Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smallblock Chevy Exhaust Question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kinky6, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

My tube headers hang a bit low (no brag, just fact) and every time I scrape them on a speedbump or something, I got a new exhaust leak somewhere. I want to get some shorter manifolds so I can keep the exhaust pipes from banging on stuff. This is a mostly stock engine (edit: a 350, but nothing special), 4 bbl, auto trans, in a '57 Chevy truck. Would you run short tube headers or rams horns? Thanks, Kinky6.

2. squirrel

squirrel

rams horns on something like that. headers if you need to go as quick as you can.

3. pitman

pitman

Tube headers w/a GM performance cam, and quiet mufflers. Nothing sounds quite like it!

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Tube headers do not make a significant increase in HP...altho they cost more than stock Ram's horns...on a 283" stocker, I'd stay with the Ram's Horns...altho tubes look like you've got a racing engine...or something more than stock...they are more of a nuisance than Ram's horn: hard to change plugs, get too hot for the wires, annoying to hang plug wires, etc. ...

However, if you want some good cast iron headers, Sanderson makes a wicked set, about $450.00, and Speedway makes a good set of stock looking Rams horns, about $300.00..

R-

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Late model shorty & intermediate length headers are all over for cheap, reduce em to 2.5 for the downtubes and you'll pick up a ton of clearance. Headers have a sound all their own, in a good way. good luck

6. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

block hugger headers work great,reduced to 2.25 pipe thats all that 350 needs...good luck ...rooster

7. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

if hedders were free power or gas mileage they would be standerd equipment on all new cars not just a few high performance models.more often than not they will cost you power.

8. squirrel

squirrel

first set of headers I bought in 1979 knocked a half second off the ET at the strip....yeah....they don't work...sure....

Many new cars and trucks have tubular exhaust manifolds, although they're not really what you'd call headers.

Still, for the truck in question, rams horns would be the way to go.

9. cruzr

cruzr

i just bought a set of the Speedway "Ramhorns" ,making a frizbee outa the headers on the engine now..............

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I like running shorty headers on some of my cars (the "not perfectly traditional" ones). Easy to install, good ground clearance, sound good, etc.
    In fact, I think Speedway has STAINLESS shorty headers on sale for Chevies now, for $139! Can't beat that!

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When I see ram horn exhaust manifolds, I think nostalgia and cool.

When I see headers I think exhaust leaks and hassles.

If you are tired of exhaust leaks go with the manifolds. Yes I know they have gotten a lot better over the years, but if you spent 25 years bending exhaust pipes you'd go with manifolds too.:D

As far as extra MPGs I don't think headers ever pay for themselves. If you are racing every weekend it would be a different story.

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

Rams Horns. A 'nothing special' 350 Chevy doesn't need headers. They look cool, yes, they are a clearance problem, generate more under hood heat (and more in the cab) and are more maintenance, as you already mentioned.

The Iron manifolds are durable and the Rams Horns flow well (for what they are). If the rest of the system is up to the task, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

We used to run 62 Corvette 2 1/2 inch rams horns in the before headers days. Might be a bit pricey now

14. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

you didnt say weather your clipped or not.i am assuming you are if your hedders are hitting.if you have a clip(nova camaro)you will have to get 45 dump ram horns to clear the steering.they sometimes can be hard to find.flow tech makes a shorty rear dump (clipster)type header that works fuckin great.thats what i run with 4 inches of ground clearance and have no problems whatsoever.

15. Kinky6

Kinky6

No, this frame isn't clipped; its some sort of early '80's full size truck frame. I bought the truck just to use as a cool looking parts hauler. The problem w/ the headers started when I went to a big/little tire combo on 15" five spokes from the 15x8 chrome bullet holes (ugh!) that were on all four corners. That lowered the front just enough to start hitting road hazards.

Thanks for the replys, :cool:

16. I used '82 up Camaro shorty headers that were meant to hook to the factory Camaro y-pipe on my lowered '84 pickup. I think I had to modify 1 tube on the drivers side. they swept back nicely and used a factory style flange.