Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ~~ Slick Willy's '54 Chevy ~~ (stock to mild build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So, I am quite reluctant to start a build thread due to my lack of progress on anything lately but what the hell, here goes!!
    I picked up this 1954 Chevy 210 DelRay locally (just outside of Boston). The car had been traded for work by an hvac guy from an older lady doctor who had bought it brand new, he never drove it and let it go. For a New England car it is in great shape, just a little rot in the lower rear quarters and some dents and dings from parking lot abuse. My biggest pet peeve is evident on the car though...sheet rock screws through some of the trim (man I hate that)...
    I dragged it off the car trailer and got to work...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I wish I had taken pictures of it before I ripped out the carpets and cleaned the interior. I wasnt quite sure that the white inside was actually white!! But some elbow grease and a nasty chemical headache later I was real happy on the way they cleaned up!
    The stitching on the seats had started ripping through pretty bad so the seats came out and were sent to the upholstery shop (my sisters house...dont know if Ill ever see them again:rolleyes:)
    I was really pleased with the floor pans...only a few small pin holes and surface rust ( I expected huge holes from past experiences) and the trunk was super clean!
    I then went to a show and saw Chevy54 's car and just couldnt get it out of my mind!:D
    [​IMG]

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The whitewalls on the front are too big and I am waiting to do a tire swap with another car. It will be running 6.70-15s all the way around. I did attack the suspension and dropped the rear with a 3" block kit from chevs of the 40s and the front went down with -2" springs from jamco. Im going to live with its height cuz the roads around here suck and this is going to be my long weekend hauler!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So the "plan" for now is to get her up and driving this summer, dual exhaust through fenton headers, a little engine dress up, white tuck and roll interior, metal flake roof, wide whites, top secret wheel covers, and some body work...
    It all may seem cliche, but there arent that many of these cars done up in this neck of the woods yet!!
    But as it sits it makes some good yard art!!
    [​IMG]

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think the height looks great! My '54 Chevy is the first old car I bought. I still have it and would like to keep it around for my kid if he wants it. I'll actually never let it go and will probably sell my '52 instead getting rid of it. I have a plan in my head and I would love to stick to it. Instead of custom I am thinking more Hot Rodish with a 389 Poncho motor, Dark blue paint, Chrome Steel wheels with skinny WW's, '55 Chevy eye brows etc. Just a cool car for 1962-64 that can smoke the tires!

I love where you are heading too! Keep it coming!

6. i am sure don and hoop would come over and help

7. 6berry

6berry

haha i love the yard art!! sounds like its gonna be a pretty sweet ride

8. hoop

hoop

Slick just make the call.

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I know they would , john, but would they ever leave??:D:rolleyes::D
    Plus i would make don bring that flathead of his with him!!

10. hoop

hoop

Is my room ready?

11. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Slick= I have a Sawsall and a welder

12. I dig it!
    Lemme know if you need a hand.

13. poorboy

poorboy

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have a 351c and a c6 that would go in it nice.

15. hoop

hoop

I have 460`s but there only good for boat anchors.

16. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hey Bill I'd rock that car the way it is, or as a kustom! thats A great find!

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey Slick...car looks awesome bro...Thanx for the good words!! Im almost done rebuilding the entire suspension...better ride and way lower this year!!! See u at some of our events, Ill be at the Syracuse Nats next month, you?

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

No, Chevy54,im not going to be in syracuse, staying rather local this summer...
    And you "Ford Guys" relax...its staying straight with the six.
    Thanks for the comments guys! More to come soon!!

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Well, Ive got a little update for now...
    New head gasket, and side cover gasket...Im waiting for the valve cover stud kit, new radiator and hoses are in. The heater core leaks like a sieve so that will be patched or replaced.
    I installed the fenton headers and am keeping the stock intake for now due to a low budget. Im hoping there will be enough room for two pipes and the ebrake pivot! Its gonna be tight!! Im going to try to make an intake heat tube plate and plum that up this week. I also put in a manual choke just cuz i wanted to!!:D

[​IMG]

20. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I put it all back together just to fire it off and oh boy did the dragon breath fire!! its too bad I have to put an exhaust on it!!

[​IMG]

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had a dream that your car was my car only I did not know where I got the idea from. I dreamt about a stock looking '54 chevy with a mild lowering job, dog dish hub caps, painted black with a white roof. It was powered by the nastiest 327 with 2x4 intake and corvette valve covers though!

Love the engine makeover! Keep up the great work.

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Dont you just hate having to wake up?:D

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes I do. But I am stoked to hit the sack in about 5 mins!

24. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Lookin good Slick!! You will be ready soon then...what are you doing with the exhaust..out the side?

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

smithys, then out the back, as spread wide as it can be for now...I will probably plumb in front fender well cut outs later on if they fit!

26. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Something about 54 chevys.....I always like em... lovin it.

27. Awesome, you are doing one hell of a job!

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I love the dream sequence... very funny. I like your direction! :-D

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looking good bill.

i have this worst bee in my bonnet for a chopped 53...with a retarded amount of flames...

30. Was it a dream where you were standing in sort of sun-god robes on top of a pyramid, and there were hundreds of naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?