Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods slow to start...part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Jul 11, 2016.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

Hey guys, I was on yesterday, with my 64 chevrolet pu with a 350 being slow to start. general rule points to a bad starter. I haven't got to the starter yet, ( thats tomorrow) but I just went out to start it just to see what it would do. been sitting all day, fired right up. let it run for about 10 minutes or so, and shut it off for a few minutes. tried to crank it, same thing slow to turn over like in the last post. but this time just to see what would happen, I hit the gas pedal a few times then turned it over, it turned over slow for a second then the starter turned over like a new one and it fired right up. any ideas on this??? I did it several times and it acted the same every time slow at first then turned over fine and fired right up. now I'm really stumped, still gonna put on a new starter tomorrow. anybody ever had this happen???

2. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Just had the same issue in my f100. It would fire up right away when cold but if you shut it off and restarted it would crank slow at first and then fire up. I had 2 issues. The timing was just a little off and I was having a fuel delivery/carb issue. Fuel pressure was low and the carb was bleeding a little fuel after it shut off so it would be sort of flooded when you went to restart unless it sat for a couple hours. I rebuilt the carb, threw a new pump on and timed it and it's as good as new.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. southern thunder

southern thunder

4. southern thunder

southern thunder

thanks for the help