Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So let's chop a 40 coupe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zibo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Travis your my hero!

2. I have BIG ears...and feet:rolleyes:;):D

Do it.....even if it's not working to potential, it would be appropriate, and a positive distraction from all the tyrekickers talking about bodylines....:):D

Cheers,

Drewfus

3. At first I thought it a mistake to chop a 40, but now my mind is changed. It really looks good... now with the caddy flatty set back and the home-made frame, I'm hooked. I can't wait to see what kind of wild headers you create... Sweet!

4. Ebert

Ebert

Peter Pan,

This is MY old 40...now owned by a great guy in Dallas. Thanks for your compliments!!!!! I wish I could take credit, but the old girl was chopped back in the 50's or early 60's according to the great guy I bought it from. I loved that car, but really love my unchopped '40 Tudor now...more room, better ability to see, etc!

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Congrats on the profile. It looks pretty good to me.

6. ratster

ratster

7. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

OK here's my chopped 40 coupe. the way that I found it and how it's sitting somewhat now. Rags to Richs post some pictures of it on a trailer a few pages back.
    I swap a 30-31 Model A body for it. now it's just hanging out in my garage taking up valuable real state. (we all should have that problem)
    Zibo - good job on the chop and frame, it's looking good

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'd chop it. But I think EVERYTHING looks better chopped... There's enough unchopped 40's out there for you purists. Wait a minute, isn't this a hot rod board? Or does that only mean change the engine and take off the fenders????

9. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Ok so your gettin closer... At least you got some pictures of the car on the HAMB.... Got to get together so I can show you how to link then to Photobucket...... Shit... If its in your way... Find a buyer for my UNCHOPPED 40 and I can put this one on my frame....

Rags.............

10. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Sorry guys, just learning to post pictures. Here are some more of the chopped 40 and the model A I swapped for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

YAHOOOOOOO...... You got it...........

Rags................

12. alsancle

alsancle

Speaking of 40 Ford chops, this is about to be auctioned at BJ and it made me think of this thread. I thought the chop looked pretty good.

---> From the catalog:

A 1940 Ford chopped coupe that was found in a chicken ranch barn in Yucaipa, CA. It was restored to preserve the Kustom features of the find including shaved drip rails and door handles, frenched head and tail lights, leaded molded fenders and 6 -7" chop from the original Ford lines. Chromed Radir single ribbed wheels were added with chromed De Soto bumpers. Powered by a rebuilt Ford Flathead with original speed equipment and Offenhauser heads, Eddie Meyer custom intake, LaSalle 3-speed transmission and Lincoln brakes. The paint and striping was done by E-Dog of Riverside and interior by Kiwi Kustoms also of Riverside. Along the way of this project, the find was documented and authenticated by George Barris as a part of Barris Industries permanent collection. Not a copy. An original one-of-a-kind.

http://www.speedfantasybid.com/car.php?dfg=d38901788c533e8286cb6400b40b38

Edit: I see there is a whole thread on this car: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320015

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  13. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

great work zibo ! every thing looks better with a few inches out of it !
    and hell yes I hope you cut the green one next !
    god there`s a bunch of closet restorers on here.

14. mj40's

mj40's

Prices are down this year at BJ and that old Barris Kustom only got 77,000 bid. Lot of sellers crying this year. :eek:
    Personaly I think the prices are getting back to real values. Buyers that went this year with 100g to spend are coming home with 2-3 cars for the money.

15. 40's look like ass chopped.

16. 64krusty

64krusty

Thats Scrub Hansens chopped 40 "statutory grape"
    He's a member of the same car club as me,the Blacktoppers.
    It was featured in The Rodders Journal a few years ago,heres a couple more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

leave it, a 40 ford is better left alone, its one of those cars that is at its best in its raw uncut form..........just my 2 cents

18. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

I have been waiting to see what you decided? Any updates

19. DanCollins

DanCollins

havent heard from Zibo in a while...I wonder whats goin on with his coupe? just to add fuel to the fire as to whether or not to chop a '40....heres one i'm doing for a customer....

Attached Files:

20. Funny I was just wondering about this thread yesterday.

Dan - that looks like an interesting take on this. Hardtopped?:cool:

21. DanCollins

DanCollins

yeah, hardtopped, but trying not to make it a clone of a Matranga style merc. To me the Fords look like crap if the roof gets too flat in the back. I was able to find another 40 ford roof as a donor so I had extra metal to work with and then made a bunch of parts on the english wheel too. I tried to keep the shape of the 40 roof while just lowering it, it's actually chopped alot more than it looks. I took 6" out of the A pillar. I basically cut the roof away from the B pillar back and threw it away and started from scratch, still have more to do but it's getting there....

22. Certainly appears to work very well!
    Keep us posted on this one please.

23. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Who says they did not make a 40 3 window? ;)

24. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Muttley has a very good point.The 40s have a great look with the chop....

Steve

25. chad

chad

Zibo any updated on this one???