Register now to get rid of these ads!

so who wants to give me a lesson?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodlolita, Jul 2, 2007.

1. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

i am trying to find more out about era specific hotrod from the 40's to the early sixties.... what was a common thing to do.... how can you tell what gos and what doesn't?
    how can you tell what style to do with certin types of cars.....

i am a newbie but i really want to know how things should be put together......

not just a buncha junk throw together....

because
    i haven't found anyone in my neck of the woods that is n the up and up with this stuff .....

2. Just check it out. I don't think anybody can tell you everything about being traditional. Read, look, and, learn. You'll get it. I'll also bet there is a bunch of people to hang out with in Paso that know whats kool.

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

get yourself some of the "little books" from back in the day,,,rod & custom, custom rodder, customs illustrated,,there were many different mags,,,and the Trend custom car annuals are excellent (these mags are on ebay all the time, as well in the hamb classifieds)..,,,,if you can find the 4 volumes of barris kustom techniques of the fifties, they are a great source too,,,andy southard put out a great book called custom cars of the 1950s,,and pat ganahls book "the american custom car" is definitely required reading,,,,if you read enough of this stuff, you will develop a "feel" for what is period correct

4. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

thats what i am saying i haven't found ayoneyet that knows the difference.....maybe i am looking i the wrong places........

also all the guys up here are like hermits when it come to stuff like this unless you know the right questions to ask them they look at you like your a douche bag...

i guess i'd like to know what to start noticing...... is the question i am wanting an answer to

5. squirrel

squirrel

don't be discouraged if it takes a long time for you to figure it out....there's an awful lot to learn....a whole bunch.....starting with knowing what all the cars were from the 20s to the 60s, what all the parts of them looked like, then you have to find out what bits from one car work where in what other cars....

not to mention knowing what all was available from the speed companies.

Like they say, spend a couple years reading old magazines, and go to every car show or musueum you can and look at all the OLD cars you can find, including stock restored ones.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Mostly Hot Rodders were trying to update there Rod to what ever the latest and greatest was in the way of performance, or technological advancements that was available at the time. If you want to build a car era specific to the 1940's, don't use anything built after 1949, nothing available in the OEM or after market newer than 1949,.......

As far as style and engines go, well everyone was trying to be different then as well,..... 4 Bangers, Flathead V-8's, Offy's, fenders, no fenders, you name it and they were trying it,...get some small books and do your research, But just remember, even if you build a dead on 1940's - 60's style car, even if it looks the part, it's still a 2007 car built to pay tribute to the Hot Rods of the 40's - 60's and not the real deal.

IMHO, pick a era that you like, and built your car in that style, but make it your own, not a reproduction of someone else's dream, and don't get to wound up on "what's correct" build your car the way you see it,....... thats exactly what the pioneers of Hot Rodding did,..... nobody showed them the rule book on what is acceptable.

7. Ill give ya a hint,

If it sez "RATROD" Its from the 90s or newer

cause there wasnt any in the 50s or 60s

I was there, and the cops would not have let them on the street

8. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

i don't wanna build something that looks like it is a repro of somone eles idea but i would like to use things that were easily avalibale to kids that didnt have a lotta money to toss around....

but thanks for the books idea..... i am an avid read so that'll be good

9. Thats a good question, there are certain style's over the years. I think a start on style of build for year specific '40's, '50's, '60's that I first rate Hot rods is the wheel and tires.

I think a lot of people build hotrods and dont think about this at all, and dont understand period of build or themeatic unity. What I am talking about by wheel and tires is lets say on a model a Ford. The size of the wheels, stock size, or 16's, 15's, 14's. Then there is the style of wheel, solids, wire wheels, chrome reversed, or mags.

Then there is tire style, black wall, white wall, dirt track, cheater slicks. Depending on the size of the wheels and the style of tires on them help to decide what the builder is going for in theme.

I hope this is a little help, it is something to think about but there is a lot to take in. I would read everything you can get your hands on, and get out and go to shows.

Maybe I am just rambling,

CBB

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If it is just photos you need try. AHRF.com

11. Pick a time slot you think looks best and stick to it.If you think 60's rods were "the look" be careful not to put billet parts on.Likewise,if your into resto rods,mag wheels will look goofy.It makes a lot of sense when you know someone.s mixed flavours,you won,t have to be told its wrong?!

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Your question is pretty broad. It has taken most of us a lifetime of magazine reading, tinkering, and driving hot rods to have a good idea about your question. It isn't likely that we can tell you in a single thread.

Having said that, if you have a more specific question, fire away.

13. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Try buyin up some mags from different eras on ebay or at swapmeets. Pick some from say... the early 50's, mid to late 50's, early 60's and then the mid 60's. With all the mags in front of you it will be pretty easy to find out what was used at what times, what things stayed the whole time and what things were just plain ass ugly. From that point, decide whatchu wanna build and take it from there.

Just make sure you don't put a flathead, a Jag independant rear, blackwall 'Stones and monkey fur all together.

14. Shoeboxdriver50

Shoeboxdriver50
    from Orange, CA

OMG! to much....I agree with the folks that say look in the magazines, but you want to build "your" car. whatever it is, it should be outta your head, not ours and you have to be happy with it, not us. Like thamesvan said pick and era and start there. As it starts to come together, ask specific questions here, like should I buy that stainless steel dip stick? the folks here will keep you straight on what fits and what to stay away from. Don't get discouraged, find an old grey beard body man, you would be surprised what he might offer.

15. By the way, good to have you, the more the merrier! You came to the right place to learn, although you have a few decades to catch up on. What the other guys were saying is right, hot rodding was a constantly evolving sport. There were some extremely well put together rods, and these are the ones you saw in the little pages(early Hot Rod) and Hop-Up, and you can get reprints of the first 12 months of each of these (I found mine on the rack at the Big Ass Book Store), but, the majority of rods on the streets back then were unfinished dreams, some better than others, but they were all the best that individual could do with the funds,time, and help available to them, and a lot of those guys(and occasionally gals) built some awesome stuff, and I mean that!

Don't get too discouraged with the grey-backs that are reluctant to take you under their wing, just be cool.

16. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

ha ha ah a yeah most old men look at me and go oh god here come another bitchy woman who's gonna be moaning about having junk in the front yard... yada yada yada..... but i am not like that at all then once i get past that point... they tell me i'd look better in the passenger seat... hha ha ... but i think i got my answer... i just wanted to know where to find out about all this stuff... i have started to read hop up... the book they came out with that's got all the hop up mags reprinted in it ..... so thanks folks ......

17. You don.t have to look too far,there.s a post on here called "yeah,thats a hotrod".Build something like these and you.ll be in the money!

18. Well, you picked THREE decades. All very different. I've been called an era correct nazi before, but, it's all about continuity of vision. In addition to time specific differences, there's locally different styles. East coast cars are very different from west coast cars, especially in the 40s and 50s. This is because it occured before there were many magazines, much less the internet. So people built what was cool to their local styles. Once you narrow it down to what you like, you'll start to study the builders and customizers who define cool, for that style. For example, Sam Barris, Harry Westergard for the best of the west coast customisers. The prime example of the best East coast style hot rod would be Frank Mack's model T roadster. Doane Spenser for the best West coast style hot rod. And so on… But first read all you can and figure out what you like best. Then focus, focus and focus some more.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the HAMB.