Register now to get rid of these ads!

So you have some rust...A different way to use vineger..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DamnYankeesKustoms, May 28, 2012.

1. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Actually my first experiment was using plastic sheet like would be used to wrap boxes on pallets, no rags though ... that also worked well...

I'm going to try that "navel Jelly" trick and see how that works out...

BTW.. I also use vinegar on my welding table when it gets covered in surface rust... no grinding or sanding:D

2. 62dragfalcon

62dragfalcon
    from Tucson AZ.

Sometimes the simplest ideas turn out to be the most brilliant. great idea!

3. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Magnets could be used for vertical panels...

4. Man, you're full of simple but good ideas. Using magnets to hold the plastic wouldn't have occurred to me. I'd have been trying use Gorilla tape or something. Thanks.

5. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

DamnYankeesKustoms, somewhere in this thread you have great tech, but I can't stop looking at your avatar to read it. Please remove avatar and let me focus on some kind of rust treatment you randomly speak of. :)

6. I have found that the "juice" works better in the warmer weather which enables the microbs to do their job faster. I put small parts in a sealed plastic container and set it out in the sun.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '27 tub body has lots of surface rust, it's nearly 5:00 P.M. here in Cali...I'm going to do a 'blanket de-rust' of the cowl section and check it at 6:00 A.M.

Thanks loads for this, AND the magnet idea!

White vinegar...Good thinking!

Oh, another thing: I had 16" Mooneyes (large waterslide decal) on my '56 Ford in '59, when I retired it from drag racing my Grandma had me use white vinegar to remove the decals from the white paint. Came right off, never hurt the paint.

8. I soaked a chain in Vinegar and it came out like new! I also tried it on a rusty bicycle chain from a gate and forgot it. It ate the chain up. But I was away for 2 weeks. The foam and sludge it gives off is like that Great Stuff insulation aerosol. hard and stains everything. This stuff works great on little stuff especially wire wheels where you cant get a sander accessible.

9. Beau

Beau

Lots of people use it to clean gas tanks on motorcycles.

The metal will flash rust once you rinse away the rust.

I had a set of F100 drums that were froze to the hub. I set the drum up with the backing plate side up and poured vinegar around the hub. So there was a pool of vinegar in the drum just enough to surround the hub. Abut six hours later a little hit with a brass hammer and they came apart. Work smarter not harder!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. budd

budd

i wonder what would happen if you put vinegar in some jello, would it make a paste and stick to a vertical surface?

11. Beau

Beau

:eek:
    :eek:

12. To avoid the flash rust after rinsing the vinegar off, or anything off of bare metal, use lots of hot water. It makes the metal hot and the last of the water will evaporate rapidly leaving it dry as a bone, even in the little nooks and crannies, no delay for the wet metal to oxidize. Learned that from an old machinist when porting my own heads many years ago.

13. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I saw a guy strip the rust off a Model A using Muriatic Acid and those blue paper shop towels. He painted the acid on with a brush, slapped on a towel, and painted more acid over it until he covered a whole section. Waited about 30 minutes and cleaned it off. It did a good job and did it fast. You HAVE to do it outdoors or it will kill you and cause everything in your shop to rust from the fumes. Vinegar would be a lot safer I imagine.