Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slip yoke woes..... Now what do I do??!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Sep 6, 2009.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

So, I have no pics.... (of course) I'm at work thinking about the motor trans and rear I picked up this weekend and I don't know how it's gonna work.

Its a drivetrain out of a longbed 66 F100. Motor is a 352 FE and the trans is a 4 speed with granny 1st. It has a U-joint at the tail, a mid shaft, a slip yoke at the center cross member then a U-joint at the rear end.

Now my application for my coupe, I know I need a slip yoke.... but the trans doesnt have one. I was only using the granny tranny because it came with the deal and I know it is stout. Is there any way to adapt this trans for a slip yoke at the tail?? Or would it be better to adapt another transmission to this motor??

2. squirrel

squirrel

get a one piece driveshaft from a short bed truck, it will have a slip yoke at the front, behind the U joint. Or you can have a driveshaft shop make one, using parts from Spicer (it won't be cheap)

here's what I'm talking about...this is a NOS shaft for a 70s ford truck on epay, kind of pricy

Attached Files:

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Ok, thanks squirrel. Maybe take a walk thru the scrapyard here and look for that shaft then. NOS is nice, but I'm trying to stay in a budget.. (hence trying to make this trans work!) Can you PM me the ebay link so I know what year spread this shaft is used on?? Thanks again!!

4. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Call around and see if any local driveline shops have a used yoke. Many places stock and sell good used parts cheap.

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Get an XJ-S driveshaft. They are very strong and they are two piece with the slip joint in the center. The ujoints might even be the same.

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Right on guys, thanks a bunch. I brain farted on the slip center shafts! I need to take a walk around the local junkyard. its filled with farm trucks. I know there are a few jags sitting around too, I'll look at those while I'm there too. Thanks again!!!

7. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

These drive shafts were used as far back as the forties. The 1/2 ton trucks with the HD 4 speed used it (they had a 6.5' bed). The tonners with the 8' bed used the hanger bearing and the 2 shafts like you have.

8. squirrel

squirrel

yup, lots of trucks used them. Trick is to find one with the same Ujoint size at the transmission end, and make sure the splines are still tight. They used them in a lot of older 4x4s too. don't know how long your coupe is..you might get by with one of them shorty ones.