Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sold my truck,going to Japan, I have ??'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Fordtk, Jun 6, 2004.

1. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I sold my truck on Ebay,he wants to use a wire transfer to my bank.Is there a safe way to make that transfer to my bank?? He has not said any of the "I will pay you $125k you give me the change back" stuff like other "scammers".I dont want to get scammed,so far he seems straight up.He has a friend that runs a truck co. and he is going to have it picked up.I will have full payment before doing so,is there any other things I sould watch for??
    Time to go stoopid on the Coupe if/when he comes up with the flow.......... [​IMG]

2. xadamx

xadamx

A wire transfer is safe, I do it all the time when I work in Europe or Japan. Just make sure you have all the money in your account before you send it off, when it's in there it's there to stay! He will need your full name, bank acct. number and routing number. It takes about 5 days for the money to get into your acct. sometimes. I am sure he will be paying all the shipping and taking care of the customs and taxes and all that, so it's a done deal. Congratulations on selling it!

3. Ramblux

Ramblux

I sold a car on eBay a while back too. The high bidder turned out to be from Pakistan, and he wanted to do the wire transfer thing too. I wrote eBay an e-mail about it, and even they said that it sounded risky even though it was probably legit. My bank said the same thing. What they did suggest, however, was to have the guy do a wire transfer to one of his college buddies in Washington, then have that guy draft a cashier's check from his bank and send it to me, so that's what I did, and it worked out fine for both of us. Hope this helps.

4. Sounds a little fishy.

5. xadamx

xadamx

I think people are on high alert because of all the scams, and rightfully so. But wire transfers are pretty legit, as long as the money is in there before you let the truck go. Like I said, when the money is in your acct., it's there to stay. The only one who can get to it then is you. This method is the best for long-distance, international transactions. I would wire my money back to my acct. from Norway or Japan or wherever, from my friend's acct. and I always got it safely in 3-7 days. If you are still sceptical you could always have him send you an international money order, but I am not sure how high they go. Good luck!

Adam

These Japanese guys are buying a lot of cars! I have a friend who sent a car but it never arrived! Corruption at the shipper or loading docks, not sure. It just never got there. I also know of several who have done it successfully! Document the shipping process on your end to prove the shipment.

6. Marcy

Marcy

My company has done a lot of business with Japan and wire transfer is pretty standard.
    Money is in your account before the truck ships so there is no
    risk or waiting period like a letter of credit.
    Just make sure he has all the shipping details worked out and is responsible for all shipping costs.

Congratulations on the sale!

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Sold my Model A on eBay to a guy in Japan a few months ago. He wired the money to a friend of his in Los Angeles, then the guy in L.A. sent me a cashier's check for $1,000 (deposit) and then drove from L.A. to south Texas and picked up the car, and paid the balance in cash. It went smoothly, and I couldn't have asked for a better transaction.

Maybe your high bidder can contact the guy I dealt with...

his name is Mr. Takemaru, owner of Speed Classix Inc, in CA.
    and his e-mail is [email protected]...

good luck

8. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

I sold a flathead motor w/ a wire transfer to japan .The guy even typed with a accent too . I told him the shipping costs and he apid more for air freight ,guess he did not want to wait for the boat .No problems . I did inform him NOTHING will be shipped til the bank clears it and i have cash in hand .And your right if he want s change tell him NO and you will consider it a tip .

9. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I sold my cadillac to sweden by wire transfer. It's easy and I had no problems. He sent it asap, checked my account and it was all there. He wanted to pay in advance cause he couldn't come pick it up right away.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

It has been a few years since I recieved a wire transfer from England, and I don't remember all the details. I think it went from his bank to my bank and not my account, I shipped the item then the money was released to me. We were both real happy with the deal, item was better than I'd described it, and made more than I thought I would. Had many emails and a phone call before the deal was over, just communicate with the buyer and everything should work out well.

11. tomslik

tomslik

my question would be:you have to give him all your banking info, whats to stop him from using it later?(for cleaning out your bank account)

ease my mind a little, fellas....

12. japchris

japchris
    from England

If you're wanting complete peace of mind, couldn't you just open a new account (as I assume it would cost you nothing to do so). Once he's wired the money to it, take all the money out and shut down the account. THEN let him take the rod. As already has been said, lots of rods coming over here now , so most lightly legit. The buyers are probably as worried as you - afterall their sending money to a total stranger in another country and wondering if their new purchase will show up.

13. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

[​IMG] Thanks very much for all the info guys.I do have a savings account at a credit union that I never use and it only has enough in it to keep it open. I will have payment in full before it leaves here.

14. dusty

dusty

I sold the 29 coupe to 32Limey using the wire transfer. It worked out great. Check with your bank. Some have a transfer account that is separate from your own. Dough gets sent there and the bank puts it in your account. That way the buyer doesnt get your account info.

15. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Thanks Dusty,thats a great idea I will check with them Monday. You helped me out again,that radiator works great(my Flatty dont go over 180) and is now going to the far east!

16. A friend of mine sold his 37 convert recently by wire transfer,,,The banker suggested he open a new account to be safe,,,,worked out fine!

17. autocol

autocol

[ QUOTE ]
    ease my mind a little, fellas....

[/ QUOTE ]

down here, wire transfers are a very common way of transferring money, particularly for ebay deals or just buying over the 'net in general.

someone having your bank account details doesn't mean squat, they don't have the credentials to access it. do you ever draw money from an ATM? do you put your receipt in the little slot? that little slot is FILLED with bank account details, and half of them are littered down the street.

i've probably done over a hundred transactions by direct debit (which is what we call it), both paying and being paid, and i've never had trouble.

don't know why it takes five days though... ours seem to take only an hour or so.

no danger though, you just don't ship until the money's in. it can't bounce later like a cheque either.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I don't know about anyone else and I am sure going to get it from all the good hambers in other countries but I have reservations about selling our American metal overseas.
    I realize some of these cars are originally over there from the start and other guys in these countries spend alot of time effort and money trying to get enough parts together so that they can build their own right in their own country.
    I don't have a problem with that at all but actually sending a whole car overseas just seems to me to be anti-traditional [​IMG] I suppose for the right price any of us would sell our cars overseas. But to just sell to the highest bidder is not what I consider to be the "right price" I would have in mind. Just my thought on this matter but its your car,hard work and money so who am I to judge?

19. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I talked to my bank today they said no problem only takes 3 hours max and a $12 transfer fee(Wachovia is big on their fees!) I will give him the info when hes ready and go from there.
    Thanks again guys

20. nori

nori

34Fordtk , check your private message .

21. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Why are american trad rods so popular in japan and germany? I know there's a businessman in japan who bought a bunch of the painted trashcans from a "rat fink" reunion, paid sumpin like 1million for a few of 'em.
    -Crew

22. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know about anyone else and I am sure going to get it from all the good hambers in other countries but I have reservations about selling our American metal overseas.
    I realize some of these cars are originally over there from the start and other guys in these countries spend alot of time effort and money trying to get enough parts together so that they can build their own right in their own country.
    I don't have a problem with that at all but actually sending a whole car overseas just seems to me to be anti-traditional [​IMG] I suppose for the right price any of us would sell our cars overseas. But to just sell to the highest bidder is not what I consider to be the "right price" I would have in mind. Just my thought on this matter but its your car,hard work and money so who am I to judge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess the only answer to that is for you to organize a nationalist commune group to out bid and buy up all the American iron before it escapes our shores...
    You got the $MONEY$?