Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs So does this bumper change look good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, Jan 20, 2012.

?
  1. I like the '58 Olds bumper leave it alone!

26.0%
  2. I like the Impala bumper and think it improves the car!

71.4%
  3. I don't like either so keep looking...

2.6%
  1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

I have a '58 Olds 2 post and I am looking to do as an early 60's mild custom. I like the car's lines but always thought the front bumper looked heavy and did not really go with the car's lines. So I wanted to do something different but not so crazy that it would go from mild to full on custom. I actually like different parts of all of the 1958 GM line of cars and so thought I would start there for bumper donors and think I have settled on a 58 chevy bumper. Attached is a quick photoshop, I did nothing with the grill but have some ideas. I always liked the floating grill in Andy Southard's 1958 Chevrolet (see attached). So what do you think, does it work?

Attached Files:

2. it doesnt look bad but i think it still looks too much like a 58 chevy (which i love em)
    maybe take out the hump over the license plate

the floating grille would be cool

3. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Depends on what you are going to do with the rest of the car, but agree with your "heavy look" with the current.

4. amx180mph

amx180mph

I like the Chevy grille. What is the plan for the turn/parks?

5. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

MUCH better with the Chevy grille. Maybe take the Oldsmobile grille, turn it upside down, and use it for a rear bumper with red lenses for your tail lights?

6. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

I like the olds better. just my $.02:cool:

7. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

I like the heavy look so I vote for the original as well!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stock bumper is one thing I never liked about that model of Olds but I think the Chevy bumper makes it look a bit too Chevy for me.

9. In your photo shop, I like the olds stuff better.
    Now on the chevy stuff, if you brought the ends in to flush with the fenders and eliminated the plate bump, I think that would look pretty cool.

10. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Thanks for all the feedback, all the '58 gm body sheet metal look pretty similar from the front if you remove the grill and bumpers so I can understand the "it looks too much like an impala" comments. If I had a three-quarts view with the bumper (I can't I have no/limited photoshop skills) I think the car would not give that same impala feel.

AMX- the turn signals are in the center bar of the grille.

I think it is interesting that I can't really find any radical customs examples of 58 Olds, with the exception of the Egyptian which other than the chop is not real radical from a body mods standpoint.

11. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I kinda like the Chevy bumper on it. Looks a little "cleaner" and seems it flows a little better especially if you do the floating grill. It also "simplifies" it in my opinion. My wife also said she preferred the Chevy grill when I asked her.

48 Poncho

12. I put my vote in on the stock unit. It's so ugly it's cool. I like it.

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I like the Chevy bumper alot . With some otheer well thought out mods, the car will be a cool 60s custom with a cleaner look than the factory offered.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd keep the stock bumper, get rid of the center badge in the grill, remove the stock bumper guards and license plate, OLDSMOBILE on the hood and call it done.......

15. Ruiner

Ruiner

Maybe a '58 Pontiac bumper and the floating grille bar?...

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

the change is actully quite good,it gives the front symetery and eveness,nice change go for it.

17. i dig the impala unit..opens up the grill, and makes it beg for a floater!

18. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I vote for the Impala bumper, it looks cleaner. Also have you given any thought to a '58 Buick grille behind the Impala bumper?

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Olds bumper with a floating grill. The Chevy grill looks more like a back bumper stuck on the front.

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

I like the Impala grill you are right the olds is very cluncky looking. Maybe cut the blinker part down and use smaller lenses to lessen the bulkyness of the Olds bumper