Register now to get rid of these ads!

snubber/bumpers in notch on frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

Ok here are a couple of pics of the notch in the rear of the frame for the rear end to clearance. I believe that the frame at times hits the rear end (from hearing a loud thump/clank) I put on new shocks and can not use air shocks because of clearance problems with the frame. The PO put pieces of rubber around the tube of the rear end but those have worn out and or are gone. I am thinking of putting a bumper stop in so that at least it will not be metal on metal. One problem that immediately comes to mind is I will have less travel between the cut out and rear end... What do you all think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the kind of stop I was thinking of using - I would drill a hole in the top of the cut out area and bolt this into the arch and put a nylock nut on top??

[​IMG]

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

3. My concern with those is they mount on a flat surface and your c is curved. If they dont mount flat, they could bust apart even faster.

4. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Yikes, I dont know much but in the second picture, is that a break line running through the c-notch? Might want to re-locate it??

5. 117harv

117harv

Mount the stop on the inside of the frame rail off of a bracket so it hangs down just a 1/2" or so lower than the C notch.

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Build a tab with gussets to mount the bump stop on and weld it to the boxing plate so
    that the tip just hangs down below the C notch.

7. striper

striper

First thing you need to do is re-route your brake line.

After that, mount your bumpers on a bracket next to the notch so they just make contact with the axle housing a little before the housing would otherwise bottom out in the notch.

8. striper

striper

9. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I don't know what that hose is but it shouldn't be a brake line with, what appears to be, a hose clamp . Maybe axle vent?

Yes a snubber is a good idea. A suspension that goes from sprung to solid creates wonky handling. A softer rubber one instead of urethane is better yet. Mount it with an offset bracket if under the notch won't work.

10. 1948stude

1948stude

the “hose” I think is a spring not sure why it is there, YES I noticed the brake line too it WILL be moved - not a big deal for what could be a BIG deal if I don’t move it. Gnichols thanks for the link - I will call and see if they have a rubber one. Offset mounting why didn’t I think of that! That is what these forums are all about :) thanks. In the picture below I would mount my bracket approximately where the red circle is and the stop/snubber would hang to the point where the blue line is on both sides - right?

[​IMG]

11. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I'd make it serve two purposes- make a mount for the snubber that follows the curve of the c-noth and can add some very badly needed strength back to that fairly scary little bit of frame you have left- sort of like a fully welded fish plate/ snubber bracket.

12. rodrigose

rodrigose
    from new york

My concern with those is they mount on a flat surface and your c is curved[​IMG]

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, re route that brake line, please...........

4TTRUK

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Me too. I think that's a great way to solve the problem. Note to self... Gary

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  15. 1948stude

1948stude

huh??????????????

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry for the typo / etc., I was trying to ref all the posts about mounting the snubber on a bracket on the side of the frame, instead of at the top of the C notch. The note to self deal is so I remember to mount my snubbers that way in the future. Gary