Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smoke painted dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andamo, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Andamo

Andamo

I can remember back in the 60's guys would smoke paint their dash boards. If I remember right they would first paint the dash white and then somehow with a cutting or welding torch apply smoke from the tip onto the white paint. How did they do that ?

2. RodLand

RodLand

You light the torch and use only enough oxygen to stop the pure smutt, not much if any. It depends on the effect you want. Swipe the black flame over your panel in whatever pattern you want, just try this out on practice panels. You can also lighten the pattern with compressed air or a soft paint bursh. Then spray clear over it. Done! Least that's how I did it:D

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

Do a search on "acetylene painting".

It's been discussed here several times.

Rich

4. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Use a cutting torch. Turn on the oxy. so that that the "blow" function works. Light the torch using only acet., so that it smokes. Lightly wisk it near the panel & hit the oxy. blow function so that smoke blows onto the panel. Tricky to get a nice pattern: pratice on a test panel. If you don't like the results, though, you can wash it off & try again. Clear when finished.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

I don't take shit; I don't give a shit. I'm not in the shit business.