Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Skip Barrett's custom '58 Vette - paging Rik Hoving...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chrisbcritter, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Over 20 years ago, a photo collector friend of mine sent me a batch of old Polaroids showing a '58 Corvette progressing from mild to wild custom. They somehow disappeared before I could get them scanned. By a major miracle, I found them again today in an old warehouse my boss owns here; he had asked me to help clear it out, and lo and behold there they were. Here are the early shots from 1959 or '60; the car was owned by Skip Barrett of Maryland; possibly the same Skip Barrett who worked for Barris Kustom in the mid-60s:
    skip barrett 58 vette 1.jpg
    skip barrett 58 vette 2.jpg
    Stock-ish, with pinstripes, a flamed hood emblem, and a couple extra mirrors. Next we see it at a 1961 custom car show at the Washington, D.C. Armory, and there have been some big-time changes:
    skip barrett 58 vette 3.jpg
    skip barrett 58 vette 4.jpg skip barrett 58 vette 5.jpg
    The last photos were taken at a Chevy dealer somewhere the same year. Now with a bubble top and relocated exhausts:
    skip barrett 58 vette 7.jpg
    skip barrett 58 vette 6.jpg
    skip barrett 58 vette 8.jpg
    From what I can see of the engine (not much) I wonder if this was set up with a supercharger?
    The signs are tough to read:
    skip barrett 58 vette 9.jpg
    skip barrett 58 vette 10.jpg
    Anyway, a forgotten piece of kustom history (although it might not be everyone's cup of tea). Thanks for looking!

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayuum...An Admirable Journey...Thanks for sharing...hope there are many more but those are all just incredible...every stage has provenance...did it have 2 levels of Bubble as the reward pic the bubbles look shorter...I think its my eyes...

3. Dig the aerodynamic ''space pod'' behind the drivers head!

loudbang, Chrisbcritter and Stogy like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Skip Barrett was a mfg. rep. he represented Roth also.
    skipbarrett.jpg