Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So Cal back in the day...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1stGrumpy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You mean 7th and Highway 1 (PCH) and that's where Bellflower Blvd meets PCH and 7th. That's close to Belmont Shores.

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in 1960 it was called the 101 Pacific Coast Highway, today it is called Highway 1 as per California state naming routes. From Joe Jost's you head east on Anaheim and turn right on 101 PCH (Highway1). Yes, it is where Bellflower meets PCH, but you can't get into the parking lot from Bellflower. After a few U turns, then you can. From Joe Jost's it is the shortest and most direct way as described above. The parking lot entrance is off 101 PCH. My friend and his wife owned the Mexican Restaurant just back a ways on PCH. It is now a different restaurant.
    Belmont Shore is just a stone's throw away to the south and west. Great show every year.

LBCD... Domenico's Pizza has been around since 1954 and I am pretty sure that every teenager from the local high schools has been there to taste that fabulous pizza and... Don't forget that great salad with the secret dressing... It is still going strong after all of these years...still tastes the same. Parking is still a wonderful exercise in maneuvering. It is worse for the car show parking as 2nd street is closed for the show.
    Great times, great place...
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

3. jimmy six

jimmy six

Spent too many lunches at the 49er. Pretzels/mustard and pitchers of beer.

4. jnaki

jnaki

YES ! LBSC is just up the road...
    Jnaki

5. LBCD

LBCD

jnaki and Surfcityrocker like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

LBCD,
    More photos or videos of the car show? They always had great cars on Belmont Shore's 2nd Street during this event.
    Jnaki

7. LBCD

LBCD

I will download a few when I get my kid to download them from his camera...the show next year is changing and not sure how it will effect the vibe. They will be allowing new vehicles too that have been modified...i hope that won't last long as the tuner crowd will F it up .

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Google "Bombardment of Elwood". Happened about 23 February 1942.

Mick

10. Nope they still don't serve PBR and probably never will after Ken got so badly screwed by them. As much as I like ice cold PBR, that's no reason to stay out of Joes.

My son got married this weekend and I've had family out from the East, we're all staying down on Balboa peninsula, but Ive made more trips to Joes hauling out of towners over the last 7 days than I can believe. They all love it, couldn't get enough. Still the best bar in LB.

jcmarz and lbcd like this.
  11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I liked this '30/31 truck a lot. The tiny man standing in the bed was a little strange:
    IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. LBCD

LBCD

There were a couple of trucks and RPU's too that were nice...my kids camera shutter button was jamming and I looked at the pics last night...not the best. Hope to post a couple later. I must have missed you...I was just up the street from that truck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I saw your car, but there didn't appear to be anybody with it at the time. I was around the corner on Santa Ana at a friend's house with my shoebox.

lbcd likes this.
  14. This was the only hot rod I saw this last week down on the Balboa peninsula. Owner must live there as it was in a different spot everyday. Super rusty sheet metal, don't know if that was by design or from the salt air but it was pretty cool and for sale.
    FullSizeRender-51.jpg FullSizeRender-52.jpg

Russ B, lbcd and 50Fraud like this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've seen that RPU there everytime I go to

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Neat. Can you see what engine is in it?

17. LBCD

LBCD

Dropping my daughter up to college and love stopping and finding gems like this...If you guys are cruising up the 101 stop off at Los Alamos....cool place with a few old building's still standing and and like you are back in time[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nice shirt girl!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

50Fraud likes this.
  18. Little embarrassed, but no. I didn't even look through the louvers.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That thing deserves a new home. Whatever engine is in it, it's bitchin'!

Russ B likes this.
  20. I thought it was priced a little high, 19K. But that might just be me.

21. You can't keep anything good down there, I would leave an open spot of steel and it would look like that the next day. Looks like after 15th on the way to the Fun Zone (not fun anymore since the wheel is gone).

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree. Maybe 10 or 12 for a diehard old time hot rod enthusast.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six

Sunday mornings at the parking lot near the ferry boat entrance is full of hot rods..

24. Sunday morning was the day after my sons wedding, I was in no shape to head to the ferry but I'd like to go back and check them out. Got to be the best deal in so cal, ride the ferry for a buck, two if you have a car.
    thanks.

25. LBCD

LBCD

Growing up in Long Beach and Lakewood I would always hear the sound of Boing testing their jet engines....sometimes late into the evening. The testing fascility is no longer in use but sure is fun to drive around the Long Beach airport while the old parts are still there as new buildings are going up fast in the unused areas.
    1474150973707.jpg

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. LBCD

LBCD

ehdave likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six

It's sad to see all the Douglas/Boeing building gone when I go to the LB Topping Swap Meet. Sad to see all those jobs gone..

28. I agree, very strange to see.
    You guys ever see the pictures from WWII when they built a neighbor hood on top of the buildings, lawns, cars and so on even actors were hired to walk around so to hide the factory from spy planes, or bombers? They did that at several factories but my mom said you could see the buildings and a gas station on the roof tops at Douglas well into the 50's.

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    What about those unusual cement shelters that lined Lakewood Blvd in the 60's? Ever go inside of them? Eerie.
    Jnaki

30. Phillips

Phillips

[​IMG]
    Douglas Aircraft Santa Barbara camoflauge.

55belairx2 and LBCD like this.