Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slant Six DODGE--BRING IT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, May 19, 2008.

1. TexasDart

TexasDart

the 32/36 is a bit small..I have one on mine and should of went 38/38. I've reported mine to fatten it up. It runs better now.

2. 123

from Seattle

There is a good thread over on slantsix.org right now about putting a weber on a slant. One of the projects my wife is going to do to her 66 dart, just need to find the time.

I will post pics of my wifes Lynx tonight when I get home.

3. 123

from Seattle

How stock is your engine? My wife's 66 Dart has a late model hydraulic cammed engine. We were thinking 32/36 would be ok but everyone I have talked to that has done it said that they should have gone 38/38 because they have to rejet and tune the hell out of the 32/36 to get them to work right. She is going with a stock 2bbl intake, Weber carb (electric choke) with a 66 Dart throttle cable and a set of Dutra Duals. The car is her year round daily driver, has 76 disks a bone stock cam, is punched 60 over and she is going to do the Cherokee rear disk swap when she puts in the 8 1/4 rear this summer.

4. 123

from Seattle

The Lynx, they show up on ebay and slantsix.org every now and then. I had a guy a few miles from my house that had this one that he sold me for $200 with the Canon adapters and he delivered it!

Originally made for 3 SU carbs but the adapters let you bolt on Webers. I am going to make 3 small wedged spacers so the adapters are level when on the car. The carb face on the intake is angled. It is going in my wife's 48 Aerosedan.

Sorry about the blurry pics, they were the only ones that I have saved to photobucket and the intake is buried in the trunk of the 48 under the 4 link and hydraulic parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Got my lynx off eBay Australia . Shipping was huge but it is in nice shape and I've never seen one in person. Scored a pair of S.U. 's locally fairly cheap so it all evened out... At least the way I justify things in my mind it did! I shudder to think what you had to pay for that hilborn.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393040438.018754.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 123

from Seattle

I was lucky and got a package deal on the 2 engines (both 60 over scca engins, a 170 and a 66 225), he took payments and he was happy that I got them because I have been looking for the Hilborn and 225 engine for almost 13 years. My dad used to crew on the car they were in back in the 60's.

7. Paul Vandervort

Paul Vandervort
    from Richmond

my 225 powered 63 dart wagon. has a 70's truck super 6 slant rebuilt with comp cam bored 30 over with the 727 trans. It's my daily driver.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. That's cool ,liking the holes in the hood

9. Ahh it's not what you know, it's who you know...

10. 123

from Seattle

Well, kinda. I had a buddy come over to pick up a 324 Olds for one of his projects and he looks at one of the slants in the garage and says "oh yeah, you're into slants, you interested in a fuel injected slant?" I as "what like a 4bbl with a jeep fuel rail?" he goes "no Hilborn".

My hands start shaking and knowing that there were only 12 of them made, I know one was in the Seattle area, sold to a guy that worked for the city of Auburn and that the chanses of there being 2 slant Hilborn units in the same area are next to none I ask where it is and he says it is in Kent/Auburn area. I ask if it was in a 56 Alfa road course car, he said no car but the guy collected old road course cars and had some Alfas. Turns out it was the same one I was looking for and we made the deal.

This also came with it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the link to all the pics...

http://s88.photobucket.com/user/360scamp/library/Hilborn slant six?sort=3&page=1

deto and CGkidd like this.
  11. 123

from Seattle

Page 7 of this thread has some.

12. 123

from Seattle

Hilborn and Joe Hunt mag are going in a race only 32 Bantam roadster. Webers/headers (headers and hand made intake are all one piece) were on a slant that was in a Porsche SCCA car and were mated up to a Porsche transmission via a hand made adapter plate and 8" VW racing clutch. They will go on a future project that is unknown to me at the moment. I have a few sets of the Clifford shorty headers (one in my daily 69 d100 and one set for my wifes 48 aerosedan). The headers on the weber intake wouldn't fit anything street driven unless it was a fenderless car.

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks for the info on why it leaned over,always wondered ;):D. Liked the idea but not too the right,being a stockcar racer,I tend to think only turning left. My Dad had a brand new Valant<spell,that he crashed a few months after getting it and I fixed it for him with a new front clip. From the day it was new,it's 3 speed floor shifter was bad :eek:,if u tryed to shift it into 2nd fast at all,it just fell over on to the floor like a dead tree.

14. Would like to see pics of everybody's valve covers. There's gotta be some rare cool ones out there. Like 123's unpolished, shaved ,dual breather one he scored( more pics of that one are welcome) here's one I have from a '64 Valiant. We extended the factory fins and I'm thinking of getting it chromed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395065886.000664.jpg

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

What carbs and intake does this have?

16. It's a lynx intake from Australia with SU hs6 carbs

17. Dam!! thats one sexy instake set up! whats the comp ratio, did you cut the heads for bigger valves? Shave the deck to bump up the comp ratio?

Me an a good friend built a 225 Super Six about 10 years ago that dyno'ed at 310Hp/390FtLbs. Here is a good link for building a Leaning Tower of Power!

http://flag.blackened.net/mopar/slant63.html
    http://flag.blackened.net/mopar/slant62.html

When we built our 225 we did some of the mods listed on the page and a few of our own. It ran like a 340 and sounded great, I had it in a 73 Duster 4spd and everyone thought it was a small block till I popped the hood and there jaw dropped.

18. Here is the latest on my 225 slant 6 00202_9YsgmqjTSWD_600x450.jpg IMG_20140927_211413.jpg IMG_20140926_114437.jpg My slant 225 6 into1 header.jpg IMG_20140926_121035.jpg

19. I have just retired the rail but am working on another slant for a gasser project just so I can keep my hand in in my old age.
    I also started writing another book after several suggested it since the last run. It is called Just for Fun and the sub title is the Story of the Development of the Senior Dragster. Was working on the engine chapter the last couple of days. All slant six stuff. Will be somewhat like my BB Mopar book but with more behind the scenes stories as this project started out quite different from any other.
    don

30dodgeboy and Mopar Man 73 like this.
  20. Hi Don,
    Will anyone else possibly take over driving duties on your /6 rail? Can't wait to read your new book once it's out. Please keep us all updated!

21. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I saw a NEW slant six intake made in Australia that looks a lot like the Hyperpak, but has some curves the Hyperpak didnt have. New for over 500 dollars. Think I saw it on eBay. anyone know anything about it?

22. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Don - sign me up for a package deal: the Big Block book and any Slant Six secrets and specs you care to share.

23. Here is my last run taken by my good Mopar friend Steve Sheehan. I love listening to the sound as it makes the 2-3 shift. Interestingly the guy in the Chevy rail has driven my car a few years back.
    I don't think I will have anyone drive it. I don't have the competitive desire anymore. I just like building something and trying it. If it works I am happy and can load up and go home. If it needs work I stick to it till it does. I have had three nibbles about selling it. I put a price on it and if it goes it goes. When I get the book done I will say so on this thread then. After 7 paper printings I switched the BB book to a DVD and PDF file. I will do this the same. Seems to work for everyone and shipping costs are way down.
    don

Mopar Man 73 likes this.
  24. A little OT, but I have an article on modifying a "70's slant 6 distributor" to put in my (stock) '28 Dodge,

The article didn't go into much detail- is there one distributor model that is better than others/would good to look for?

25. I caught that video on YouTube a couple of nights ago. Very cool :D

26. spanners

spanners

Try googling Aussiespeed for slant six manifolds

27. http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/slant-six-products/

great product, and a company passionate about Chrysler gear....

Don, have admired your knowledge and attitude for a long time, when you get some more done on your 'book', in whichever form, look forward to checking it out.

Cheers,

Drewfus

28. elba

elba

Back in the 60's I watched a 1961 Valiant run 14 second runs at Quaker city in Salem Ohio. I think the guys that owned it were the Tacket brothers. ( spelling ? ) It had a 4 barrel carb and a 4 speed. I think he won H/MP at the U.S. Nationals . Been a long time ago so my #'s might not be accurate.

29. IMHO the four barrel hurricane manifold is a very good design. The lengths look right and a lot of thought has gone into it. The slant six which was in its day one of the smaller ones was able to make its power because of the long intake manifold and is noted in European books on engine design as being the first production attempt at exploring ram tuning. (Now something every manufacturer is using. just look under the hood of your "new" car.) Unfortunately when the aftermarket companies came out with upgrades they didn't understand or care. The offy fourbarrel is 4 inches shorter then the stock manifold and has the carb positioned wrong so distribution is terrible. Swing the carb 90 degrees makes a huge improvement in drivability even in a race car but probably makes no difference at WOT. If I had the time I would add about 6 inches to the runners at least and expect a huge improvement. However with the availability of the hurricane manifold it is probably worth every cent to have it. The same apply for headers and not just slant six headers but most Mopar headers. Typical primary lengths are 32 inches and less which tune way above what a 225 based motor will see and so other then free flowing are about useless. I want somewhere between 38 and 42 inches depending on what cam I am running. Higher duration shorter pri length. I have extended many sets of header,, Some as much as 12 inches but these I now use I built to my specs and they WORK!!! The cylinder head often gets the blame but in fact a slant 6 at 6000 rpm need only 187cfm to be well over 100% volumetricly efficient and that is very doable.
    You will know if you have played with these motors yourself that sometimes you buy or do the trick setup and while you get an improvement it is not as dramatic as what you expect. That doesn't mean it was a bad mod. It means that somewhere in this engines there is a bottle neck and when you find it all the stuff you did that was good will come in in spades. So it was for me with the Tunnel ram and headers. What I got back was astounding and it pulled so hard it scared the daylights out of me. Imagine how Pat felt in his injected 427 FED when he had to scramble to put a run on a old slant six with a hydraulic cam! It was the same when I did the development work on the Old Reliable 440 project. I knew something we were doing including Momma Mopar was not producing results it should and when we found it, well the rest
    is history.
    Re your distributor question I just did one for my slant six powered gasser. I wish I had taken pics for you. Basically any dist is ok. Shorten one of the advance slots by about 1/3. Make sure the light spring is on the short slot's weight. That will get you in the door when running a HP or race cam and you can fine tune it from there with advance springs if necessary.
    don

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Drewfus and loudbang like this.
  30. Back in the day my uncle sam gave me a paid vacation to Viet Nam. The air force had some aircraft towing tractors with slant sixes and auto trans. One day some brake fluid was spilled on the valve cover and under the paint was a chrome valve cover.