Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slot Mag Sizes and other Errata

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C9, May 21, 2009.

1. Slot Mag Sizes and other Errata

Y’all probably know that I’m a fan of slot mags.

Amazing how many different manufacturers, styles and sizes there are out there.

Most of them are pretty good looking, but I saw a pair yesterday that were kinda flat looking.
    Didn’t care much for those.

It is surprising what you can find in the junkyards and garage sales.
    Most times for not too much money.

Five spokers, Torque Thrust styles are few and far between and I think that’s because when they change hands, it’s probably from one hot rodder to another.

Lotta history with slot mags as well and it does seem to have been the wheel of choice for a lot of early day fuel cars.

One interesting bit is the bolt pattern or lack thereof.
    You can find them in 4 ½", 4 3/4", 5" and 5 ½" as well as four lug and six lug.

You can also find them in Uni-Lug style.
    The Uni-Lugs requiring a special oval, offset thick washer.

There’s also an oval bolt pattern style that takes standard mag lugnuts and round washer.
    I have found that these wheels work best if the washer is 3/16" thick.
    Using the thin washer that comes with lugnuts will have the thin washer coning into the over size lug oval hole which means wheel torque has backed off.

A lot of guys don’t like this style mounting hole and perhaps for good reason.
    I’ve been running a pair of 10" x 15" American Racing wheels since 1985 with no problems.
    No problems because not long after I got them I realized the need for a thicker washer.
    An interim fix is a hardened washer which is about 1/8" thick, but the best fix is CenterLine’s thick (3/16") round washer.
    Easy to find at the swaps or straight from CenterLine.

There are some thick washers available at the swaps that are manufactured by others - probably no-got-no-clue, known otherwise as we-don’t-care-China.
    These work, but will take a set inward.

After a couple of remove and replace cycles as well as hitting the flared over due to the coned in washers edge of the oval hole with a rat-tail file, aluminum stops moving and things remain as they should.
    Note that I’m not filing in the holes proper and enlarging them, but on the top edge so the mag lugnut will slip into place by hand.

Anyway, I’d been looking for a pair of 8 ½" x 15's for a while and found a kid who wanted the somewhat common 7" wide wheels.
    We swapped and I threw in a twenty for boot so we’re both happy.

Interestingly, the new 8 ½" wheels are ET-1V’s, a good brand and they have the machined step for the offset Uni-Lug washers.
    Along with that, I was lucky enough to find ten of these washers in a coffee can full of old mag lugnuts I’d bought about 5 years back and used some of the lugnuts to mount roll-around tires.

Strikes me that the offset 3/16" thick oval washers are a heck of a good system.
    Got a couple places to clean up where someone apparently laid some torque on the lugnut’s and bent the machined step edge in a bit, but it’s minor and no big deal.

Along these same lines I’ve found a few wheels that have round steps machined in them and these take a thick round washer with offset hole that gets spun around to make the bolt pattern correct.
    Not as foolproof as the oval offset washer, but it was probably done to cut one step out of the manufacturing process.

Lotta times I find some wheels that make for good trading stock.
    I did yesterday.
    A pair of 10" x 14" that are in great shape except for a small bit of curb rash on one wheel.
    These were apparently factory polished and a touch of hand rubbing with "mag wheel" polish will bring them back ok.

I also found one that looked like a 13" four lug Pinto slot mag, but let it slide.
    Probably shoulda got it for a garage hose hanger.

Still working on my 4 ½" x 15" wheels and sanding them like Jeffrey James is doing to his.
    Although I’m using water with a few drops of dish soap instead of WD-40 like he did.
    Works well here in the desert heat, you don’t care if your cutoffs get wet, dries in no time anyway.

One nice thing about slot mags is, if you have access to a lathe you can make your own centers, hubcaps and even adapt stamped Ford hubcaps to the wheels.
    I’ve done all three and especially like the 34 Ford V8 caps I did a few years back.
    Makes for a one of a kind wheel.

Billet caps.
    [​IMG]

Adapted hubcaps.
    [​IMG]

You’re pretty safe staying with the major manufacturers since they made the best looking wheels as well as had SEMA approved on most of them.

Manufacturers I like are:
    US Indy Mag.
    American Racing.
    ET-1V.
    Ansen.

Many of these wheels are ID’d by positive castings of the manufacturers name, size and SEMA approved.
    Positive meaning the letters and numbers are above the surface of the wheel proper.
    The information found on the inside of the wheel as it should be and out of sight when mounted.

Take note that these manufacturers didn’t always put their name on the wheels.
    My 4 ½" x 15" wheels have US Indy Mag on one wheel and nothing indicating brand on the other.
    They are an exact match otherwise.

The 8 1/2" wheels mentioned above were factory polished and will clean up ok, but it’ll take a bit of rubbing.

Just for the heck of it, here’s an after and before of a pair of 7" x 15" wheels that were cleaned up, but not polished to a high degree since I didn’t want to invest too much labor because they were slated for the whitewall tires I tried on the 32 roadster as a small styling experiment.
    [​IMG]
    Note that a good polish job will last a long time.
    I did the front wheels on the 32 about ten years back and I think mag polish was applied once or twice, but most times they just get washed.

Backspacing can be problematic with these wheels - and I suspect many others - and I screwed up here since these wheels are 4" backspace.
    Even so they fit the 32 and cleared the external 4-bars ok.
    Interesting thing was I have several pairs of 3" backspace 7 x 15" wheels I could have used.

Doesn’t hurt though, these wheels will fit under the bobbed rear fenders of the 31 on 32 rails roadster if needed.

I started out to make a simple list of slot mag sizes I’ve found, but it expanded a touch as you can see.
    Perhaps the information will help someone, so no big deal.

Fwiw, here are the sizes of slot mags I’ve found.
    Not a complete list by any means and if you’ve had or used other sizes, add them to the list.
    Note that widths are measured between rim flanges on the inside where the bead seats.

13" wheels.

four lug, probably for Pinto, 4 ½" wide, backspace probably 2".

14" wheels.
    All five lugs.

5 ½" wide, backspace 2 ½" - from memory so it may be a little different, but not much.

6" wide, backspace 2 ½" - again, from memory.

7" wide, backspace unknown.

10" wide, 4" backspace.

15" wheels.
    All five lugs.

4 ½" wide. Backspace 2".

6 7/8" wide, weird size, but they measure 6 7/8" and are factory marked that size.
    4" backspace.

7" wide, backspace 3" or 4" depending.

7 ½" wide, backspace 3" or 4" depending.

8" wide, backspace unknown.

8 1/2" wide, backspace 4" on the ones I have and more than likely 3" backspace wheels were made.

10" wide, 2 7/8" and 3" backspace on the ones I own and have owned. There’s probably a 4" backspace available since a lot of other 10" wide five spokers and CenterLines have 4" backspace.

15" wheels.
    Six lugs.

Chevy pickup bolt pattern.

I understand there’s a Toyota bolt pattern out there and have been told they are the same, but I’d be careful here.
    I ran into a Metric/Inch conflict with a pair of steel wheels off an 88 Chevy ½ ton pickup and my American made tandem axle open trailer.

I tried one of the wheels on the trailer, it slid on so I figured that was it.
    After tires were installed and the first lugnut spun down, I realized the wheel didn’t really fit.
    Sometimes I really outsmart myself.

Wheels I’ve heard about, but not owned.
    9" x 15",
    9 ½" x 15",
    12" x 15"
    15" x 15" - I kinda doubt this one, but maybe. Dune buggies and some of the later fuel dragsters ran some wide wheels.
    I understand there is a wide 16" slot mag kicking around, but that’s the extent of my information

I wonder too if a 5" wide 15" wheel was manufactured?
    With a 2 ½" backspace it would work well for a lot of open wheeled and fendered cars.

If you know of other size slot mags, add them to the list if you would.

I realize steelies have come back into vogue and in fact they never really fell out of favor as more than a few build great looking cars with a great stance.

Nice part about steelies is, if you can’t find the wheel you want, you can have it made or make it yourself by mixing and matching centers and rims with a little welding.

I often wonder why slots fell out of favor.
    Seems that most are looking for five spokers, Torque Thrusts and the like.
    Other than difficulty in finding exactly what you want size and style-wise, the five spokers are somewhat limited in what you can do to make them a little different from the other guys.
    Not so with slots.
    They have a flat center hub and you do a lot with them.

I have yet to see another slot with a billet center hubcaps like I used to run or the 34 V8 re-pro caps that I now run.

I’m looking for a couple of single wheels to match up with some orphans I have.
    One, an un-branded Ansen looking wheel in 8 ½" x 15".
    This is from the back.
    [​IMG]

Another, a 5 ½" x 14" to match a Western Wheel that’s destined to be a spare tire if it comes to it.

It’s identical to the 5 ½" x 14" wheels now on the front of the 32 although the WW’s are now turned inward.
    Much better with the blackwalls.
    For some reason the front whitewall made the car look visually shorter.

More than likely the older five spokers and Torque Thrusts were made in sizes similar to what’s listed above so finding exactly what you want is theoretically possible except for the little fact that you can’t hardly find them at the usual places.

Like the strangely made flat front slots, some five spokers are a little strange looking, but the good ones are a thing of beauty.

Looking for slot mags is a lot like what the restoration guys do.

For them, it’s the hunt and not necessarily the find.

Next time out for me, go a little further afield.

There’s a few small junkyards in not-too-far-away towns and you never can tell, a guy could get lucky....

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. chevy3755

chevy3755

thanks for the info.......I like those wheel also and jhave several sets...............

3. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I've had a pair of 15x12's, guessing they were US Indy's but were not branded. Don't remember the backspace. Only clue I have about brand is from seeing US Mags listed in some catalog (MAS?) as being available in 15x4 1/2" up to 15x12.

16x11 was a pretty common size for race wheels in the 60's through the early 70's, but it would seem most were magnesium. A guy posted pics of a pair of Halibrand 16x13 Dragster wheels the other day, so I guess at least a few sets were made in that size as well.

BTW I believe I have seen the Fenton brand on various slot mags and Torque-Thrust knockoffs over the years.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jay, you always have good stuff to write about.

5. Thank you gentlemen.

El C., was just thinking about it yesterday while I was doing the runnin' around checkin' on stuff deal.

Maybe one more place today....

6. MilesM

MilesM

I have been hunting some 15 x 6" wide six lug for a trialer. could be 5 or 5 1/2" wide also if they were made. Thought they would be easy to find but all I find in six lug is 15 x 8 and 10".

Need five if someone has them stashed away!

7. I've owned several 9.5 x 15" wheels. All (the ones I owned) were made by US Wheel.
    I heard once that it had something to do with a lawsuit by Ansen and that they were not allowed to make them in 10 wide. But its like so many things you here I think.

Here is something odd I think.

I have a pair of Ansen Sprints by computer here at home that measure 5.25" x 15 I think I bought them as 5.5s as I recall. I thought the size was odd on them when I was at work the other day but I didn't want to have to come back and print a retraction.

Here is something else interesting that I found out about a year or so back. The US Wheel Indys weigh less than the slots they make that don't have Indy embossed on them. I have a pair of Indys (10" wide) and a pair of the other US Wheel slots (9.5" Wide) and the pair of Indys is noticably lighter when you pick them up. About 3 pounds for the pair if I recall. So if a little unsprung weight is important??

I've always been a slot mag type also BTW.

Cool post. Good info

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  8. Went out to look at a rumored set of four 4 1/2 x 15's.

Not there, never were there, they had none they told me.
    While I was looking at the big rack of wheels and seeing a couple of common 14 or 15 x 7 slot's.

I need to stay home and get some stuff done, but lately the temps have been down and it's a good time to chase parts.

Yesterday, I found a fairly nice set of 15" slots with - the guy tells me and I think he's right - 5 1/2" pattern.
    A pair of 6" or 7" wides and a pair of 8" wides.

Ford pickup bolt pattern I believe.
    (My size list is in the other computer and I haven't moved it over yet.)

Might be a good deal for someone.
    Lemme know and I'll pass the info along.

9. stinger12

stinger12

I've been looking for a pair of US Indys (15x8.5's, 3.5'' backspace, 5X4.75'' lug pattern...no unilug) for quite some time now with no luck:(

Nice post though - great info for us slotters!

10. As noted, my 8 1/2 x 15's are 4" backspace and I'd rather have 3" backspace.

Made two stops vis a vis slots today . . . any ol excuse to run around in the roadster, besides hitting the Iron Skillet for breakfast.

Small tire shop had a couple of 7" x 15" wheels mounting a pair of rock-hard probably ten years old Mickey Thompsons which were maybe 8" wide and 25" tall.
    Only $140. a pair.
    Nice guy, but he's dreaming methinks.

I talked to a local hot rodder today and he's pretty sure there were some 5 1/2" x 15" made.

Those would be a good option if a guy couldn't find the 4 1/2" x 15" slots.

Unless I can think of another place to hit - around here anyway - that's about it for the searching.

At least until mid-June or so....

11. Killer

Killer

dang thats alot of good info!

C9, I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago to visit my ailing Aunt... next time I come through, I'm looking you up!

12. I'll look forward to it.:)

13. I remember seeing U.S. mags in the paper for 29.99 in the mid '70's. That was a lot when your 15.

14. Slots are under valued in my opinion. While I do have Cragars all around on my 57 I also have a full set of 15 x 8.5 Dan Gurney slots and a full set of 15 x 7 ET slots.Was thinking of putting the 15 x 7,s on my car trailer but was told they might not be safe/reliable. They would look cool though!

15. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Fenton Gyro's were pretty cool slot wheels. The rears (I had 15 x 8.5) looked approximately like the other brands. The front runner (15 x 3.5) is the best looking of ones that were made in the late 60s/early 70s. It has no discernable lip between the front edge of the rim and the curved surface. The can be seen on several famous drag cars of the day (Nicholson's Maverick, for one), and worked ok on the street. I still can't believe I let mine get away....(IDIOT!!).

16. stinger12

stinger12

I thought they were 3.5'' backspace?

17. The 8 1/2" x 15" pair I just got are 4" backspace.

And the 7" x 15" pair with WW's mentioned also have 4" backspace.

Guessing here, but on the wider wheels - 8" & 10" anyway, after that all bets are off - seem to have either 3" or 4" backspace.

Went to a BBQ yesterday afternoon.
    Spotted a set of slots that look like 7 x 15's on a Ranger.
    They appear to have 3" backspace.

He's springing for a different set of wheels and I have 1st dibs on the slots.

That'll give me two sets of four for both Chevy and Ford.

Not sure what I'll do with them, they make good trading material so I'm not worried there . . . except for running out of room in the shop....

18. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I also like the vintage aluminum slot wheels.

A lot of guys complain about magnesium wheels being too expensive, so they run modern wheels on their hot rod without considering the old aluminum slots.

Not much I can add to this post except I've owned a couple pair of 16x10 Ansens. 16" slots are pretty rare:

[​IMG]

I also used to run this combo on my 55. 15x12 Ansen Sprints and 15x3.5 Fenton Gyros:

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  19. I remember seeing those front wheels on more than a few drag race cars.

Those are called "Pizza Cutters?"

Talked to a salvage yard operator in Bullhead last week.
    He's a hot rodder and commented that slots were hard to find sometimes and other times they showed up in bunches.

Fwiw, those are not the 'flat' front wheel I mentioned above.
    The ones I saw were about 7" x 15" and the pattern was flat and unattractive.

Not an offset wheel for FWD, just weird.
    Probably done that way for ease of casting or whatever.

I've run into precisely one 3 1/2" x 15".

At the Long Beach swap meet about 2002.

Asked the guy how much, he said "$100.

I thought for a bit and asked what the other one looked like.

He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "If I had two I'd be running them."

I passed, probably a good thing since I'd still be looking.

The (fairly sure) Ansen with blue painted back shown above in 8 1/2" x 15" was toted around for several years by a friend.
    I mentioned I was looking for slots, he grabbed it off a high shelf, handed it to me and said, "Here, I've been looking for a mate for this for a long time. Now it's your problem."

Looks like an accurate prediction.

I've seen several aluminum wheels with the same shade of blue paint on the back.
    I wonder why that did that?

I have a pic of the front and I'm pretty sure the slots aren't painted blue.

This pic, taken by a long time friend shows how good slots can look with a little bit of work.
    [​IMG]

And one reason I'm looking for particular sizes is, I thought it would be cool to have a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the 31 on 32 rails roadster to change the look now and then.
    A little less rubber rake on the 31 for sure and the above pic exaggerates it a bit.

Even so, the steelies fit the personality of the 31 pretty well and they'll be on it most times....

20. Weasel

Weasel

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  21. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

I like them also, have a 15x8 that I'm looking for a mate to. Have to dig it out and see what make and backspace it is. Here's an old set that I had for about 30 yrs that went on the T. 15x10 and 14x6 If my memory serves me correctly.
    I checked and the single wheel I have is a Fenton Gyro 15x8.5 with a 3" backspace, 5x4.5 Ford pattern. If anyone has a spare drop me a PM.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  22. Drive Em

Drive Em

I buy every 15" six lug slot I find as they can easily be re-drilled to the 6 x 5" bolt pattern which is what vintage sprint cars used. The pressure plate hides the extra set of holes and no one would ever know. I also have several sets of 14" and 15" slots in many backspaces and widths.

23. mac762

mac762

I'm a fan of slot mags too. Around here we call them "kidney beans". I have a pair of Fenton Gyro's in 15 x 3 1/2 in the front and a no name pair in 15 x 10 for the rear. I bought a pair of 15 x 8.5 Western wheels at a junk store just a while back for $35. I was so happy. I passed on the 14 x 7 pair for the same price. I wish I hadn't.
    If you're looking for some a good tip is to go to your local recycler's and tell the guy running the aluminum scale.

24. Yep, been in there a few times.

Weird one last time was seeing a bunch of big cardboard drums full of aluminum baseball bats.
    Didn't know there were that many bats in the whole darn town....

25. Glen

Glen

Thats pretty ironic....I almost bought a set of your magnesium wheels from the classifieds, but I couldnt brings myself to spend the money on THIS car. I ended up with a set of these.

Attached Files:

26. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Those look like 15x11 Fenton's. Good call and they look great.
    But a pair of aged mags would look killer on that car too.

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

How did you get the wheels to polish that well ? I have a set of 7 and 8.5 X 15 5 on 5.5 that I would like to use. I dont mind the work it will take.

28. aceuh

aceuh

Since you like slots so much here's a wheel guide I scanned out of an old mag that shows a lot of the different variations and manufacturers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some individual ads,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not trying to get things off track...Just thought you might find them of interest since you dig the slots.

29. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

14 X 15 / 4" bs

CC

[​IMG]

30. Great collection of pics Aceuh.

Thanks for scanning them in.

Proinfo, those are some seriously deep wheels.
    Good looking too.

Other manufacturers probably made the 5 1/2" x 14", but now I'm wondering if the same size wheels on my 32's front were made by Ansen.