Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small Block 350 Main Bearing Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kyle Seal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

I've been building a stock 350 small block and am trying to find my main bearing sizes and am hitting some issues.
    I mic'd the crank, and came up with an overall average (crank journal 1-5) of: 2.4377"
    To my understanding, the main bore size is 2.6410"
    How do I use these two numbers to arrive at a crank bearing size?
    Is this math also applicable to the piston rods?
    Thanks in advance
    Kyle

2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

? I'm lost ...stock crank.
    Push-Rods.

Squirrl Knows.

3. squirrel

squirrel

2.448" is the standard journal size, 2.438" would be .010" undersize, eh?

similar math is applicable to the rod bearings. Standard journal size is right around 2.100", so if the crank is .010" or .020" under that then you need that undersize bearings.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

To someone "new" with engine rebuilding, it can be confusing; PISTONS/RINGS come in OVERSIZES, rod and main BEARINGS come in UNDERSIZES. And then, you can have a.010 under mainbearing froma prior rebuild, with a little crankshaft wear this time around , and you can get the undersize bearing but then in +.001 oversize; so it's undersize AND oversize. Confused yet?
    I am Butcfh/56sedandelivery.

5. I measure journals in 4 places. Front and back of the journal to see if it has taper and at 90* from that to also check for possible out of round. I agree it seems to have been ground .010 under and bearings are available anywhere.