Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So. Calif Car Clubs of 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RRuss, Dec 6, 2009.

1. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

[​IMG]The other day the wife and I were going through our collection of STUFF to clean out and throw away, stuff our kids don't want and I'm sure others could use as good fire starter material.

When I found this "Crash Helmet" magazine/booklet I sat down to read it. Oh my what memories and I'll admit a few tears from this old man wet my cheeks. I know I'm an old sentimental fool. These were great times not to be had again.

Then I thought the HAMB community who might enjoy it. There are many So Cal. Car Clubs mentioned along with tons of Club members names and pictures of their Rods and Customs. Click on each to read. I can only hope that some Hamb members names are mentioned. If so please submit your memories.

Note to exclude members from other states Car Club please submit your thoughts.

To Ryan and his staff: A BIG THANK YOU for this Site

Enjoy, Bob
    P.S Many Thanks to ELD and many others who helped me get this downloaded. The cover of this booklet did not come thru. I'll add it another day. This computer crap just makes me want to go take a Nap.

Thanks Again to All who reads it

[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG]%20[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. ELD

ELD

Good job Bob, glad you figured out how to post the images. Anymore good stuff? keep it coming. Looking for info on Carlsbad Oilers.

3. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Bob...What a great post, and a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing it with us.

4. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

Great stuff! Thank you for posting it!

5. That was great brother...thanks for sharing.....keep it coming if you have any more "hot rod gold" to pass on.

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

cool stuff...thanks

7. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

RRuss. KILLER. NUTS. Got more??? Thanks. Slim

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

9. blackout

blackout

Great stuff here. Thank you

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Great history, Thank you for sharing !

11. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Very cool!! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to share it with us!

CR

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Hope you are not using anything like that for fire starter material. pass it along for posterity. Thanks for sharing.

13. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Great job thanks for that little piece of history keep it coming if you have more

14. that is AWESOME!!!
    had i been alive in 1957, that would have been a LOCAL magazine. it was published in the town i live in and the clubs and business advertised are local. most of the addresses are within a few miles of where i live and work.

i'm gonna show it to my dad and see if he recognizes anyone.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

thanks for that...fantastic!:D

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

although a few years earlier than 1957, this one, and the T-Timers were two local clubs that I remember as a real little kid...
    [​IMG]

17. Splinter

Splinter

Hahaha-that's great. My Pop was a member of the T-Timers. GAVE them his 40 Ford when he got a deuce coupe to put his Merc flathead in....which I beleive he paid the staggering sum of 10 bucks for. Oh, the times were HARD, boys,the times were HARD.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

get in touch with 64 Dodge 440....he was in the T-timers and may have known your Dad...

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one?

[​IMG]

My friend was a member and still runs his plaque on the back of his Willys Touring/Pickup .....

IMG_7804.JPG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I also have a copy of this same Crash Helmet but have no idea where I got it. I was living in Redondo Beach at that time.

Bill Junge

Vampires - So Calif
    Vampires - So Bay
    Magoos - Hermosa

jnaki likes this.
  21. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for scanning and posting these very cool articles

22. Lucky444

Lucky444

That was a great nostalgic read, thank you!

23. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

Many Thanks to all that posted your kind comments. This is the cover to Crash Helmet, (Pretty young thing)

To Bullet Nose: I got my copy from a Poker Run that I attended, I think. Maybe you received your copy from some Club function you attended.

The most important part of this thread for me is that some HAMB member will see their name mentioned and will share their memories.

Again Many Thanks to all
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. PokerStogey

PokerStogey

Great piece of hot rod history. Thanks for sharing

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Very cool, having grown up in Long Beach I am familiar with a few of those names. Even attended some of those functions.

26. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

In the Life Magazine photo archive there's a bunch of late '50s car club photos. One shows some guys with jackets that had their club name: "Four Elevens." That one's my favorite.

27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Did you belong to a club back then? I don't recall when or where I picked this issue up and wonder if anyone else has one or more of the other issues.

The cover on the issue we have says Vol. 1 No. 14 so I'm assuming there are at least 13 more issues. Would love to see others.

28. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

wow....Hotrod history at its finest. Thank you.

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's our old car club jacket from 1955---We were right in the middle of it all back then!!!--------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

30. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

Bullet Nose Yes I was a member of the Bachelors of Compton A small club that all we wanted to do was party, cruise the drive-ins and look at the girls and cars. Notice I said girls before cars. Even as an old fart I'm a still lookin. I had a Red 56 Chev p/u lowered to the ground not bagged lower. Yes it rode like a tank but god was that fun. There was also another 56 Chev p/u that ran around Long Beach that was simiular to mind. I raced any and everything. If I couldn't get em off the line I shut it down. If memory serves me right I timed at Lyons at 78mph eta 17 something Sec. Yea I know earth shattering time. I'm still looking for my name in the records book LOL

I also recall going to a drive-in South Gate, Calif. While enroute I raced a 55 Ford fordomatic loaded with a ton of guys. Needless to say it was no race. At the drive in the guy driving the 55 Ford comes over and asked what was I running, Stock of course that's what we always said. He asked me if I liked to race a 40 Ford coupe, pointing to it. I asked what is he running, stock, he said. Being the brash you punk I was I said sure bring it on.

We went somewhere near the GM Plant, lined up someone said go and off we went I think. Now let me tell you I know what the back end of a 40 Ford coupe looks like, but that car I'll be damm it I ever saw it take off. All I heard was tires screaming and smokin.

Sometime later I was told it was a 49 Olds engine built by someone named Keith Black.

I better close for now the memory is fading until I can remember something else I'll close for now.

Attached Files: