Register now to get rid of these ads!

Solid rotors vs. vented rotors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I am putting together a fenderless '32 Ford coupe with a 401 Buick, and it's time to buy front brakes. The car will be street driven. When talking with a factory rep from a well-known brake company, he tried to steer me toward a kit with 11" vented rotors, when I envisioned smaller, solid rotors. He said for street use, solid rotors would end up warping. Has anybody had problems with solid rotors on a street-driven car?

2. Got solid rotors on my T Bucket, they work great and ive never had any issues with them, they sure look better than vented ones on an old style car.

3. Swifster

Swifster

With that heavy ass Buick engine, go with vented. Solids are for tiny little cars, go karts and lawn mowers. All the weight on that car will be in thr front. They will do most of the braking. The vents keep the rotor cool(er). I have no idea why you'd want cheap brakes on your car. You're not running a single master cylinder too are you?

4. seamstome

seamstome

Sounds like a light car with a heavy high power engine. If you drive it fast, and hauss on the brakes often you may over-heat solid rotors. However many foreign sports cars like Alfa Romeo had solid rotors, and could stop repeatedly from high speeds like over 80, or 90 with no problem, or rotor damage for years. If you just cruise around most of the time solid discs should be fine, even with the occasional panic stop.