Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smithy's or Cherry Bomb? Inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Mar 27, 2012.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Which muffler sounds better on an inline six with a stock exhaust manifold (not split or duals) and a single exhaust pipe? Smithy's or a cherry bomb or ????

Please don't suggest a Flowmaster, as I hate the way they sound. I am looking for that classic low frequency 6 cylinder purr.

Yes, this would be on stock low rpm high torque motors.

Also, if I go with the Smithy's, I forget the difference in sound when mounting the muffler one way or the other (does this apply to cherry bombs, too?).

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Straight pipe. No muffler at all.

3. metal man

metal man

I really like Porters. Very high quality product and a great,old time sound. Excellent service and fast shipping to boot. Also an alliance vendor.

4. I didn't run glass packs or mufflers on my 49 Ford flat six....twin carbs , Red's Header... straight back exhaust ... way to loud was really fun... Smithy's/Porter's sound really good once they get well worn in.. Do your self and your neighbors a favor put some Smithy's/Porter's on.. Just my 2 Cents worth from someone thats been there... you'll thank yourself later by ducking all the grief you'll get from people.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran a stainless header, 4 bbl and BIG cam in an otherwise stock 232 AMC 6 in my hot rod with 2 1/2" straight pipe. Loud? Yes. Tolerable? Yes. Dailey driver material? No!

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

OK, these are kind of daily drivers so even though the thought of a straight pipe is compelling, I am going to need to mellow the sound a bit.

I did not know of Porter mufflers; I need to learn more about them.

Sounds like no one (so far, any way) likes Cherry Bombs. I can deal with that.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockman Mellowtones!
    Pick the length you want, as well as the packing....'glass, steel, or none!

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

never have owned a 6 cyl. so i cant recommend one for you, but i do have many v8s and i love my cherrybombs. the sound of them takes me back to a different time and i love it.

9. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I run a straight exhaust on my t-bucket's 235. It's loud and sounds great. However, I've thought about adding a muffler and I'm looking for the same opinion on this as you.

10. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, Brockman Mellowtones!

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

I just used a pair of thrush 2"x 31 " glasspacks on my 300 ford using the split irion exaust manifolds the sound is great

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have Fentons with 20" cherry bombs that I am sure are blown through after 14+ years on a daily driver. I use an 'X-pipe' which really mellowed it down. I do 1.5-2K trips several times a year and want to hear my stereo so with this combo I definitely can.

That said, have you looked at the Porter website? They are a vendor here and the product is bullet-bomb-proof with many + testimonials. I will use them with a hot 261, '54 Corvette exhaust manifold.

Heavy sound may sound cool (dude, I love it) but not for a dd, long distance machine. Some day you'll want to hear classical music as you are rebuilding a '62 3sp+od and you just won't be able to hear the violins.

13. racer32

racer32

I don't have a 6, but my 283 has ram's horn manifolds into 2-1/2" pipes with the longest 2-1/2" 'bombs I could get. My pipes have turndowns right after the mufflers and dump just past the cab. They sound great MOST of the time, but there's a harmonic at around 30 mph that vibrates the whole flippin' truck.

14. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

I had a Cherry Bomb muffler on my 1960 Dodge D-100 pickup, 230 six cylinder, 3 speed on the column. It sounded good through the stock exhaust manifold. At idle it sounded really cool. . . . .

15. 52stude43

52stude43

I have a 223 6cyl. in my 61 Ford , singe outlet off the manifold then split with 1.5 pipes running out to the back with 3" chrome tips 24" long out the rear , it has a nice deep rumble when it is idling and a growl when you take off , a few guys think I have a small V8 when it is sitting there until I get on it:confused:

Attached Files:

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

I use a single 2 in, 2 out 2 1/4 inch Magniflow. The two pipes out the back sound great! Mininum back pressure too.
    Normbc9

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

cant go wrong with a porter... specially if its a single

18. 'Mo

'Mo

Porters. Still hand made (in America!). Steel Pack, with coil. Since the 1930's.

19. cederholm

cederholm

PORTER! - HAMB Allegiance vendor and very pleasant company to deal with.

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have both but prefer the Cherry bomb better . I would use the smallest one you can buy and place lose to the rear . If you place closer to the engine then it will be quieter . If you can get away with it , then just use an open pipe out the rear !

Retro Jim

21. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

That's probably got more to do with the turn-down and not the muffler... I used turn-downs on an old project of mine so I could drive it while saving to have a true "out the back" dual exhaust bent. They resonated horribly at about 15 MPH. As soon as I fitted an exhaust that ran out the back, it went away.

I'll assume the exhaust sound was getting caught between the road and the car floor, at 15 MPH the frequency was just right to turn my entire car into a tuning fork.

22. Fenders

Fenders

My first coupe had turndowns after the glasspacks, I didn't like the resonance, I think the turndowns caused the sound to reflect off the road and come back at ya.

I use straight-out now, after the back of the trunk.

23. American made? I'll have to go with Porter.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go with the Smittys if the Porters are over the budget. That said I've run a lot of Cherry bombs over the years and sold a lot of them in the parts house I worked in for a couple of years but to me they are more just loud and don't really have a the sound that the glass packs out of the 50's and early 60's did when you could tell which one of your buddies was coming up the road or going past the house without looking due to the distinctive and different rap to each set of pipes. If you were building a mid 60's style thumper V8 then the Cherry bombs work and sound right.
    My daily is loud enough with the V8 and turbos at 3:45 AM, If I had cherry bombs on it the neighbor would be shooting at me when I passed his house and was hitting 60 at 3/4 throttle.

Like my musician Nephew says. You can play good or you can play loud and hope no one notices you aren't god. It goes the same for a set of pipes. Good sweet sound or just loud.

25. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I really like your T --- good choice of motor. Let's see what we come up with on this thread.

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Never heard of them! Holy cow, that's two brands now I did not know about.

27. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

I have a cherrybomb on my 235. Stock single exhaust and its nice sounding. Id recommend it!! And def the more you drive it, the better it starts to sound.

28. slammed

slammed

29. slammed

slammed