Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smog Motor-OT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by katzenhammer, Oct 15, 2003.

1. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

I got this 1984 Pontiac so that I can own yet another gas hog automobile. Anyways. I noticed last week that the water pump was starting to leak. tonight I tore into it and had a bitch of a time. One of the things that made it tough is that it is one of those lovely 305's that GM put all of that emmission shit on. Now that I have the water pump off I have decided to remove some of this smog junk. I began with the air pump but I am not sure how much more I can remove. I would like to minimalize this engine compartment as much as I could without screwin up the half assed computer that these cars are noted for. so when it comes down to it, what goes? What stays? (besides the motor)

The reason why I care is the car is in excellent shape, it has a newer crate motor with only 1000 miles on it and the rest of the car comes from North Dakota so no salt damage.

I know this is off topic but the help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in adv.

Justin

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The smog pump can go...along with the carb, distributor and EGR valve if you want to take it that far! A pre-1979 Quadrajet and HEI distributor will take their place and get rid of the feedback 'computer' system, and a block-off plate will seal up that peky EGR valve hole!

You'll need to remove and plug your A.I.R. lines to the manifolds and converter once you toss out the smog pump, though...don't want any funny sounding air and exhaust leaks!!

If it's just a driver and it runs fine, I'd leave it alone and put it back together stock. But if you really wanna de-smog it, that's not too difficult, as outlined above!

3. Does your car have to have it's emissions checked for license renewal?Kind of difficult to pass without all that shit hooked up.

4. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

so I can't just plug holes on the carb? Does this air pump also effect the air/fuel mixture?

No need to worry about emmision tags hopefully I will always live in the country and the car is 20 years old.

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The air pump doesn't affect air/fuel mix going INTO the engine, it helps to heat up the exhaust enough for the catalytic converter to work correctly. Taking it off will not hurt (or help, really) your performance, but it could shorten converter life (if you're still running one...they tend to "fall off" of older cars!).

The carb and distributor work together along with a primitive processor...to defeat them, you really need to replace them with earlier parts. Any older Quadrajet will bolt on to your existing intake, and an older HEI distributor is a drop-in swap. HEI units only need one hot 12v lead going to them keyed to the ignition switch to work, so they're cool that way!

6. mrrocket

mrrocket

FatHack has it. ALso, in removing that current Quadrajunk, and installing a older one, they tend to flow better and have less idle problems. If your going this far, yank the converter. If you dont want to mess with removing those crapped out manifolds to plug the holes, just cut and crimp em, or braze em....pretty easy. Good luck man.

7. Fat Hack pegged it.
    When you change the distributer you will have to clip the tach wire, it goes to the micro processor and will screw you up. At least on the Chebbys ya gotta do that.

If the smog pump is any good keep it. Then when you are building a killer motor you can hook the suction side up to the oil pan (above the oil level) to evacuate the vapors.

if it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]