Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Smokes after sitting thru winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AB6DO, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AB6DO

AB6DO

My 57 with 1970 350/350 sits thru the winter time. Started it today, ran rough and smoked.Idle smoothed out as normal but the blue/white smoke did not go away. Fast idle for a few minutes but still smoked. Repeated this cycle a few more times, still smokes? Any suggestions.

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Check and or change the oil. Make sure gasoline has not leaked down into the crankcase. I would run it with fresh oil and keep my eye on it. Make sure it does not run hot.

If the oil has thinned from gasoline, a simple oil change may clear it up.
    One trait with Chevy small blocks is that they will pass oil through the valve guides. This oil will sit on top of the pistons. This causes the "Classic Chevy puff" when it is first started it up.

Rubber valve stem or "Umbrella Seals" may be worn or cracked causing oil, to run down he guides.
    It is also possible that the rings have stuck and need to loosen up.
    So if the oil is good and it's not having problems...like low oil pressure or running hot, I would run it for a while to give it a chance to clear up.

3. Look under the valve cover for sludge. Check the oil return holes.

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

fresh gas and take it out on the hiway.

Randall and caseywheels like this.

5. is the transmission shifting ok?

6. This new gas goes bad fast...I always pump the tank full of non alcohol premium before I park mine. We're lucky, we can still get non alcohol premium here. If you can't get it, I'd drain the tank and run the engine 'till the carb goes dry before closing the garage door for winter.
    I even fill the tank on my lawn mower with premium and let it sit all winter...just mowed my grass this afternoon and the mower ran great.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I might start smoking too if I was stuck out in the cold garage all winter!

bobss396, lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  8. The car is trying to tell you something, I'm in NY and drove my car a lot in the winter, even on 13 degree days.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  9. If your trans has a modulator valve it may have a cracked diafram and sucking oil into the intake.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. I have a 355 powered vehicle that sat for 2 years with a shattered ring gear while I built another project. Finally found another rear end and got it running again. It smoked pretty bad for a few weeks. I ran Marvel Mystery Oil in the old oil on the highway a few times, then changed the oil and plugs and it cleared up and ran great finally. I was starting to think I was going to have to tear it down and at least hone the cylinders/ re-ring it but it cleared up. I could kick my own ass for not starting it more often while it sat but I got lazy, pulled the battery for another car,...etc.

11. Probably just the old gas.

Randall likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

samurai mike X2. What do you have to lose?

mad mikey likes this.