Register now to get rid of these ads!

SMALL BLOCK CHEVY QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Sep 5, 2003.

1. burger

burger

i busted a stock rod bolt while assembling a '57 283. i tried to use one out of a 305 but it was too big (3/8??). are they 5/16???

thx
    ed

2. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I don't really know what size it would be (probably 5/16), but I know that 283's and 327's take different bolts than the bigger SBC's. Also, if you broke one assembling the motor I can't believe you'd trust 'em in a running engine. Might be time to bite the bullet and step up to a set of ARP's or somethin'! I've had a few stock rod bolts let go, and it'll cost ya a whole helluva lot more than the new rod bolts will. That's fer sure!

3. burger

burger

i suspect the bolt broke because i torqued it like it was a 3/8 bolt.

ps- if 283's and 327's use the same size bolts, then a 283 uses a 11/32 bolt.

4. 12packo94s

12packo94s

arp part # 134-6001

283-327 and inline 6 applications

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Go with the ARP bolts. It's better to keep the rods INSIDE the engine when it's running. Don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this one. [​IMG]

6. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

If you would decide to run ARP bolts, make sure to have the rods resized. The ARP bolts will clamp the rods together differently. Therefore the rods may not be perfectly round after you intstall the new bolts. The 283 rod bolts are different than a 305.

7. ..........and Ed, replace ALL the rod bolts. If you torqued the other ones like a 3/8's bolt, they're stretched and are now junk....new ARP's and a rod resize job......

8. why dont you build a real motor instead?

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hey Donkey, Why don't you take your mule ass and snide remarks and blow it up some Rice rod or gold chaining messageboard. Its obvious your a DORK. OTHERWISE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE OPINIONS on what YOU consider to be a good engine.This board is about nostagia not the ole Ford vs chevy vs mopar stupid shit. Try an intro... maybe we then can really ride your derrogatory ass.

10. hi im donkeypuncher

283= shit

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

fuck em...we don't want intros from dickheads...his mommy will catch him on the computer soon enough

12. justice

justice
    from Ohio

Donkey Huncher,

I am gonna have to side with the other guys on this one.
    It looks like you need a good dose of manners.
    There are a lot of people like you who run around stirrin' up the pot.
    This will be the only rise you will get out of me. If ya keep it up, most of us will just ignore you.
    We outgrew the "I'll get you at recess mentality" a long time ago.

Justice

13. yeah, my mom does get a littled upset, especially when i find pictures of hatch and emurder blowing each other on google

emurder = shit
    283 = shit

14. justice, you and most others can easily ignore me, but edmurder cannot because his 283 is shit

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It's like a fruit fly. You can swat at it all day but it never seems to go away. Then when you quit swatting at it it just goes away. I'm through swatting!

16. burger

burger

Donkey Puncher,

It appears that you've been kicked off the message board, so you you wont be reading this. Allow me to retort anyway. Are you trying to get a rise out of me? Do you think I care what an ANONYMOUS person on the INTERNET thinks about my engine? Get a clue.

Ed

17. jdubbya

jdubbya

Just a quick note, Hatch-cool, 283's-cool, as for the anonymous one-punk ass queer, that will be all for now.

18. edhomo:

im back dude, so dont be dissapointed. are you sure you ment retort and not retard? anyhow, I do think you care what an annonymous internet user, such as the famed donkypuncher, thinks about your shitbox 283. why else would you respond to a banned member?
    Just a reminder,

edmurder = shit
    283 = boat anchor

19. jdubbya,

do not call the donkypucher queer just because you do not understand his power.

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I see Fecals the clown is back! [​IMG]

21. back with a vengance baby!