Register now to get rid of these ads!

So what happened to all the pics?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Roothawg, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think we lost a bunch of pics this last go around. I see a lot of threads with red X's now. Some will drop off if folks have them hosted somewhere else, but I have noticed a lot lately.

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Photobucket changed from free to pay a fee and holding pictures for ransom to the tune of 300.00 to $400.00 per year to get them back.
    That seems to be the jist of some discussions.

It's causing quite a firestorm for car and sports websites.

It could also be that some guys are deleting their Photobucket accounts too.

See the other post in the Q+A section discussing the subject

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sad to hear. A lot of valuable information will be lost in the H.A.M.B. Archives.

4. 117harv

117harv

I don't get the photo storing sites? I have all my pics here on my laptop, I can access, resize, send and post them anytime....photo bucket?

jeffd1988 likes this.

5. Wow...that is likely just the start of similar things to come... :( Glad my pics are all on overloaded hard drives. :rolleyes: It has always kind of amazed me that so many websites, forums, etc. can do so many things for free (until they are able to somehow hold stuff hostage as in this instance).

6. Actually, if the images are in the HAMB's Archives (that is, uploaded to the HAMB's servers) they'll be safe for the long term. The only issue right now is with images uploaded to an external hosting service, specifically Photobucket.

If you only intend to display your images on the HAMB then uploading them to the HAMB's server is the way to go. If you want to display them here as well as on other websites then you might want to upload them an external hosting service like Photobucket or Flikr or something similar.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Never used photobucket, but I see how that could happen. Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be a common factor.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

There was a time, before the new H.A.M.B. Server, we all worked to keep pictures off the smaller H.A.M.B. Server.
    Most pictures at that time were downloaded to a picture site and a high percentage were photobucket.
    I can even remember Ryan asking us to help by clearing out messages and unnecessary items.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of us have used photobucket as backup storage in case of a hard drive failure. It's always been free to use since it was ad supported, so it made sense to upload pics you didn't want to lose and if you wanted to post them on a site, you just posted the img code. Now they have probably lost most of their ad revenue, they turn on their customers with highway robbery demands to use their service and hold your stuff hostage if you don't pay, a mafia tactic. I would pay a reasonable fee for the convenience and the safety of having multiple copies of my stuff, but they aren't being reasonable, they are being ridiculous. It is going to backfire on them, most people who have gotten something for free are not going to suddenly pay an outrageous fee to use their services, and holding people's documents hostage for payment in this manner is probably illegal to start with. Look for the lawsuits to start, and photobucket to go belly up shortly.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never got into the Photobucket deal, it was too many steps, back when I first started I had a camera that used full floppy disks, and I just posted directly to the HAMB. Today my camera uses a chip and I post the same way. I do have boxes of photos on floppy disks that I'll never see again, unless there is a was to convert them to a disk. Bob

11. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

… I stopped using one of those online photo listing company’s years ago when I found out they were offering my own rare photos (without my permission) - for sale at exaggerated prices.

Never2low and The37Kid like this.
  12. I have used photobucket for years,and I had a paid account,around 40 bucks & ad free with all the storage I needed.

I started using them to help Ryan when the hamb server couldn't accommodate the huge volume of images.

everything on my Pb is/was not associated with the hamb and I have lost all my pictures to their ransom tactics.now pb wants between 300 and 400 bucks a year,I refuse to pay ransom.

I made a stab at trying to down load some of my photo's and they have attached a virus to all the downloaded images...I had to clean my computer and lost everything and start over.

There was now warning this was coming,pure unadulterated greed! :mad: and there is not a damn thing we can do about it shot of paying through the nose,so I apologize for all the red x's you will see in my post.

I went through all my sims cards and uploaded every thing that is related to the hamb to the seldom used album & media offered here on the site.HRP

Ric Dean likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I still can't figure out why you got a virus Danny. I have downloaded 5 of my albums, about 500 pics, and I scanned them with antivirus software after your problems, and they all came up clean. Getting the rest of my pics has been frustrating though, every time I try to download an album, it gets stuck and quits. I figure it's due to heavy traffic doing the same thing.....

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am going back to film and paper photos...anyone want to come over and look through photo albums!!!

15. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

16. There seems to be a common misconception that if you have image files uploaded to a FREE Photobucket hosting account, your images are somehow being "held hostage". That you can no longer access your own images or download them. Or that your photos have somehow mysteriously disappeared into the ether.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

What they've decided to do is stop allowing the linking of photos uploaded to their FREE hosting accounts. If you're willing to pay a usage fee the links apparently will be restored. The problem really is that their usage fees are high enough to scare off most of their casual, non-commercial FREE account holders.

I don't see any need for immediate panic. As a matter of fact, you might want to wait a couple weeks for the dust to settle in case their policies change again. They may restore image linking to their FREE accounts or at least offer an acceptably lower fee for their services. Well... it could happen. :rolleyes:

Here's a link to another thread I posted with some more information.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/photobucket-is-not-holding-your-images-hostage.1068809/

17. If you want to share your images on the 'net you have to upload a copy of them somewhere to an image hosting site so the rest of us on the Web can access them. Photobucket provided this service for free until recently and allowed you to link your pictures to practically any website out there. Ryan also generously provides this hostig service for free, but you can't link the images to any other sites except the Jalopy Journal (and probably the Garage Journal and Ford Barn, I'm guessing).

Consider getting a USB floppy disc drive...

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Floppy-Drive-FL-UDRV/dp/B00E9MD700

...and transfer the image files from your floppy discs to your laptop or desktop PC.

What hosting site was that? An ambitious attorney should have been able to get you fixed right up. Unless you overlooked something in the offending site's Terms Of Service.

Yikes! Were you downloading your images one at a time or downloading albums? Did you have the proper software to open and extract the images from the compressed Zip files? So far I've had no problems opening the Zip files of the albums I've downloaded using the 7-Zip free software.

117harv likes this.
  18. I had a payed account on PB but I got the shaft like everyone else,so I thought I would down load my files on as a zip file.

I was trying one at a time just a day or two after Photobucket dropped the bomb,my computer was extremely slow and I had just used System Mechanic and everything was running smoother and on the 5th photo the screen went black.

I tried for several hours to get back on line or just get back to my files in the hard drive..nothing.

I took my computer to our resident computer and was informed I had a non-repairable virus and had obviously downloaded it while trying to recover my photos....I lost everything on that computer so I am a little leery. HRP

19. Yeah... I'd be a little cheesed too, especially considering that you had a paid account. The site has continuously gotten harder to use over the last few years. Sometimes it would hang while uploading in Internet Explorer but work much better with Firefox. But with the free account you still had to spend a lot of time closing the ad windows to uncover the buttons you needed to click. A pretty obnoxious experience.