Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Squablow

Squablow

It is my understanding that there are no syncros in a pre-39 trans, and that the 39 trans only has syncros between second and third. You would still have to double clutch and match RPM's to downshift into first with a '39 trans, and you need to do that between every gear, up and down, with a pre 39 trans.

Also, the addition of Zephyr gears is not to add syncros to the transmission but to make the gear ratios closer together.

Other HAMBers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Torchie

Torchie

3. ha ha absolutely ! Plus I own 2 british cars, so I am quite familiar with setbacks :)

Yes I had already ordered Vanpelts book, so I'm good to go, plus last winter I took a 2 day MG transmission rebuild course in Grand Rapids, so I know just enough to be dangerous ! I like your quote "And if you change one thing than truly you have changed every thing...." I will keep that in all of Snewpee's plans & finally, you better get up to St.Ignace ! - this year is the 40th anniversary & the last year the original organizer Ed Reavie will be involved... hope it continues... I already have hotel booked so Snewpee will be there.

Got it ! and if I take the antenna & radio out I can go back to 1962 !.... original builder said the only diversions he could see from original incarnation were:
    >Radio & Antenna
    >Chrome acorn head bolt covers
    >Knife handle dipstick
    >Chrome shifter boot plate
    >Schnider Cam Sticker in back window

ha ha Love it, yes don't want to be "that guy"

To me it's really simple... if I have a vision of how I want a Model A Hot Rod, I can buy a shell out of a barn or a stocker & make it exactly how I want it as many people do & that's great, after all isn't that what's hot rodding is all about? However when I have a car such as Snewpee... complete, not gutted or "updated" nothing newer than 1970 & in all reality, nothing new since 1962 aside from the few changes listed above, good god I even verified with original builder that the tires were the same he installed when he put it on the road in 1962... well... that is a totally different ball game & I think as I get Snewpee on the road & out to a few shows I will be able to share with people and then some who are perplexed by my "vision" might be able to appreciate why... ha ha yep I don't want to be "that guy" Good Stuff, Thanks

WC145, Tony Martino and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Be prepaired to become a history teacher!
    When you go to a show, you will be
    suprised how many people will want to hear
    your story.
    You are the custodian of a rare unique piece
    of American history!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

How much on top of a 1-10 scale, would it be when going to a show, and some know it all comes and claims, that not how they where, and you can beond aresnable doubt prove that its as found/left/build, almost down to the small items!

About 99? Right!

Best peace of American history? Not that it matters to me, but wasent this canadian history (also)?

I remember you wrote some where there was used parts from a; mercury car.
    Only Canadians have Mercury trucks. To the rest of the World it would be from a; mercury. :cool:

But its even more rare, being canadian. :)

Denns1989 and Runnin shine like this.
  6. Very cool Model A, I hope you have a great time with the rebuild.

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. Yep it'll be fun shuttin up a few know-it-alls :) that never gets old ! Yes the suspension is from a 1947 Mercury "118" 4 door sedan, I believe that's correct only Canada had mercury trucks.
    American / Canadian, all the same to me, I live in a boarder city, have relatives in the States, have worked in the US & even lived in the great state of Texas for 2 years & proposed to my wife on the riverwalk in San Antonio, our similiarity's greatly outnumber our differences as nations -
    On that note, Snewpee is assembled with "Robertson" fasteners which you only see on Canadian built models, think that "Philips" fasteners were used on US built models... I didn't know that until my wife bought her Model T last year.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Ya I forgot CANADIAN History!!!!!!
    Sorry! Sorry!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know there aint that big differens between the US of A and the Big White canadia outback except the weather.

My point being that some States have alot(!) of old rods. Some States have Rod, and still does.

So finding a beautiful survivor, in a please that has snow and possible salt, is even higher on the cool scale.

Hence it being a Pre-70 build, does it have MPH speedo?

What is robertson fastners? Philips? Cross head screws?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. Torchie

Torchie

Glad that my post struck a chord with you. I thought that it might.
    Hard for me to believe that the St Ignace show is going to be 40. That would make me..................
    I was there for the first 2 years and I haven't been back since. I am not that far from you as I live about 30 mins from the bridge and that show was the only one that was real close. Haven't been in the Sault (Soo) in years.
    Keep at it you are doing great.
    Torchie.

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now this is only IMO but I use to drive the Big Rigs up into Ontario. I have found that Canooks seem to be nicer as a whole. I always thought I was nice people and I consort with the same but trips up north made me feel like the US is one giant NY city if ya catch my drift. I know I just made somebody mad somewhere, see what I mean about us down here? We're just not as nice.

"I need my mirror boy"

36couper likes this.
  12. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

"How Canadians are different from Americans"...(A little off topic but pretty funny.)

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

You've been faithful to this little car and its history for so long now, I would like to suggest changing the spelling of its name back to the original way it's been spelled all its life...Snoopy...sounds cool, looks cool in print. Snewpee makes me think of small animal urine and doesn't look cool in print. My .02.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  14. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

I agree 100%. I doubt Charles Schultz' estate would mind.
    You might be able to exchange the plates too.....

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If you go back to when he bought the plates for Snoopy earlier in the thread you will see that the new spelling "SNEWPEE" was dictated by availability. We all would agree that sometimes you just gotta roll.

"I need my mirror boy"

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. Stick with the SNEWPEE plates.
    It's your first addtion to the history.
    Don't mess with the karma.

WC145 and Denns1989 like this.
  17. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Remember what I was reminded of by a buddy of mine regarding the long list of warts I was making up as a punch list. He said, "Nothing major. Just needs a bit of love here and there" After thinking on it, I realize he was correct.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Small update..
    670 - 15 U.S. Royal 1" Narrow White Walls Ordered.
    Found a shop to turn my brake drums, dropping off tonight.
    Just called the original builder to let him know I drove Snewpee 20 feet under it's own power, he was happy to hear that, he wants a copy of the shore picture & he has a cold beer waiting for me any time :)

WC145, Markmonty, Weezy1930 and 2 others like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Any Update, is a good Update!

But progress reports is fantastic!!!! :)
    :cool:

Keep at it, lad.

What will be next, and does it come with pictures? Or video, we love video :D

20. How about a picture ? I forgot about this one, took it when hauling home & we stopped for breakfast - yeesh already started to forget how dirty it was !

20140823_110238.jpg

WC145, Hotrodmyk and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Good call.

22. Torchie

Torchie

All good news to hear. Many shops won't or don't know how to turn those old style Ford drums/Hubs.
    Can't wait to see pics of snewpie with the new sneakers on it.
    Torchie.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Only had a few minutes with Snewpee this weekend, but got a few small things done - penetrating oil on the bolts that will have to come out for engine/tranny removal, load up rims so I can get new tires mounted (have to pick up new tires at shipping place this week !)
    Decided to take some dimension pictures, never did actually measure how much it was channeled & how much the rear fenders were slid up the body.. here they are :

20141115_164222.jpg

and the red is red oxide primer...not rust ;-)
    20141115_164307.jpg 20141115_164405.jpg

WC145 likes this.
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

dont feel too bad about the awful work on the frame. Lots of cars from the 50s have terrible work underneath. I have a 31 coupe that was built in 1954 and it looks like the builder did not have a tape measure. The frame is not square and the decklid would not fit until I got the brass out of the 'coupe split' and the quarter panels went back where they belong. This car came without the engine so I put an adapter against the 39 transmission and have driven it with the sbc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Robert Crosse likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Where is the link to your fix it threat? :D

26. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Tony you put in just a few words what I have been trying to understand since I got my coupe project. I just turned 66 on the 12th, but when I get in the coupe, it's 1966 and I'm 18 again.....and life is good....:) and I smile and laugh alot.

Thanks

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. AKGrouch:
    The feeling you get is the joy of simple things, early days when
    there was way less stress. It's all but lost today until a project like Denns1989,
    and Snoopy come along and put it all back in focus!
    He gets it! Those of us old enough to remember those times get
    renued hearing , watching and remembering.
    Too bad the HAMB can't reach more than just us hotrodders.
    But we can still spread the word.
    PS: Happy Birthday!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  28. Okay tech question for the day, this is the rear outer bearing that I removed from Snewpee, it looks nothing like the recommended replacement bearing 1934 - 1950 "462" bearing that I ordered... I have a feeling that Snewpee has a Model A rear Axle with the 47 merc juice brakes... but not the entire axle as I assumed... Can someone confirm my suspicions ?
    bearing.jpg

29. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio