strength.

5. So, sorry if this seems stupid, but I am just wondering how exactly you do this? I jus t bought a torch, and have used it for heating and cutting, but never welding. Does anyone have a way to explain how you do it? I asume you use a rod, just "melt" it onto what your welding? kinnda like TIG welding????

6. Chopped26

Chopped26

You heat your self up a nice little puddle and stick the rod in it and just work your way along. Just remember your rod is how and dont stick it in ur eye

7. Thanks Brad, I'll try not to hurt myself..........much. Did you ever go look at that 34?????????

8. Oh, yeah- what kind of rod do you use???

9. devildog101

devildog101

Looks like you are enjoying the the torch. I have been tempted at getting one but never knew anybody who had actually tried one. if you dont mind my asking. how much was it? Did you buy it online & did you have to purchase 2 stage regulators or are you using single stage. Lastly did you weld with gas before or is the henrob your first venture into gas welding. I know i'm asking alot of questions but this is the board to get the answers.

Thanks
    Ed

10. I remember when the (Australian ) guy invented this eons ago. There never was a rush to use or manufacture them. Still doesn't seem to be. YET, everyone who has one swears by it. Go figure.

Ah, I don't have one either, maybe I should.

11. lewislynn

lewislynn

What's a henrob torch?

12. Do a search here or on the Jockey Journal. We have discussed this MANY times. They do work, and also cut like a plasma.............

13. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Sounds about right.
    Bring your heat to form puddle.
    try learning without the rod and just "Push the Puddle" as you make tiny circular dimes. Get the Hang of Pushing the Puddle First and than practice with The Rod. I use the 3 to 1 Rule. 3 Circles to form puddle and 1 Dip of the Rod. Try this sequence to Keep pushing the Puddle. Again try Puddling for a while without the Rod and than use the 3 to 1 Sequence.
    This Henrob thing sure has gotten alot of attention and it looks like an awesome Plasma style cut as well. Only thing that worries me is that Handle. Not sure if it would work for me as my Victor is all I am used to.
    Still, Very Interesting.

14. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Also, Make sure when you dip the Rod, You dont Dip it into your "Feather" or Flame. Dip into the Puddle!

15. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Ok, so what is the basic advantage of this to a very small tip Victor torch? Is it even finer adjustment? I've braised stuff before but not sheetmetal...

And I realize it spreads heat more than a Mig but i don't think it's hotter...is that right?

Dave

16. ditz

ditz

17. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Wow!:eek:

Dear Santa,

I've been good this year.....

Dave

18. I REALLY want one of these things. Anyone else use one that can back up how nice they are, and maybe even an idiot like me can use one for sheet metal with some practice????

19. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Still waiting to see the answer to this? Sometimes it seems like we go around in circles to get simple answers.

20. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

After watching the video link...I think they are answered..but if anyone wants to add something, then please!

Dave

21. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I think the advantage is the extremely low gas pressures you can run. The pressure is so low that the flame doesn't push on the metal and blow through as easy as a standard torch.

22. Chad s

Chad s

The Torch was around $350. I bought it from a guy demonstrating it at hershey.

I am using 2 stage Victor regulators. I spent more on the gas bottles and regulators than on the torch itself, I got that stuff from a local welding supply.

I have never welded with gas before the Henrob. The henrob is the first torch I have ever held, lit, and put to metal in my life. Before the Henrob, I have only MIG welded (which I have been doing for 3 years, however, I dont know how much of the technique I have learned for MIG applies to gas welding).

23. Heres a dumb question....how do I know if my torchhas single or 2 stage regulators. Mine is an old Victor setup.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 2-stage regulator will typically have two gauges on it, one that shows the first stage pressure and one that shows the pressure at the outlet. A 2 stage drops the cylinder pressure in two stages (DUH!) for consistent and accurate outlet pressure and flow regardless of the inlet pressure from the cylinder. They are much more expensive, but need to be used where outlet pressure and flow must be maintained without variation.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat! I like it! Very nice!

26. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

I started welding with a Henrob. I wanted to learn gas welding before going to the hot glue gun. Plus it looked like you could cut clean....2 for one! Works great, especially on thin metal. Warpage still needs to be avoided, but for fine body work, you can't beat it. Cutting is tricky and not as easy as their video makes it appear, but if you practiced I'm sure you could cut "like a plasma". It was a good purchase in my mind.

Nick

27. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

holy hell i want one...just watched all the vids and man is that thing freaking sweet!

28. devildog101

devildog101

As stated before the 2 stage will deliver a more consistant pressure. The gages pretty much look the same. the "two stage portion is an internal feature. Depending on the number of the victor regulator you will you know if it is a two stage. Although I beleive the two stage are usually marked as such. They are also considerably more expensive than single stage regulators. The big thing with the two stage regulators is that as the pressure of the cylinder goes down they maintain the pressure that you set. A single stage will need to be readjustesd as cylinder pressure drops.

29. devildog101

devildog101

Thanks for the info Chad

30. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's cool. I started my welding class last week and they started us out on gas. After just 2 days I'm getting pretty good at it and can make good welds that don't look bad. They have us using Victors with small tips. They guys aren't really telling us what to do but I have found by varying the gases I can get really precise with it (it helps if you actually read the textbooks I have found).

Just curious, what are the limitations of welding with gas vs. mig? The torch seems like it's perfect for what you need to do on a hot rod.