Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slick Willy Gets Rolled At Wicked HotRod!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So, as you either know or have heard the weather is always a question mark in New England. That makes driving a roadster always an experience!
    After being caught in a couple of torrential downpours and hail storms last season I swore this winter the roadster was getting a hood. I will tell you its not always bad getting soaked on a 90 degree afternoon but that soaking also reaks havoc on my carbs and ignition!!
    So with the idea in my head and the awesome guys at Wicked HotRod in Holbrook, MA volunteering their time and tools the ball was in motion...

I started off by making a template from sign board picked up at the local sign supply shop. Trying to find the posterboard at the craft store was impossible and brings up another tirade I wont go into...
    [​IMG]

From there with a few footnotes and measurements jotted down it was time to order a sheet of aluminum large enough to work. Thanks to Larry for being in the right place at the right time to deliver the stock for me!!

With the aluminum sheet on the table I traced out the pattern and got ready to see the machines in motion!! ( I didnt have any pictures of this step, I was actually working;))

Here is John, owner of Wicked HotRod, trimming the aluminum to a workable size...How's this for a shear!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I put on my gloves and wanted to help but was bumped out of the way by some guy who apparently doesnt wear gloves!!:D It was over to the roller....Thanks, Bob!!

[​IMG]

We then sized it up on a '32 grill shelle and got it close...Thanks, Bill for the shelle and lending a hand!!

[​IMG]

a few more cranks...

[​IMG]

Once the curves looked equal we went over to the notcher and the brake to finish off the sides...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My roadster was at my shop at home so a final fitting had to be done there. I could barely sleep all night so first thing this morning, around 10:30, I got out to the shop for a final fitment. After some grinding, filing, and finageling, I ended up with a good looking little bonnet!! I will be finishing it off soon with some nice accessories and hold downs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to thank all the guys of the South Shore Street Rods for their help and especially John and Mike at Wicked HotRod for opening their doors to all of us!!
    Wicked HotRod has an open house every other Wednesday throughout the winter...swing on by and/or checkout their website www.wickedhotrod.com

2. hoop

hoop

Looks real nice Billy!

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks great bill. can't wait to see it in person.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man, that's a great looking little roadster.

5. sololobo

sololobo

Hip tech post! And a real sweet lookin roadster! Thanx ~Sololobo~

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Thanks everybody!! i will get more pics up when i get all the doo-dads bolted on!

7. brady1929

brady1929

love your roadster

8. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah that roadster is really cool! Reminds me of Wally Parks but different all at the same time.

Love the shear!! Viva La Buffalo,NY!!!

[​IMG]

11. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Now get that beauty louvered!

Attached Files:

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I wonder if lovering would take the roll out of the hood with out bracing

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im not thinking of louvering it...but I think you will like what I have in mind, but for right now its top secret!!

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Like I sayed on our H.A.M.B. I would like to make a hood for my 40. A top hood like you did, open sides

15. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Talk to John at the next open house and get going Don!:D

16. nice job bill,now get it finished. moe

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Well, like anything else im calling it "finished" even though it will get a little more tweaking...

The hold down straps arrived from Eric at Hot Rod Leather (hoof22) and looked great!!
    [​IMG]

Oiled them up and attached them to the frame and hood...
    Added a few little do-dads...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I polished it up and brought it out to the light of day!!

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone that helped me out and lended a hand on this little project! And to hoof22 for supplying a great, high quality product!! Check out his website! http://www.hotrodleather.com/

18. Way, waaaaay cool! Metal shaping always catches my attention, those boys make it look easy. You might be a hot rodder if you build a hood for your car to keep the engine dry, yet a roof doesn't even cross your mind!

19. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

You might be a hot rodder if you build a hood for your car to keep the engine dry, yet a roof doesn't even cross your mind![/QUOTE]

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just got some trunk straps for my shoebox Ford (!) from Eric. Awesome parts fast and affordable.
    BTW.... Killer roadster. Nuthin like a flatty at full tilt.

21. love those straps. very nice and now you can forget about the engine drinking to much water!

22. To all of those who may consider louvering a hood on a roadster--DON'T DO IT!!! The windshield creates a low pressure area directly behind it as you go down the road, and all of the engine stink coming out of those louvers will get sucked right down into your face. On a closed car, you wouldn't notice it, but on a roadster---Don't ask me how I know this!!!!

23. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Ok how about no hood and a cowl yent open

24. Not sure about that one. Never had a car with a cowl yent. Never had one with a cowl vent either. I did have one with a louvered hood though---:D:D

25. adam401

adam401

I'm feelin that new hood and straps. New England boys have good taste when it comes to the fancy early lookin stuff.

26. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

love the hood man!

27. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting very nice car and hood. Leather straps are better than baling wire any day .

28. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I dont know what you Okies are into out there but that sounds dirty!!:D:D

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!