Register now to get rid of these ads!

Soda blasting results .......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gmgrunt, Feb 9, 2011.

1. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

EXACTLY my point! or maybe he switch to a more aggresive media.

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

walnut shells will fix you up

3. ratherberacin

ratherberacin
    from Canada EH

i own a media blasting business. i am not biased towards any one media as we use a few ( walnuts, soda, crushed glass, aluminum oxide, cob and garnet)

soda has a bad rap from lazy painters. Anything left on a body will cause paint issues.doesnt matter if its soda, water, oil, dirt, boogers or whatever. Shit rolls down hill when there is a problem and the blaster is at the bottom. Problems are 100% caused from guys not prepping properly. When we soda blast we supply the customer with holdtight 102 as a wash and wipe product. never had a complaint or a paint loss issue but I allways make sure to tell the customer to clean clean clean.

to debunk one more wives tale Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is not caustic. its neutral. Sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) is caustic, in reality soda neutralizes acid,

i think alot of these stories were started by different media blasters who could only blast one type of media and would tell the customer whatever they could to land the job

back to the original post....i would have called you back to show you the results before i went too far so you knew what it was going to look like. it is typical soda though

and..i like walnuts more than soda.

4. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

MASTER.... says "What your car is showing is the cause for the bad paint that was on it. The surface prep wasn't good, so the paint didn't look good. "

It is a 1940 factory paint job! after 70 years of sitting and most of it's life baking in the Florida sun, what would you expect paint to look like ?

Anyway, enough of my rant...I think I found my answers here. Thanks people!! No more soda for me thanks...

5. ratherberacin

ratherberacin
    from Canada EH

not to stir the pot anymore but that car has been down to bare metal in its lifetime. that wasnt original paint. you can tell by the sand scratches. so way back when somebody painted over that mess.

6. Master of None

Master of None

Had that been stated in the original post, I wouldn't have replied that. But it seems your too worried about being angry at the guy you paid to tell the full details. :rolleyes:

7. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

I always tell the customer that soda-blasting will only remove the paint,filler,lead. Not rust !!! A light dusting with crushed glass on the rusty area's and viola good clean metal.

8. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

These guys did my Sedan and it was a rusty mess, turned out nice and clean.
    Heed his words about soda its not for everyone and some paint manufactures won't warranty their paint if it goes over a soda blasted body.

9. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Just realized this thread is a year old. :eek:

10. R&W Dustless Blasting

R&W Dustless Blasting

Dustless Blasting is the way to go.