Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smith Little Torch??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldSkoolF100, Aug 20, 2011.

1. OldSkoolF100

OldSkoolF100
    from Tejas

Anybody using the Smith Little Torch? Looking for sheet metal stuff w/it.

It seems to be similar to the old aviation torches (Smith AW1A), Victor J27/28, Meco N Midget and Harris 15 from (back in the day).

Just curious if anyone has worked with it?

Don't reply if you are going to say "Go MIG or TIG". It's OA all the way for me. OA offers better welds and if done right on sheet metal, you don't even need freakin' filler rod...you just have to have some freakin' patience and skill...unfortunately too many HACKS today are plugging in and firing away and have forgotten the art of welding and fabrication. Their cars look like crap and if you compared welds, even to TIG...OA wins in the hands of a real welder.

Most of the early and greatest cars ever built (and raced at crazy speeds on the lakes) were OA cars.:p

2. BillWallace

BillWallace

Why do you ask? You already seem to know all there is about welding.

3. I've ones them, very light weight.
    They are popular in the jewelry trade.

4. ^^^^+1

5. Algon

Algon

These are similar to the old Airco mini-torches which I really like... I'm generally used to a Purox aircraft torch if not a standard Harris with an adapter. This thing is like using a pencil by compairison. The placement of the valve adjustments is nice too depending on how you hold the torch. Many small torch sets are this way but if I were to complain about anything it would be that I like the standard 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, sizing where I'm using a jeweler's tip labeled #4 in place of a # 2 etc. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a standard but if you change torches or tip sets the sizing is often different from one to another too. Nothing firing it up and trying it doesn't solve but I've always disliked that. Extended use also lends to the small torch starting to heat soak some where my heavy Purox never seems to get warm at all.

*X2 Mig has it's place but is the fastest way to ruin sheetmetal forever. OA is also great for welding early frames. You can TIG on Henry's steel all day long with great results but try something like a Grahm or a 30's Packard... You might as well be trying to weld grey iron mixed with oil brass.

6. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

there are a couple of things that need to keep in mind when welding with oxygen and acetylene. first of all the tip size is quite a determining factor, the bigger the tip the more heat that will be generated the smaller the less heat. do some practicing on some similar material before doing the actual project. practice is the key to getting the best end results. always keep in mind, if someone says they use propane instead of acetylene, propane is a cooler burning fuel compared to acetylene and there are different tips required to perform welding procedures.

as far as doing a fusion weld with a gas torch, remember the older material was produced a long time ago and over the years there has and have been some physical as well as chemical changes that has occured over the years not only from weather conditions but deteriation from being exposed to the elements. when a replacement piece has been made to replace something that has rotted away or if a modification is being made to something existing the new material is going to have a tighter grain structure than the original piece, especially if it is an area of attempting to weld together.

when getting ready to weld two pieces of material together with a gas torch the best results will be obtained when using a filler material. brass is not always not the best choise because the borax base flux that is used to get the brass to bond to the base material will leave a resdue behind no matter how well the area is cleaned after the welded area is cleaned. even when primer sealer is applied and paint is applied the flux is still there because it was asorbed in the pores of the filler material and over time will cause problems and the paint will start seperating from the surface.

when gas welding pieces to older car bodies the best filler wire to use is either wire coat hanger wire or even better yet the wire used to tie reinforcing rod together that is used in concrete.

the make up of the wire has very good elasticially and ductilaty, which is the best compatibility and is the easiest flowing material.

remember practice on something first then tackle your project.

7. OldSkoolF100

OldSkoolF100
    from Tejas

Awesome info and help...appreciate the replies and tips too! No, I don't know everything, Bill Wallace, just proud of the OA world of welding...I think too many young welders turn their noses at OA because of all these Discovery Channel shows. I've also posted questions before and get a fair share of "...MIG it" replies. I'm of the persuasion that new technology is NOT always better and I want to learn more about the old way of building things...and then do it. My metal shaping tools are old hammers, a tree stump and lots of sweat...it's challenging, fun and simple.

But I've learned a lot from some aircraft welders...and an amazing chap across the pond that there's still a place for OA.

Thanks Bernie's Welding and Algon for the great post.:)

Always more to learn in the art of welding....thank you!