Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I like the smell of WD-40 (and hello!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steel Phoenix, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

Well, so what does one say here for their first post, anyway?

My brother-in-law told me about this board, so I've been lurking for a few days. Thought I'd better say hello.

I don't have 'THE CAR' yet, but I'm sure the right one will come along when the time is right... I'm especially fond of late 40's to early 50's American cars, but I admire most old and Old Skool types. (I love my "F*ck Trailer Queens!" shirt, but I can't wear it at work... bummer)

Other than that... I teach graphic design/computer graphics—I'm a complete Photoshop NUT, I'm surrounded by car freaks (and that is a GOOD thing), and I love to work with metal. I'm not that good at it yet, but I do love to weld.

I live in the SF bay area, and I'm looking forward to Billetproof. That's about it for now.
    [​IMG]

2. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well you are completely wrong about one thing....
    The right car never comes along at the right time, only the wrong time! [​IMG]

Welcome.

3. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

Good point... I'll just have to work on that. [​IMG]

Of course we could be looking at it wrong... it could be the perfect time for the CAR. [​IMG]

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

yeah,i'm looking forward to billetproof too,except for the fact that it takes place in that hellishly hot armpit of the bay area known as Antioch... [​IMG]

5. gridley

gridley

Welcome!!!
    Remember that the car well come at the wrong time. You know? WHEN YOU DON"T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!! [​IMG]

6. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    I teach graphic design/computer graphics—I'm a complete Photoshop NUT,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure we'll all find a use for you somehow [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There's ALWAYS a need for some photoshopping [​IMG]

Welcome to the board!

Kris

7. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Ya know, I like the smell of brakekleen. Not that cheap dollar store shite but the real thing. You go on with your WD-40. LOL

Outstanding! A new photoshopper. I can't work with that for shit so it is always nice to know there are those of you out there that can.

And they're right ya know. That only way to guarantee the right car coming along is to blow all your money on luxuries like bills and food. THEN that ride will show up for a song. But you won't even have enough to whistle. LOL I think the only consolation is that it seems to work that way for everyone so none of us have to feel alone. [​IMG]

Welcome to the HAMB man! Have a good time.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good attitude, you'll fit in just fine here. It doesn't get any better about the cars showing up at the right time. I'm 60 and the 'MUST HAVE' ones still show up when I'm broke.

Frank

9. [ QUOTE ]
    yeah,i'm looking forward to billetproof too,except for the fact that it takes place in that hellishly hot armpit of the bay area known as Antioch... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

But at least its a show, and you ain't stripping a car..... [​IMG]

Welcome to the HAMB

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Welcome aboard. I'm a designer myself.

Now about needing a car... How about a '63 Fairlane wagon??? [​IMG] It misses the warmer climates. [​IMG]

11. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh! Don't I know it! I live in Concord, which isn't too far from Antioch. At least it isn't Gilroy, which is much worse.

Sunscreen, and a big straw hat... those will be helpful.

I've got a Photoshop 'chop job' I'm playing with on a 1950 Buick. I'll post it when I'm done. [​IMG]

Keri

12. [ QUOTE ]

At least it isn't Gilroy, which is much worse.
    Keri

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I work in Gilroy, and yeah, it get's up there, but last year's Billetproof was just hellishly hot....

Maybe Kirk can set up a mister to keep folks cool, The Strangers had one at their show a few weeks back, and it was WONDERFUL!

See ya a Billetproof....

Dave...Camera in hand & funny accent!

[​IMG]

13. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

I've got one of those portable misters that I'll probably bring too. Just gotta make sure I don't get anybody's car with it, or my camera.

I got heat stroke last time I was in Gilroy.

I have my fingers crossed that it will be a bit cooler at Billetproof this year... (prayin' for early morning fog!)

14. 34cpe5w

34cpe5w
    1. 34 Fords

Ummm, I just want to say I like the smell of WD-40!

15. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Welcome, my friend. Smells great,tastes awful!! Glenn

16. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Personally, I have a preference for PB Blaster. Although after I've gotten enough of its wonderful aroma, I usually need to lie down. Often times, right on the garage floor.

17. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

You're not supposed to sit there snorting it. [​IMG]

There's just a lot of automotive and industrial smells I like. I guess its a good thing that I do since I'm married to a mechanic. WD-40 just has a smell to it that is pleasant, but I don't sit there sniffing the can or anything. I like the smell of hot steel too... a bit strange, but there you go. [​IMG]

18. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    You're not supposed to sit there snorting it. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I end up doing a lot of things you're not supposed to do.

Good old gasoline smells great. So does Marvel Mystery Oil. And cutting fluid. But above all, I really like a henway.

19. 47lincsled

47lincsled

I had to help an old man drill 1 inch holes in 1 inch plate in a small enclosed shop,the cutting oil we used was great,hot oil on hot steel,we were both wasted.

20. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

welcome to the board!

I been buying different spray lubes the last month or 2 and I think the Ronson spray lube is the best smelling [​IMG]
    I only use it on the stuff that needs to be lubed inside and save the wd40, gunk and the other stuff for the outside
    me and the kids had a big sniff off and it was all in favour of the Ronson [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. atch

atch

steel,

welcome. there have been so many intros lately that i don't read them any more. however, i saw one of your responses to another post and wanted to know who you were, so i looked at your profile and read your intro.

says you like blacksmithing. when the time is right fill us in on this a bit more. there are times where smithing is appropriate for traditional hot rodding. granted, not often, but there are occasions. i don't have any of the tools or a forge, but i took a weekend blacksmithing class in amana, iowa, a few years ago and it was quite interesting.

also you mentioned your husband once but said your bro-in-law introduced you to the hamb. does this mean that your hubby doesn't know you're here playing with a couple thousand "other guys"?

and who would this bro-in-law be?