Register now to get rid of these ads!

"So, your building a RAT ROD... Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatshoebox, Apr 20, 2005.

1. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

Ok, I wanna hear some stories of someone calling your ride a Rat Rod or think your a Rat Rodder of some sort..

I have several.. but the latest:

A girl I kinda know see me at a art show and says..."Hey, come meet my new boyfriend. He wants to talk to you about your flathead"...cool i thought.. "So you in to flatheads, hun?" I ask.. "oh, no.. I race street bikes right now, but I'm gonna buy me a 20's ford and paint it flat black, ya' know a real rat rod.. Are those flatheads any good?"... I quickly lied and said "oh, I was talking about flathead harleys.. gotta run, good luck with that rat rod thing!!"

2. was he wearing an OSR t-shirt?

3. haha good one

4. You completely blew it. you should have told him that you would build one for him and drop off the bigest piece of shit car you could slam together and tell him now you are a real rat rodder...

5. I have learned to nicely correct them and tell them it is a HOT ROD and not a rat rod which is a thrown together piece of shit. Why not try and promote what we do?

6. I agree. we need to keep spreading the gospel!!

7. lownslow

lownslow

snob ........... hahaha

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes,
    Most of the people now don't even know anything about Hotrodding, its history and birth. It would be a good opportunity to spread the gospel of being real. Who knows, you could even plant a few seeds for the future generations. pj

9. Noname38

Noname38

I'm the boyfriend you asshole

10. "What's a rat rod?" -Anthony

11. Ah man don't start that shit again. They are all hot rods, just some of us build them better than others.

12. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Rats carry the plague.

Note the difference between the terms rat rod and rat bike. Rat bikes are usually ugly bikes, but have rough appearance with a wholly utilitarian purpose. Follow a function before form ideology. Rat rod has become a fashion terminlogy, really. Form before function. Could it be that rat rod was the little brother of rat bike that tried to aspire and just fell into a life of heroine addiction and sore assholes. Time for an intervention.

People ask me if I'm gonna make my New Yorker a 'rat rod'. I tell them no, and proceed to think less of them.

13. If I was a rat rodder, I'd rod right up to another rat rodder and say, "hey man, how's the rad-rodding?" Of course we would both know how the rat-rodding was, because we would both be rat-rodding. But it would be like a bond between us rat-rodders.

14. No. That's what you say to them there stinky.

15. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

some people are not worthy!

16. joerox

joerox

the term "rat rod" is insulting and demeaning to rodents everywhere... mickey and minny are considering legal action... Rodents are a hardworking, intelligent, industrious species that deserve better... but as admirable a species as the rodent are I in no way want my vehicle to be associated with the term... the new politcally correct term should be "poorly built cars built by poor craftsmen trying to emulate a style and purpose they know nothing about that are in no way interested in or should be associated with traditional hot rods or customs" or the "Rod-Challenged"...

17. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

gets my vote

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

...and you admitted it???!!? :D

19. Noname38

Noname38

Yeah my gf gave me his number so I can call him for help... haha wouldn't that be a motherfucker if I was actually the bf

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Zenor - Somehow after meeting you your comments are twice as funny.

I was in the earlier stages of building at my old house and this dude goes walking by...stops dead and looks down into the basement then said, "DAAAaaamn...it's like a monsta MONSTA garage in there huh?" I laughed my ass off.

21. Donzie

Donzie

I think this what I'm naming my new project.
    Might as well have fun with it.

22. Grimlok - when you making it back to ChiTown for more thrill-a-minute ACN meetings? Next time I'll get you that free beer...

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure if I'll even be presenting my own creative stuff so I may not be back for the next step - I'll keep you posted. I'm actually headed to a status meeting right now so I'll see what I can find out.

24. A guy was looking at the house for sale next door... sees my Model A and the '65 in the garage... and we start talking cars. He said he bought a '29 closed cab pu... but said "I wanted to rat rod it"... "but it is too nice to do that to it".

He's KINDA on the right track... so I pushed him over the edge and showed him Mike's av8 book... I told him to go buy one... and build a neat traditional styled rod out of it... "all the fun and none of the shitty workmanship"

Sam.

25. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

at work, me and a couple other guys call each other "rat rodders" as a joke..

in the morning instead of saying good morning we ask eachother if we did any ratrodding last night,,"ratrodding" meaning anything,,hahaha

if one of them ask me what im doing at the time i say with a straight face
    "im ratrodding on this piece of shit(~insert~toyota/chevy/buick/whatever) "

whats funnier is that its fun to call this one guy at work(whose building a tbucket with modern stuff,,) a ratrodder cuz he gets mad and sez he's NOT a ratrodder cuz he grew up in the 70's when paint was good! so then we call his half primmered S10 a ratrod and then he cant say shit,,hahaha..its funny..

26. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

hahaha thats rad.. hows the rat rod seach going???

27. So last summer I'm at Sonic. Me and Hollywud are leanin against the tailgate of my truck(yea, the flatblacklouvered one) Jalopy43's A sedan is parked ACROSS the lot from us...this old geezer drives up, stops, looks at the sedan, then me, then the sedan, then back at me and damn near YELLS "is that YOUR RAT ROD!??!) :eek: :confused:

I ain't got one, but I guess I got the "look" :(

28. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I had two VERY nice looking blondes tell me at a gas station they loved my "Dune Buggy" and it sure looked like a bunch of fun to ride in!
    I didn't correct them (its a 29 RPU), hell no, matter of fact I DIDN"T SAY A DAMN THING as my wife who was sitting beside me fixed her evil eye stare on both of them!:D

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was this 8 year old girl at the gas station that asked me if I got my car from "Pimp My Ride..?"

I thought I was gonna have to kick her ass........

Kidding about the ass whuppin, but not the Pimp My Ride comment...

-Abone.

30. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

What he said!